PDA

View Full Version : Where do your dogs sleep?

slleipnir
11-20-2002, 06:28 PM
Do they sleep with you or somewhere else? Josie has always sleept on my bed, and if shes downstairs for a bit when I go to bed, I can't seem to sleep without feeling her cuddled next to me! I think it started when she was a pup, and she used to have to sleep in the kitchen, and she'd escape, and sneak up stairs and climb into the bed, of course I didn't mind though ;D Zeke seems to think a single bed with a person and another dog is too crouded I guess lol! I have another bed on the other side of my room which Zeke sleeps on, talk about spoiled, he gets a bed to himself!

Fuzzy317
11-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Eli generally sleeps at the foot of our(my fiancee and me) bed, Sassee sleeps on a dog bed at my side of the bed, and Ginger is still in crate-training mode, so she sleeps in her crate. And you didn't ask, but 1 or 2 of our cats usually sleep on our bed with us. :D

Andie
11-20-2002, 06:50 PM
Usually both Katie and Bull sleep with me. Sometimes both at the foot so I have to sleep across my bed. Most of the time though Katie leaves in the middle of the night to sleep with Mom and Dad. Sometimes she doesn't sleep with me at all but on the couch. Guess she thinks the bed is too crowded.

Aspen and Misty
11-20-2002, 07:02 PM
Teddy sleeps at the foot of my moms bed and Chewy sleeps somewhere in my room, he used to sleep on my bed but he's not aloud any more ::sniff sniff:: I miss him up ther

tatsxxx11
11-20-2002, 07:24 PM
On the "big bed!!":D

delidog
11-20-2002, 07:32 PM
Perhaps I've been "mistaken" all of these years that Dogs have owned me??????
Are Dogs and Cats supposed to sleep Anywhere but on Your Big Bed?!?!?!?!?!?

Silly Human!!!!:confused: ;)

Pam
11-20-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
On the "big bed!!":D

Ditto! ;)

aly
11-20-2002, 09:44 PM
Reece sleeps under the covers against my legs.

Lolly sleeps next to me with her head on the pillow next to mine.

Shiloh sleeps either on my chest, curled up on top of the covers where Reece is under them, at the foot of the bed, or her bed in my room.

delidog
11-20-2002, 09:54 PM
Gee I hope that ALY And PAM do Not go to the Dog Rescue Forum and see the photo of Dear sweet LOUIE!!!!!!;) :)

Cincy'sMom
11-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Sadie sleeps in bed between us, under the covers, with her head on my legs. Cincy sleeps in the floor in her own bed (she prefers it...we try to put her in our bed and she jumps off)

They keep waking me up at 4 am for food and they are both sleeping in their crates :p

mugsy
11-20-2002, 09:56 PM
Wherever they can find room!!

Cincy'sMom
11-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Wherever they can find room!!

LOL!! That could be a real sight :) One big pile of dogs...or maybe heaven on earth!

Crikit
11-20-2002, 10:03 PM
Yup they both sleep on the bed with me. I have to make sure that I get in to bed first and stake out my place though otherwise it's a fight for room...thank goodness for the wait command...usually it's Smudge down by my legs 9 times out of 10 pressed right against them or using them for a pillow. And Winter curled up near my head, sometimes they switch at which point Smudge is using the second pillow (as seen in my sig) and Winter's splayed all over or curled up in a ball at my feet. And then there's the time Winter is using Smudge for a pillow.

aly
11-20-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by delidog
Gee I hope that ALY And PAM do Not go to the Dog Rescue Forum and see the photo of Dear sweet LOUIE!!!!!!;) :)

Uhhh Ohhh, dare I go see ??

wolf_Q
11-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Unfortunately, dogs are not allowed on the "big bed" or any sort of furnature for that matter at my house...parents rules. Smokey and Reggie normally sleep in crates, although whenever my parents aren't home Reggie sleeps on my bed (shh!). Nebo sleeps in a big crate that's in my closet. When I feel I can trust him not to destroy things (that will be a while) I'll let him sleep on a dog bed in my room at night.

Pam
11-21-2002, 06:29 AM

Oh! Oh! Oh! Thanks for the tip Delidog. I just visited the thread about Louie and posted over there!!! I am just in love with this little one! He is the spitting image of my Pumpkin (RB) who I was able to share my life with for 17 years. This little guy would be a good fit in anybody's Big Bed. If he was closer he would be sleeping in mine for sure, right next to his Big Sis Bella!! :)

delidog
11-21-2002, 06:31 AM
I knew what would happen if you and Aly saw him.....
He is soooooooooo PRECIOUS!!!!!!
and i have big spottys!!!! but i love all w/ 4 legs,head and tail!!!!
He deserves a Poodleicious Home!!!!!!!! Don't you think????;) :D

Pam
11-21-2002, 06:34 AM
I knew what would happen if you and Aly saw him.....
He is soooooooooo PRECIOUS!!!!!!
and i have big spottys!!!! but i love all w/ 4 legs,head and tail!!!!
He deserves a Poodleicious Home!!!!!!!! Don't you think????;) :D

For sure!! I hope this thread is updated. I would love to keep track of this little one!

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-21-2002, 06:52 AM
Draker sleeps in the big bed too!! When Andrew is in town, he sleeps in between us and moves to the foot of the bed eventually. When it's just Draker and I, He sleeps right next to me with his head on his pillow. I too have to get to the bed first, coz if he beats me to it, there is no way I can make him budge!

K9karen
11-21-2002, 07:23 AM
Since I have a single "big"bed, it's MINE..so Cody sleeps anywhere he wants..tho usually by my bed(my guardian angel)

Logan
11-21-2002, 07:46 AM
I knew that most of you would be answering with "the big bed, of course" and I was a bit embarrassed to tell you that my dogs never sleep with me. They used to sleep with Helen sometime at our other house, but only Lilly has spent one night upstairs, in Helen's room, since we moved. For the last two weeks, they have slept on their beds, on the floor, beside my bed (Murphy and Lilly, that is). Honey just started coming into my bedroom last weekend.

BUT.......last night was an exception. Lilly "asked" to get into my bed. She can't jump, so I helped her in and made sure she got on the other side, so there would be room for me. Then, as I was doing that, Miss Honey decided she wanted to sleep in the big bed too!! Mom ended up sleeping crossways tangled up with two big Golden Retrievers. And sweet Murphy slept on the floor. This morning, Helen came in my room and we were still all lounging on the bed! They stayed their all night. And Helen's only comment was, "Where is Scott going to fit, Mom?". LOL!!!! I don't know!! Better not encourage the dogs in the bed anymore, huh? :)

robinh
11-21-2002, 08:23 AM
Our four sleep anywhere on the bed they can find room. I can't imagine they would sleep anywhere else. Max has to sleep under the covers and touch someone for safety and warmth. The other three want to be up there, but don't touch them. They don't like to be disturbed.

It really is very creative how they manage to stake out a spot without touching another dog, yet draping over, nudging, and/or pushing the humans right to the edge of the bed.

In the winter when it's cold - we refer to it as a four dog night. Who needs electric blankets and comforters when you have that much body heat together?

manda99
11-21-2002, 08:55 AM
Smokey sleeps in bed with me. I was gonna try to get him to sleep on the floor but after a few nights I missed him. I must be crazy, I actually had room! :D And I must have confused the heck out of him. Bad mommy.
Anyway -

But Yeah, in my bed with me. Usually cuddled up next to me w/ his head on my chest or legs. If it's too warm, he'll sleep on "his side" of the bed. If it's cold, he's under the covers as close to me as he can possibly get.

Tanya&Fritz
11-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Funny you should ask this question...

My husband and I almost got divorced over this issue :D The dogs have always slept in our bed but since we've had the third dog, my husband doesn't want them in the bed anymore. So now, they each have a dog bed on the floor next to our bed. I miss them so much! Especially Fritz, that was our special cuddle time :mad:

Logan
11-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Tanya&Fritz
Funny you should ask this question...

My husband and I almost got divorced over this issue :D The dogs have always slept in our bed but since we've had the third dog, my husband doesn't want them in the bed anymore. So now, they each have a dog bed on the floor next to our bed. I miss them so much! Especially Fritz, that was our special cuddle time :mad:

I'm not even married yet, Tanya, so I'd better get on the straight and narrow, right away!!! Actually, as sweet as they are, I absolutely hate having my dogs in bed with me. It isn't that they do anything wrong, they are just too big!!! And when I get the husband added to the mix, plus one of two cats (whichever gets there first), I don't think there will be room!! I have 4 weeks to figure this one out!!!! Might need to get that bed raised up high again, like it used to be, and FAST!!! Then the dogs won't even attempt to get in there with me. :p

lovemyshiba
11-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Kito has ALWAYS slept in our bed with us, at the foot usually, because he's so "independent":cool: but usually in the early morning hours, he creeps up by the pillows and sleeps right next to either my husband or I--it's so cute.
Then we got Abby--she is so big, we HAVE to get in before her, because her favorite spot is on the pillows--but she has a doggie bed on the floor too, which she goes to and falls asleep, but usually sometime during the night, she creeps up too

ramanth
11-21-2002, 11:14 AM
Kia sleeps just about everywhere ranging from, the couch, her crate, the floor, her dog bed, and on my feet at the end of the bed.

But as soon as I get up to shower, she moves to the spot I warmed up JUST FOR HER. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Dakota's Mommy
11-21-2002, 12:59 PM
When we first got Dakota, she slept in our bed with us. It was so cute to me because I often woke up to her wrapped over my head or right up against my face with hers. However, after about a month or two, we made it a rule that they were not aloud to sleep on the bed any more because, w/ Dakota being a dane, we knew she would get to big to have all three of us on the bed and we'd be the two that ended up getting kicked off. So, now the girls have their own big beds in the living room, a blanket on the floor in our room, and they usually still end up sleeping on our furniture in the living room. However, when Dad is on duty or in the field, I always seem to wake up to the two of them on our bed cuddled up to some part of me. Usually they seem to fight over who gets closest to my head, but I think it's whoever gets there for. Then, the other one settles to use my legs as pillows. It really doesn't bother me to have them steal spots in bed with me when dad isn't home as long as they know it's only when dad's not home. Actually, I really enjoy getting to spend that time cuddling with them!

ParNone
11-21-2002, 01:48 PM
Maddie sleeps on my bed on a pillow next to my head. If she's
sleeping on her back she has a tendency to kick me in the head
with her back feet trying to get more space. I won't move so
eventually she'll either move or just rest her back footies on my shoulder.

Murph either sleeps at the foot of the bed, or on the floor by the
door, or his all time favorite place to sleep is on one of my shirts,
if it didn't quite make it's way to the dirty clothes hamper and got
tossed on the floor. And if Oz is on the bed, sometimes Murph'll
go sleep in Oz's crate. The pineapple kitty bed is in there, that
none of the dogs can fit in, but Murph likes to rest his head on
that.

Oz mostly still sleeps in his crate, but he's slept on the bed
from time to time. He just takes up quite a bit of space and he
likes to rest his head on my leg. I like to move around, when I'm
in bed, so this doesn't work out too well. I'm going to get him a
bed of his own for x-mas, so he can sleep on his own bed, on the
floor next to me.

Par...

ownerof3dogs
11-21-2002, 04:37 PM
Hercules sleeps on my bed
Zeus sleeps under my bed
Felice sleeps on the floor in my room or in the livingroom.

Cinder & Smoke
11-21-2002, 06:31 PM
We're a Wun BigBed Fambly :D!

Before SmokeMutt got dopted into the Klan, Dad, me, an Boots da Kat shared da BigBed wiff a lil room left ober. Furst nite Smokey moved up frumma basement, he wus eyin da bed aftur we 3 got in...
**FLUMMP** an he'z onna pile, too!

:eek: Sed da Kat! Since then da Kat duzint spend much tyme onna pile - he'd rather sprawl onna bookcase headboard an dangle hiz Tail in Dad's facebonez! :rolleyes:

*Loadin* da BigBed is down to a science. Whilst Dad is powderin hiz noze inna baffroom, Smoke an me pre-warm da bed - take turnz who getz da pillow. Dad showz up an we get off an he getz bout 10 sekunds ta get *in* an claim his half an fluff da blankie. I jump up an get settled on hiz feetz.

Smoke is suppozed ta *wait* till Dad openz da udder side of da blankie - hiz spot. Dad sez "OK" an Smoke goez AirBorne - giant *leap* over Dad; tuckz hiz feets up; an iz suppozed ta land on his spot next to Dad...

"Uggggg!" frum :mad: Dad meanz he jumped a lil short an landed ON Dad. :rolleyes:
"YeLLLp!" from Smoke meanz he jumped a lil Looonnng, bounced offa edge, an hit da wall :eek:.
THAT requires a dash round da bed anna repeat jump.

Aftur Smoke "hitz da spot", he spoonz up next ta Dad, tuckz hiz lil hedbone unner Dad's chin, an getz covered wiffa blankie. Dad luvz it! Smokey's crew-kut fur letz him *radiate* heet like a lil furnace - Dad offin flipz ober ta warm hiz backside against da lil furry *radiator*. :D

COCatMama
11-21-2002, 07:38 PM
My first dog ALWAYS slept on my bed, we got him when i was 10 years old and he was a pup. It didn't matter how small my bed was either :D Blackie was a mutt and was maybe 25 lbs so he fit nicely.

Juneau, on the other hand, Somebody must have taught him to stay off the furniture because he doesn't like to sleep on my bed, altho since the EX is sleeping upstairs now, I am teaching juneau to sleep on my bed MUAHAH
also last night i encouraged the dog to get up on the EXes LEATHER COUCH

MUAHAHHA!!!
:D

Rachel
11-22-2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
We're a Wun BigBed Fambly :D!

Aftur Smoke "hitz da spot", he spoonz up next ta Dad, tuckz hiz lil hedbone unner Dad's chin, an getz covered wiffa blankie. Dad luvz it! Smokey's crew-kut fur letz him *radiate* heet like a lil furnace - Dad offin flipz ober ta warm hiz backside against da lil furry *radiator*. :D

This is exactly the routine for Tucker and me. If he gets too hot in the middle of the night, he will pop out to a dog bed situated right aside of the bed, but most of the time by morning he is back inside the covers again. I think I must lift the covers in my sleep. Hannah is on top of the covers, somewhere slapped up against her Dad. It can be nearly impossible to rearrange the blankets with her 30 pounds weighing them down.

Andie
11-22-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
It can be nearly impossible to rearrange the blankets with her 30 pounds weighing them down.

I keep extra blankets beside the bed just in case of such a thing.

Cataholic
11-23-2002, 10:05 PM
WOW- aren't cats GRAND! And small, and easy to move..he he he..:D

Andie
11-24-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
WOW- aren't cats GRAND! And small, and easy to move..he he he..:D

Not my cats. Fluffy sleeps on your head and if you try to move her you get the back claws in the top of your head.

Cataholic
11-24-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Andie

Not my cats. Fluffy sleeps on your head and if you try to move her you get the back claws in the top of your head.

Ooops...how not nice of Fluffy!

minpinmom
11-24-2002, 10:02 PM
All 5 of our Min Pins sleep[ on the bed with us. We even bought a king size bed so we have more room.:D

joycenalex
11-25-2002, 06:16 AM
i am considering getting a queen or bigger bed, it's a mite crowded. alex the wonder dog will try to stake out a spot close to the pillow so he can lick my fingers a bit, sometimes he will doze off with his head on my hand. duke likes to roll on the blanket then stand up to paw the blankets just so for him before he lays down to sleep on his side. he will sometimes bring his favorite woobie with him. the meows, being heat seeking missles,:D have found that fitting in between me and the dogs is the ideal spot. when i have a 'power surge':rolleyes: all critters off the bed! then everyone finds a place on one of the several beds or old comforters on the floor. duke favors a blanket in front of the door and alex often lays on the bed in the corner. the cats, wait a bit, then sneak back on. :) (when i've dozed off watching tv in the recliner, alex and the cats have laid on my lap and chest, duke can't make the leap)

Andie
11-25-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic

Ooops...how not nice of Fluffy!

Isn't it nice of her though :rolleyes: I gladly gave her to my lil bro to sleep with after we got Katie.

Cincy'sMom
11-25-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Rachel

It can be nearly impossible to rearrange the blankets with her 30 pounds weighing them down.

LOL! We go through that with Sadie, but she weighs 60 lbs!!!

Cinder and Smoke- Sounds like you got your dad trained just right!

Mike-Love the mental image of all the dogs in, on and around the bed! What a party!

