PDA

View Full Version : Clipping nails

Heather Wallace
11-20-2002, 05:07 PM
Do you clip your pets nails or do you prefer a vet or groomer to do it?

I am able to clip Tatty the cats nails and Bunny's but I can't do Max(cat), Cadbury or Twinkles (rabbits) they are to wriggly for me.

What is your opinion?

Uabassoon
11-20-2002, 05:48 PM
I clip my two cats nails.

jenluckenbach
11-20-2002, 06:37 PM
I clip nails for a living....and I still have one cat that I cannot do (yet). Hopefull he will get better.

zookeeper
11-21-2002, 02:24 PM
I clip both my buns and cats nails. I prefer to have the dogs done by a groomer though, as they get too excited and just want to lick my face:rolleyes:

Heather Wallace
11-21-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by zookeeper
I prefer to have the dogs done by a groomer though, as they get too excited and just want to lick my face:rolleyes:
Aww.. how cute!

Chinadoll
11-22-2002, 09:58 AM
I clip all my pets nails....but I do believe the younger they are that you start, the easier it will be. Lulu, the baby, is the exception. I can't wrap her in a towel if she's too wiggly because she wiggles right out. I have to have Joey scruff her so I can clip her nails. I clip all ferts every other week and the kitties only wehn I notice their nails getting long. I can zip through and do all the furries in about 20 minutes.

Heather Wallace
11-22-2002, 10:09 AM
All your ferrets are so cute, they have the lovelist faces don't they?

My favorite is Jax - very cute!

Felicia's Mom
11-22-2002, 09:40 PM
Felicia has her nails clipped at the vets. The very first time I clipped them, I cut one too short and she has never forgotten it. Beau lets me clip his nails but, he won't hold still long enough for me to do them all at one sitting. I do his front nails one day and his back nails on another.

ownerof3dogs
11-24-2002, 10:48 PM
I clip my dogs nails(they like them clipped) and I clip my kitties nails too but they don't like it very much.

wolf_Q
11-25-2002, 01:59 AM
I clip my dogs nails, and I also clip pets nails at work. Because of work, it now drives me mad to see any dog with long nails (not to mention it's very painful for the dog!!). Nebo's are ALWAYS as short as they possibly can be lol.

Daisylover
11-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Hi Heather,
You might try wrapping Cad or Twinks up in a large bath towel (start at one end of the towel and roll them up in to a bunny taco), leaving the head exposed. Then place the bun on his back between your thighs, and pulling out one paw at a time and clip the nails quickly.... I find if I sit in a chair I can put the bunny's head down by my knees, then position the bun so that the head is lower than the butt, the bunny usually quits trying to get away....
It takes courage sometimes!!!! ;)

Good Luck!

Desert Arabian
11-27-2002, 03:07 PM
Our cat just has back claws, and I trim them. We don't trim the rats nails, even tho they are really sharp. But, a good idea to "trim" rats nails: rub them against a piece of sandpaper!

titania
11-30-2002, 08:47 AM
I clip my pets nails... though there are diffuculties... for instance our turtles closing up and our finches are so tiny that I need a magnifying glass to make sure I do it right.... I may start taking her to the vets.

tazz1227
12-17-2002, 07:28 AM
I can't do it. My buns do not stay still, especially Girl Girl. My vet gives me a godd deal for both and she loves to see them every few months. :)

neko1
12-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I clip my dogs nails, and I also clip pets nails at work. Because of work, it now drives me mad to see any dog with long nails (not to mention it's very painful for the dog!!). Nebo's are ALWAYS as short as they possibly can be lol.

That is my biggest pet peeve at work!!! I really hate it when people bring their animals in with really long nails!! Some people let them go so long that the nail grows around into the skin.

BTW- I clip all of my cats nails, they are nice and short ALL the time. They don't mind at all, I just lie them down on the floor and clip away.

wolf_Q
12-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by neko1

That is my biggest pet peeve at work!!! I really hate it when people bring their animals in with really long nails!! Some people let them go so long that the nail grows around into the skin.

BTW- I clip all of my cats nails, they are nice and short ALL the time. They don't mind at all, I just lie them down on the floor and clip away.

