PDA

View Full Version : VIPRE Security...

redbird
09-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Does anyone have this as your antivirus-security on your computer. I want to get one when my Norton account runs out. You only have to buy this Vipre one time and you never have to pay each year as with most. It cost $90.00 on HSN yesterday and the only reason I didn't buy it is because I have a lot of time left with my Norton subscription and don't want to waste that money.

Just wondered if anyone has it already, it seems like a good deal. Of course in stores the cost would be higher than HSN, seriously thinking about getting it tho.

Freedom
09-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Here is the review for it from PC Magazine. From this, I would definitely NOT risk my computer with this.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395816,00.asp

Lady's Human
09-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Use Avast. It's free, and I haven't had any issues with it.

Snowdrops
09-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Avast is a good free one so it AVG free.

Both my husband (who is a computer nerd) and I use it.

We both work from our computers.. so they are essensials... . I have had AVG since 2005... my computer is on up to 18 hrs a day... and so is my husbands.

I was advised to use AVG Free by a serious computer nerd in the UK before I came to live in America and several since have agreed!

I actively have removed any other security ware from my computers and used it ever since.

Even if you INSIST on paying out for securityware I would still buy the AVG.... but the free version has always been fine for us.

And no.. I dont work for them !! :)

redbird
09-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Here is the review for it from PC Magazine. From this, I would definitely NOT risk my computer with this.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395816,00.asp

I didn't like that review either. The one I saw on HSN was the 2013 version, don't know if that's any better. Maybe I should stay with Norton but it's so expensive every year and I have never had a problem with it. I will have to think about this, thanks for the info.

redbird
09-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks ladies, I wrote down the names AVG and AVAST and will check them out eventually. I believe in that old adage that you get what you pay for so I'm not rushing into anything.

Laura's Babies
09-03-2012, 04:53 PM
My daughter has Nortons on their computer. They got a virus on theior computer and called Norton for help in removing it and they wanted to charge them over $100 to help them get rid of it.. My son in law got it then... You have to BUY Nortons, it LETS viruses on your computer so they can then CHARGE you to get rid of it. He couldn't believe it!

Snowdrops
09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Nortons and McAfee also turn your computer to quick set cement.

You also have to jump through hoops to get Nortons OFF your computer.

Honestly... AVG Free is good enough for the techies... its been good enough for me for several years.

smokey the elder
09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Avast and Malwarebytes are good to use together; it provides double-layer protection and doesn't bog down your machine too much.

redbird
09-04-2012, 11:34 AM
My daughter has Nortons on their computer. They got a virus on theior computer and called Norton for help in removing it and they wanted to charge them over $100 to help them get rid of it.. My son in law got it then... You have to BUY Nortons, it LETS viruses on your computer so they can then CHARGE you to get rid of it. He couldn't believe it!

I don't believe this for a minute, Norton wouldn't be in business if they actually put a virus on your computer just so they can charge you to get rid of it. I have had Norton on my computer since I bought this Dell in 2006 and they have always been helpful to me when needed and when I did have a problem, they added more time to my subscription free of charge. It's very hard to believe any security/anti-virus company would do something like this and not be caught at it.

pomtzu
09-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Norton stinks and I always had issues with them. So much crap showed up on my computer when I had them, that it was unbelievable. Went with AVG and haven't had a problem since - and AVG is free.

redbird
09-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Norton stinks and I always had issues with them. So much crap showed up on my computer when I had them, that it was unbelievable. Went with AVG and haven't had a problem since - and AVG is free.

Wow I'm shocked to hear this, Norton has always been good and fair to me. I guess I'm doing something right.
Never had a virus and any risks were taken care of without me even knowing. I still have over 280 days left on my subscription and will keep it till then, I will decide what to do after that.

Lady's Human
09-04-2012, 12:07 PM
To expand on my comments above:

Norton stinks. They at one point were an excellent company, had a ton of useful tools to use with a computer, and their AV software was decent.

Now, however, their software is almost impossible to completely remove once installed, buggy, slow, and puts crapware in your system. I wouldn't use norton anything, as most norton products also include constant advertisement for other norton products.

I was using AVG with no issues until they got popup-happy with their reminder that you're using the freeware version and you should really buy the paid version. Avast is getting there, but they're nowhere near as bad, hence my choice of Avast over AVG.

redbird
09-04-2012, 12:14 PM
To expand on my comments above:

Norton stinks. They at one point were an excellent company, had a ton of useful tools to use with a computer, and their AV software was decent.

Now, however, their software is almost impossible to completely remove once installed, buggy, slow, and puts crapware in your system. I wouldn't use norton anything, as most norton products also include constant advertisement for other norton products.

I was using AVG with no issues until they got popup-happy with their reminder that you're using the freeware version and you should really buy the paid version. Avast is getting there, but they're nowhere near as bad, hence my choice of Avast over AVG.

I have not had any of the above issues in over 6 years. So far Norton has been great for me, it's unfortunate that many have had issues with them but I have not so am not complaining.

pomtzu
09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Wow I'm shocked to hear this, Norton has always been good and fair to me. I guess I'm doing something right.
Never had a virus and any risks were taken care of without me even knowing. I still have over 280 days left on my subscription and will keep it till then, I will decide what to do after that.

Just wait until you decide to unsubscribe - then you'll see how much junk Norton gave you - without you ever knowing about it too. And good luck trying to get rid of it.........

Snowdrops
09-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Never had a pop up with AVG Free in the 7 plus years I have used it. Only ever have had the "upgrade to new version free" pop-up and that once a year approximately

Malwarebytes I also use and it is Free and excellent too. Also recommended years ago by several techs who know what they are doing.

Already mentioned the stuff Norton insinuates into your system that takes forEVER to get off.

redbird
09-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Just wait until you decide to unsubscribe - then you'll see how much junk Norton gave you - without you ever knowing about it too. And good luck trying to get rid of it.........

OK, now you're scaring me. What should I expect when I do unsubscribe, forewarned is forearmed. Thanks for the info and warning.

Lady's Human
09-04-2012, 03:00 PM
OK, now you're scaring me. What should I expect when I do unsubscribe, forewarned is forearmed. Thanks for the info and warning.

There are tech forums that will give you instructions on how to remove all the little bits and pieces left behind by the uninstaller. Suggested procedure would be to remove using the uninstaller, remove the bits and pieces as directed, then install whatever product you're going to use going forward. The bits and pieces Norton leaves behind can cause issues for the new software.

redbird
09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
There are tech forums that will give you instructions on how to remove all the little bits and pieces left behind by the uninstaller. Suggested procedure would be to remove using the uninstaller, remove the bits and pieces as directed, then install whatever product you're going to use going forward. The bits and pieces Norton leaves behind can cause issues for the new software.

Thank you, I will google the tech forums when my subscription is finalized.