PDA

View Full Version : Postponed knee surgery/post #25

pomtzu
09-06-2012, 03:38 PM
For those of you that wanted to know what's what:

Good news is that I don't need a replacement, or even a partial replacement, but I do have to have surgery on a more minor scale. The MRI showed both the medial and lateral meniscus are torn, and they will have to be repaired, I had the medial done in both knees 20+ years ago, so here we go again. I'm scheduled for the 19th of this month and it will be an outpatient procedure by scope, so I'll be back home and dancing the jig by the end of the day. Well - maybe not dancing, but at least I'll be home.

So that's it. Thanks to all for the prayers and positive vibes - they worked!

moosmom
09-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Ellie,

I had knee surgery in March. I had what is called a "flap" tear. The recovery time was a piece of cake!! I was back to normal within a week.

pomtzu
09-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Ellie,

I had knee surgery in March. I had what is called a "flap" tear. The recovery time was a piece of cake!! I was back to normal within a week.

You??? Normal??? just kidding....:D

Yeah - I know it's a piece of cake since I've already been thru it twice before, but it is a little more involved this time and I might have a few more restrictions this time too. I'll soon find out. The worst part about it is starting physical therapy after 2 weeks of rest and healing. How I HATE that.

Karen
09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
But still, that sounds so much simpler than a replacement! Good news! NO jig dancing right afterwards - leave that to the Pet Talk Catmobile crew!

caseysmom
09-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Glad you got good news!

kaycountrygal
09-06-2012, 05:39 PM
That's wonderful news! I'm sure your furbabies are happy for you also.

robinh
09-06-2012, 07:15 PM
So much better news than a replacement. Will say a prayer that you are up and around quickly.

mrspunkysmom
09-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh definitely. the least the doctors have to do the better! Heal soon!

chocolatepuppy
09-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Good to hear it won't be as bad as it could have been! Hope all goes well!:)

krazyaboutkatz
09-07-2012, 01:17 AM
I'm glad to hear that you won't need a knee replacement. I hope that your surgery will go smoothly.:)

phesina
09-07-2012, 05:50 AM
That's great! Excellent news.

Pinot's Mom
09-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Prayers for a smooth surgery! Glad it's minor! :love:

Asiel
09-07-2012, 02:31 PM
A little late but I'm happy to hear the news -- so glad you won't need the surgery. I had the same thing done to my left knee years ago after a skiing accident and haven't had a problem since--

Laura's Babies
09-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Sometimes this modern medicine isn't half bad! I love that going home the same day stuff! Good luck and heal fast... NO jumping Jacks, ok?

pomtzu
09-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Well - I'm "supposed" to be having my knee surgery this Wednesday the 19th - "supposed" being the key word here. This past week I had my pre-op testing - blood work, chest x-ray, and EKG. Well it seems that my EKG is not at all normal and the cardiologist ordered further testing before he will release me for anesthesia, and there is the possibility that I've had a silent heart attack. With my family history of stroke, high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease and heart attack, then he's putting me thru the wringer, even tho I have never had any of those family issues. The two most critical tests are the echocardiogram which I had on Wednesday, and the stress test that I will have this Tuesday. Nothing like the last minute and down to the wire timing. So I won't know until after I have that at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, if I'll be having surgery on Wednesday. :rolleyes: Good thing that the stress test doesn't measure emotional stress - with what I'm going thru with Sparky right now - I'd be off the charts!!! :eek: Then after the stress test, I have to go over to the surgery center and meet with the anesthesiologist. With my previous neck injury I guess he needs to see how much he can manipulate my head and neck to get a breathing tube in, without me ending up with a broken neck again! Even if I get a release from the cardiologist, I still have to go thru a couple more tests in a few weeks - an abdominal ultrasound, and a carotid artery ultrasound. When it rains - it pours!

Wish me luck - I'm in serious need of a lot of it!