The Cat Factory
11-26-2002, 01:01 AM
Buddy usually sleeps somewhere downstairs... :) Or in the kitchen ;)

DogMania
12-13-2002, 06:20 PM
Misty usually sleeps with me because she jumps up in the middle of the night...sometimes she will drag a blanket off and put it in her bed..but when shes really tired she sleeps in her bed all night..but when i wake up at 6:00 she is up lickity split!

Lando
12-13-2002, 06:45 PM
We bought mIsty a comfy dog house for her, but she never slept in it. She always took the cats' boxes and baskets. So finally I had to put them up high where Misty couldn't reach and now Misty sleeps in her dog house.

babolaypo65
12-14-2002, 11:33 AM
we have a strange situation. the dog sleeps with me. always. and the cat sleeps on the dog bed next to the bed.

Juanita
12-14-2002, 11:46 AM
Marino the French Bulldog sleeps not only on the bed,but in it. He is very adept at lifting back the cover with a paw. And as I live in Scotland which is decidedly chilly he makes a lovely hot water bottle.

Elmer the Brussels Griffon, or Griffon Bruxellois, as we call him, sleeps in his crate at one side of the bed, and Arturo, the Chihuahua pup , on the other, both wrapped up very snugly.

I am a widow, but when my husband was alive, and we were first married, he said, 'no dogs on the bed', but guess where the dogs slept? Yes, you're right.:rolleyes:

Twisterdog
12-16-2002, 04:40 PM
Ok ... let's see .....

Pepper sleeps under the covers, wrapped around my feet. If I turn over, she waits untils I am still, and repositions herself around my feet again. Wonderful! I never have cold feet!

Vanilla and Georgie sleep under the covers, curled up beside me, as close as they can possibly get. If I would let them sleep on my head, they would be happier.

Lucky and Wishbone sleep on top of the covers, curled up against my back or legs. Lucky prefers to sleep with my son, on the top bunk. He carries her up there at night and carries her back down in the morning. Goofy dog. But most of the times he doesn't want to sleep with a dog, so she has to sleep with me.

Keito, Queenie, Lacie, Jack, Thunder and Basil sleep on the floor, on their dog beds. They are "touch-me-not" dogs who like their personal space when they sleep.

I am never cold at night, that's for sure!

LoudLou
12-16-2002, 06:33 PM
Louie sleeps with us.... My husband started that when he was a puppy.... It started with, "Honey, it's OK if he sleeps with us tonight isn't it." To which I told him, "If he comes to bed with us now be prepared to share the bed for the rest of his life." My husband has been known to go sleep on the couch so as not to disturb Louie or the Beans.:rolleyes: :D

And yes, Louie does sleep this way most of the night!

Cincy'sMom
12-16-2002, 06:42 PM
I have to change my earlier answer...Up until about 2 weeks ago, Cincy always slept on the floor. I don't know if she read here that somany other dogs were sleeping in the big bed or what, but now she sleeps with us, between Ralph and I with her head on one of our pillows.

Cookiebaker
12-16-2002, 07:21 PM
Malone sleeps in his crate right next to our bed. HOWEVER, we just ordered our new bedroom set, which includes a queen sized bed!! So my dear hubby, bless his heart, said that if Malone can be good, then he can sleep with us! YES!! ;) :D

primabella
12-19-2002, 02:16 PM
yaay! i can finally post under this thread ;):p

mickey sleeps in his cage thats in the hallway on the main floor. it's on the side of the stairs and it makes a kinda circle, so he's got that whole area as his spot :D

RubyMutt
12-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Ruby has to sleep with one of her family members. She usually sleeps with whoever goes to bed first. Unless I get home late she waits up to make sure I get home safe then she sleeps with me. She always sleeps with either my parents or myself :)

Cisco's Mom
12-20-2002, 09:54 AM
Cisco would def. be found in the bed with my hubby and myself!!

micki76
12-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Chester sleeps in the bed always on my left side. There are varying positions (some take over the bed), but he's always on the left side. Under the covers. Love it this time of year, but in the summer we use no covers and he still makes me too hot. I literally can't sleep without him. :)

primabella
12-20-2002, 02:03 PM
psstt...welcome to pet talk micki! your name is like my pup's name ;)

that_figures5
12-21-2002, 09:37 AM
Riley either sleeps at the foot of my bed, on the left side of me, or under the bed. He won't go to sleep without someone in the room either.:rolleyes: