PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional Thursday #496

RICHARD
08-30-2012, 12:50 PM
With the reps and dems having their hen-fests how's about a grilled cheese Thursday..

With Hurricanes as the DOTD.

-------------------

And prayers to all the people in the south east who have to deal with Isaac...

DONE!

Karen
08-30-2012, 12:52 PM
I have found myself completely not interested in the convention coverage this go-round. Is that bad? Can I have my grilled cheese with bacon in it? Seems appropriate ...

pomtzu
08-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Since I'm dismayed at my choice of the next pres, then I am ignoring convention coverage. I find it more exciting to sit on my front porch and watch the soybeans grow in the field across the street. :rolleyes:

How about an open face grilled tomato and cheese sandwich, washed down with a Pepsi? Maybe my appetite for "real" food will improve with the cooler weather.

Happy almost Labor Day weekend, everyone.

Pinot's Mom
08-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Can I have my grilled cheese (gruyere) with LOBSTAH? Swear, it was on the menu where I went to dinner last night.. ;)
I will have a DOTD whilst I wait though, thanks! Happy almost Labor Day - our big to-do is on Sunday! Cocktails, Crocquet and Music at the Coopers! :)

RICHARD
08-30-2012, 08:28 PM
I have found myself completely not interested in the convention coverage this go-round. Is that bad? Can I have my grilled cheese with bacon in it? Seems appropriate ...

Too much nastiness and bile being broadcast....

GC with apple smoked bacon!

Tea?

DONE!

Pom,
Open faced Grilled mater and cheese, one ice cold Pepsi and nice chair!

DONE!

Pinot.

One Gruyere and lobstah, and a hurricane!

DONE!

Lady's Human
08-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Time to campaign for the Meadow Party!

Don't blame me, I voted for Bill and Opus!

How about some Corona to wash down the chili and cornbread?

RICHARD
08-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Time to campaign for the Meadow Party!

Don't blame me, I voted for Bill and Opus!

How about some Corona to wash down the chili and cornbread?

I'll trade you three Coronas for a cornbread.....

let's open up the patio and dicuss this over chili....

DONE!

smokey the elder
08-31-2012, 10:37 AM
I'll take a grilled cheese with bacon and tomato (YUM!) and a hurricane, please. (The drink...Isaac can just vamoose somewhere not here.)

RICHARD
08-31-2012, 04:36 PM
I'll take a grilled cheese with bacon and tomato (YUM!) and a hurricane, please. (The drink...Isaac can just vamoose somewhere not here.)

I can give you a grilled cheese and a hurricane, but can't promise anything that has to do with the weather?

DONE?:)

Queen of Poop
09-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Hi everyone! (waves)

I'm taking it easy recovering from surgery. Just going to sit over here by the fire (it's only 9oC here this am). I've put on a pot of tea if any one is interested. We'll be celebrating Cali and Diego's birthday later today.

Hope everyone involved with that nasty weather is doing ok.

Lady's Human
09-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Anyone want to come hep?

Karen
09-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Gayle is not allowed to - she's recuperating - maybe we should send Lady over so she can get some puppy snuggles - and that'll keep her out of the way! I'll do peeling and slicing of things ...

DJFyrewolf36
09-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Up entirely too late trying to pack and organize...how can a studio apartment have so much cr@p?!?!?!?!

I need a flame thrower and a backhoe...:rolleyes:

A grilled cheese, tomato and bacon sandwich would be lovely right now too!

RICHARD
09-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Hi everyone! (waves)

I'm taking it easy recovering from surgery. Just going to sit over here by the fire (it's only 9oC here this am). I've put on a pot of tea if any one is interested. We'll be celebrating Cali and Diego's birthday later today.

Hope everyone involved with that nasty weather is doing ok.

Sit back and I'll take care of your order.......

Can I make Cali and Diego a late 'fish cake' for a b-day celebration.

Done.

LH,

Let me wash my hands, I remember my G-ma canning stuff.

I always want to learn more about cooking.

DJ.

I can get you a book of matches and some charcoal fluid?

Grilled cheese, tomato and bacon?

DONE!

Karen
09-03-2012, 05:30 PM
How's the canning going, Lady's Humans? Richard, you could make a trip North a few states and get hand's on lessons I am betting!

Most common newbie mistake in canning - filling the vessel too full, so there's no way for a vacuum to form for the seal!
Between my grandfather's gardens and ours we did a lot of canning this time of year! Currant jelly was one of my favorites - Grandpa Smith had currant bushes and we made some every year, clear and the color of dark garnets by the jarful. Sooooooooo much better than grape jelly for a peanut butter sandwich, too.

Lady's Human
09-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Canning is paused for the moment, needed a break.

Pickled green tomatoes is a great recipe for clearing your sinuses first thing in the morning.

Pickled beets, Okra, cukes, cauliflower, Stewed tomatoes, and canned peaches.

Jam was done a week ago or so.

More tomatoes on tap for later in the week. Chard steamed, packed and frozen, but more to go. Beans, okra, broccoli and squash frozen as well. Guess who won't be using the grocery store for veg much this winter? Still have spaghetti squash, acorn squash, butternut, beets, carrots and tomatoes going in the garden.

Only problem is that the slave labor force goes back to school thursday. On that note, I think I'm due for a glass of wine.

pomtzu
09-03-2012, 05:47 PM
I haven't done very much canning since my kids were still home. About all I do now is Jalapeno pepper jelly in small quantities, but way back when, I did more. I always did a lot of strawberry preserves when the berries were in season, and then in late summer it was peach preserves. I did grape jam one year, but that was a real pain. Nothing like homemade preserves tho.

It just so happens I have a couple of jars of the Jalapeno jelly in the pantry. Anyone care to join me for some on crackers?

RICHARD
09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
How's the canning going, Lady's Humans? Richard, you could make a trip North a few states and get hand's on lessons I am betting!

Most common newbie mistake in canning - filling the vessel too full, so there's no way for a vacuum to form for the seal!
Between my grandfather's gardens and ours we did a lot of canning this time of year! Currant jelly was one of my favorites - Grandpa Smith had currant bushes and we made some every year, clear and the color of dark garnets by the jarful. Sooooooooo much better than grape jelly for a peanut butter sandwich, too.

Oh,
My experience was so long ago it involved paraffin wax!

A few minutes of standing/watching and I probably could jump right in?

-------------------

LH,

I was slave labor once!

Wow, sounds like a good time, make it fun for the kids - they will remember it forever.

A glass of wine?

DONE!

----------------------

Pom.

Whacha drinking?

I'll pour.....shall we all repair to the veranda for a sunset?

DONE!
-------------

pomtzu
09-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Okay - I'm dating myself now, but when I first started canning, it was with paraffin wax too.

I'll join the crew on the veranda - no watching the sunset here today. It was an afternoon of torrential rain, and even a tornado touched down about 15 miles south of here. Not a good end to the holiday weekend for some poor folks. :( Gloomy and cloudy right now with more rain for tomorrow. I'd like a white wine please, with some good conversation among friends. :)

RICHARD
09-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Okay - I'm dating myself now, but when I first started canning, it was with paraffin wax too.

I'll join the crew on the veranda - no watching the sunset here today. It was an afternoon of torrential rain, and even a tornado touched down about 15 miles south of here. Not a good end to the holiday weekend for some poor folks. :( Gloomy and cloudy right now with more rain for tomorrow. I'd like a white wine please, with some good conversation among friends. :)

I had a friend who use to say.....The sun always shines when you are cool..

I think you qualify..

Wine and done!!!!!

Karen
09-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Pom, when I was a kid we used paraffin wax to seal the jellies, and I always liked seeing if I could sculpt something out of the cooling wax once we were done!

pomtzu
09-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Pom, when I was a kid we used paraffin wax to seal the jellies, and I always liked seeing if I could sculpt something out of the cooling wax once we were done!

I hated sealing with wax! It was always challenging to get the wax off in one piece, and not leave wax crumbs on the top of the jelly! Even if I thought I got all the tiny pieces, the kids always managed to find a few that got left behind!

Karen
09-04-2012, 02:21 PM
We got very good at doing a smooooooooth pour, so it usually came off all in one piece! That was always a victory! And it was fun popping any bubbles in the wax with a toothpick as quick as could be so the seal would be perfect!

Lady's Human
09-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Using the paraffin was fun, the leftovers made really neat modeling clay while it was warm and hadn't completely soldified yet

I don't use it now, because it's so much easier with the modern canning jars and lids.

Lady's Human
09-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Durnit, I swear we were done canning tomatoes......

and freezing green beans.

Karen
09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Durnit, I swear we were done canning tomatoes......

and freezing green beans.

Now, now, you know there's no such thing as "done" until hard frost hits!

Lady's Human
09-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but we went from no green beans in the fridge to 2 gallon ziplocs full, and went from a few tomatoes ready to stew to a breadbowl full in a couple days.