Queen of Poop
09-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Hoping all their testing finds you in good health and able to have your surgery as planned. :love::love::love:

chocolatepuppy
09-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Oh no, what a mess! I'm wishing you luck and prayers Ellie. Hopefully all this is for nothing and you are fine!:)

mrspunkysmom
09-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Luck and prayers headed your way. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
09-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Wow!!! I sure hope that your stress test goes well. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.:love:

Freedom
09-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Well darn, if you had a silent heart attack that is not good news, but I guess finding out IS. Best wishes with all the tests. :love:

Grace
09-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Fingers and toes crossed for good luck - prayers headed East for you, Ellie.

You're a tough gal - I have great faith that all will turn out fine :love:

Asiel
09-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Praying all your tests will come back showing everything in order. I know a silent heart attack isn't good, I remember a friend explaining that to me ;).

You're right, you didn't need all this extra stress while you're going through such a hard time with Sparky-

I hope all will go well , prayers going up for the both of you.I know both of you will come through this bad patch , you're both fighters and too stubborn to let this get to you :D

phesina
09-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Prayers and good wishes and healing energies for you, Ellie. God bless.

caseysmom
09-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Its good your getting a thorough check out, you are really thin so that is good.

pomtzu
09-18-2012, 05:06 PM
No surgery tomorrow. Postponed indefinitely until cardiac issues are resolved.

Passed stress test.
Flunked echocardiogram - further testing needed. Will be having a cardiac catheterization as soon as they can get me scheduled.

I sure never saw this coming.

Stop this ***explative*** world and let me off.

To be continued.................

mrspunkysmom
09-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Sorry to hear this Ellie. Let's hope it's a false alarm. :love: HUGZ

Freedom
09-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Now I didn't know it was possible to pass the stress test but not the EKG. The other way around, yep I knew that.

Step at a time, Ellie, prayers from RI. We got Sparky's issues calmed down, next is to work on your issues. :love:

pomtzu
09-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Now I didn't know it was possible to pass the stress test but not the EKG. The other way around, yep I knew that.

Step at a time, Ellie, prayers from RI. We got Sparky's issues calmed down, next is to work on your issues. :love:

Not an EKG Sandie - an echocardiogram. It amounts to an ultrasound of the heart where they view how it pumps, on a t.v. screen.

Karen
09-18-2012, 05:52 PM
But maybe it's a good thing, and they can check out your ticker and make sure it'll keep going for a long time to come! We'd rather that than have you have a bad reaction to the anesthesia and expire on the operating table! You'll continue to be in our prayers.

lizbud
09-18-2012, 06:14 PM
But maybe it's a good thing, and they can check out your ticker and make sure it'll keep going for a long time to come! We'd rather that than have you have a bad reaction to the anesthesia and expire on the operating table! You'll continue to be in our prayers.

Karen is right. Better to find anything that might go wrong sooner, better than later. It is good to have everything checked out while
you are there so you can relax & breath easier when you come back home. Prayers continue that all goes smoothly for you. (((Hugs))):)

Catty1
09-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Sending prayers and good thoughts. I hope the echocardiogram is scheduled and over with soon so you can get the surgery done.

HUGS!

kaycountrygal
09-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Ellie, Hang in there! I'm sure you're disappointed that surgery had to be postponed... but tis better to check you out BEFORE the knee surgery. When I had an echo done two years ago, there was an area that couldnt be seen clearly (something was questionable) so a cath was recommeneded. I had cath done and was relieved when nothing wrong was found. It relieved my poor liddle mind. Hope there's nothing wrong with you. Hope you and the furbabies are doing good. ((Hugs)) Kay

krazyaboutkatz
09-19-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm sorry to hear this but hopefully everything will turn out fine. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

Queen of Poop
09-19-2012, 11:22 AM
So sorry about the delay on the knee. Hopefully they will determine your heart is just fine and then you can proceed. Saying a prayer for you. :love::love::love:

Pinot's Mom
09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Prayers from here! I sincerely hope this is cleared up soon, Ellie. :love: