PDA

View Full Version : I find as I get older...

moosmom
08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
I seem to be less afraid of the dentist.

I went to the dentist yesterday for x-rays and to see what could be done about a broken crown on a back tooth.

It was 7:30 in the morning. She came in, looked at the x-ray and said the tooth couldn't be salvaged. She said the tooth, which had a root canal some 30 years ago, was rotted and needed to come out. :eek:

I panicked. I had never had a tooth pulled with just novicaine. In the past, I always went to an oral surgeon, to be put under a general anesthesia. I asked her if I could come back another day. She knew if I left, I probably wouldn't come back. I had just gotten up and was still a little groggy. She convinced me that she would totally numb me up so I wouldn't feel a thing. Because the tooth was below the gum, she had to cut it in half and remove it in two pieces.

Dr. Lin is a GENIUS!!!!! I felt nothing except her hands on my jaw. She was so caring and gentle. She said to raise my hand if I felt even a twinge of pain. I told her I wanted to see the tooth afterwards and she was right, it was rotted. The whole procedure took 15 minutes.

I did exactly as I was instructed to do, i.e., no swishing, no spitting, rinse with warm salt water, etc. It's been 24 hours since and I feel great!!

Would I do it again??? BRING IT ON!!!!

Karen
08-29-2012, 08:36 PM
There's one perk to getting older! :)

happylabs
08-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Good girl for being so brave.

I had the same exact thing happen to me. Failed root canal which caused the crown to keep falling out. My dentist no longer pulls teeth so I still have the little points of the tooth in the back, next to last tooth. That was a couple years ago! I keep saying I need to go to the other doc and have him pull the little bits of tooth that are left. :eek:

moosmom
08-30-2012, 06:24 AM
I think part of my fear was based on things I saw on tv as a kid (Three Stooges as dentists). I know, it's stupid. But the sound of the "crunching" tooth terrified me, and that's what I expected. Really dumb. I felt absolutely nothing and heard absolutely nothing.

Dr. Lin was SO good, I requested her again at my next visit!!!

Happylabs,

Thanks for the compliment!!;)

happylabs
08-30-2012, 07:44 AM
I think part of my fear was based on things I saw on tv as a kid (Three Stooges as dentists). I know, it's stupid. But the sound of the "crunching" tooth terrified me, and that's what I expected. Really dumb. I felt absolutely nothing and heard absolutely nothing.

Dr. Lin was SO good, I requested her again at my next visit!!!

Happylabs,

Thanks for the compliment!!;)

LOL! Actually, the dentist I went to as a child was sort of like the 3 Stooges. :D

redbird
08-30-2012, 11:07 AM
I went through the exact same thing, was told by my dentist that I would get novacaine only to extract my tooth, my dental insurance did not cover for complete anethesia. I couldn't believe it but I didn't feel a thing either but I sure was scared. I am still very afraid of dentist and don't go as often as I should, my bad.

I know I spelled a couple of words wrong but couldn't find the 'speller check'.

pomtzu
08-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Well Donna - one nice thing about getting older and dealing with the dentist - the older you get, it's most likely you are to have fewer teeth. Not in all cases of course, as some people keep all or most of their chompers all of their life!

My worst experience with a dentist was when I had a root canal in a back tooth, and the Novocaine didn't take. He just couldn't hit the right spot, and after waiting a good 45 minutes and numerous injections, I still wasn't numb. It happened I had a late afternoon appointment, and doc kept looking at the clock - and waiting. Finally as it approached 5 p.m. he said he was going to proceed, and said something to the effect of - "you know, it's almost 5 o'clock and I'd like to get out of here sometime tonight"! WTF??? - it didn't even have time to sink it, when he started it, and then it was too late to leave it partially finished. Talk about pain!!!!! :mad: I had gone to this same dentist for many years, but after that experience, I found a new dentist.

moosmom
08-30-2012, 03:15 PM
I've had numerous root canals. There's one tooth with a TEMPORARY crown that was put in MANY years ago. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right??