I wish more people would realize how painful this is to the animal....they just let them go WAY too long. I've seen several dogs with nails grown all the way into the pad, some where the nails start growing sideways...etc...usually the dew claws are the worst, people always forget those.

apcrs5122
01-10-2003, 09:38 PM
I have 2 guniea pigs that hate getting nails clipped, but I do it anyway. Does anyone have any tips on doing guinea pigs?:confused:

apcrs5122

wolfsoul
01-16-2003, 08:40 PM
i clip all my pets nails....but i only dont do the cats that often because shes always climbing trees and using her nails for lots of things, so not only does she wear them down, but they need to be that extra bit longer for all her fun activities :rolleyes: my dogs cant stand it and neither can the rats *sigh* but they need it done...so they have to put up with me being a "a horrible person" lol (in their words of course)

Aspen and Misty
01-20-2003, 07:44 PM
I clip Chewy's nails. Jilly's (bunny) need her nails clipped but I have no idea how and my vet doesn't show people how to clip nails. :(

Ash

RogueFerret
02-16-2003, 04:55 PM
My dog Valientine rarely needs her nails trimmed because she is always hard at work adding more holes to my yard. LOL! I trim my kitty Natasha's nails, but my other two cats are always using the scratching posts, so they rarely need thier's trimmed either. As for my three ferrets, the front paws are easy, but the back ones are a bit tricky because they kick and cry when I go to trim them. I always manage to get the job done anyway!:)

Daisylover
02-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Most small pets nails can be trimmed by rolling them up in a towel with just their head sticking out. This holds them steady when they try to flail around and get away. Then flip them on their back, puill out one paw at a time and work quickly. Very easy!. :cool:

zippy-kat
02-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Daisylover
Most small pets nails can be trimmed by rolling them up in a towel with just their head sticking out. This holds them steady when they try to flail around and get away. Then flip them on their back, puill out one paw at a time and work quickly. Very easy!. :cool:

The ol' bunny burrito!!
Works like a charm unless your name is PIPER! ;) (somehow she ALWAYS manages to wiggle out of it! lol)

harpmom
02-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Twinkles, too! I have given up trying to clip his nails. We just pay the $5 for the vet to do his manicure. Last time I tried bunny burrito to clip his nails, not only did he manage to get his head around to nip me, but he yanked the foot I was working on and we drew blood on not one, but two nails! Way too traumatic for both of us!

He hates to be picked up for any reason, but he hates being confined in the burrito even worse! And I can't work on his nails on the floor because I can't get the angle for my bifocals right unless he's on a table or counter:eek: !

tazz1227
02-18-2003, 06:08 AM
I TOTALLY agree. I have a special "bond" with my vet and she LOVES the kids and like to see them so she only charges me $7 to both of them. Now the problem comes getting them to the vet or shall I say, getting them in the carrier to take them to the vet. They actually need a bigger carrier because they are not "little" anymore however, once I get them in there, they huddle together so I figure they have PLENTY of room. :D

Jessica12345
02-18-2003, 07:37 PM
i clip mine.:D :) :D ;)

marysmerrycats
02-23-2003, 02:40 AM
I need help to cut my cats claws. Louise and Charlie are the worst, they really fight it! I have taken them to petsmart to have them done but I think that is too traumatic on them, and recently had a so called groomer come to the house, that will never touch my cats again! it was a disaster! they were SO stressed after that , I have just decided to do it myself again from now on, with my moms help, she hold them and I trim the nails! the worst part is catching Louise and Charlie LOL.

tikeyas_mom
02-24-2003, 02:11 PM
I trim Tikeyas nails *my siberian husky* whever possible* I try to do it when she is sleeping because she HATES it when ppl touch her feet ??:???:??

I also cut Oscars nails hes my shih tzu .. Hes a flopy puppy and does'nt care to much about it ..

I Try to trimm Ceekos*he's our cockitiel* nails when I can witch is like IMPOSSIBLE .. Hes a jerk and he always freaks out and bites...

I trim my hamsters nails once a month they are easy to do :) ..

I just for the first time cute Angels nails *my new angora dwarf rabbit* I dont think she has ever had it dont befor.. Poor thing was scared @ first but then she calmed down and let me do it :) ..