PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to all foster parents!!!

Litterati
08-29-2012, 01:58 PM
The short(er) version of a longer very heartwarming episode. So today I'm on my way home from the gym (my de-facto second home;)) when I see 3 college-age girls and a small cat carrier. Well as it is my custom to stop and chat with anyone who has a dog or kitty (I also stop and "talk" to any "stray" or "outdoor" cats, which BTW I strongly disapprove of, other than that I'm more or less sane depending on how creative the criteria are.) Turns out that there are not 1 but 3 of the tiniest kitties, 2 greys, 1 orangie) resting comfortably on a soft towel. The girls tell me that they are from a litter of 5 kitties who just yesterday were "dumped" in a parking lot. Now my opinion on so-called people who do such things is not printable in a family-friendly forum. In any case these adorable babies are only 4-weeks old and being fostered for our local SPCA until they are old enough to find furrever homes (although the girls told me that it is becoming more tempting to keep them :D.) Their cuteness also gave me "paws", IF my lease did not stipulate my only being allowed 1 cat and the stronger issue of IF my Dorian Gray (COTD March 19, 2012) would allow it, seeing as he is an attention-seeker and at times only seems to tolerate my presence ( a little anthropomorphism going on here LOL.) In all likelihood this trio will find homes, so this diatribe is just to say how impressed I am with foster parents who step in to literally save the day for abandoned pets.

PS This thread includes a too-large pic (I have no idea how to manage attachments) of my Dorry interacting with a visiting pigeon - thankfully through the window!

Karen
08-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Yes, all who foster do a great service, both to the animals they care for, and to the home that eventually get them, but socialized and often healthier and better prepared for life as a loved pet than they were initially!

mrspunkysmom
08-29-2012, 09:22 PM
That is so nice to hear of others stepping in to help.

I don't know why your pic is so large. Whenever I upload, I think the system re-sizes the pictures.

Anyway, I've included a picture at 16%. You may have to click on it to enlarge. I see it as a thumbnail.

Lillycat
08-29-2012, 09:48 PM
....I love your "thumbnail" ......cats so like to watch birds.....my cats race to the sunroom each morning to look at the birds, squirrels, chipmunks or whoever happens to be visiting that morning.....i have two dishes of birdseed awaiting the birds, etc., and
entertainment awaiting the cats.....they just lay there on the tables watching them.....safe for everybody.....I like to watch them tool

Litterati
08-29-2012, 10:55 PM
First I'm glad that the pic did not come out HUGE at least it seems not. My Dorry cat was not transfixed by a peaceful dove, but by a typical city-dwelling pigeon. I live on the top floor of my building and therefore do not encounter much in the way of natural creatures. There is an idiomatic saying "cat among the pigeons" which means: "If something or someone puts, or sets or lets, the cat among the pigeons, they create a disturbance and cause trouble." That's what made me grab my cell and snap this "reality shot." The fact that the pigeon stayed on a very high windowsill for about 2 hours was amazing, the fact that Dorry kept jumping back and forth watching it without trying to swat it was even more amazing. For a while I thought that perhaps the bird was injured, but eventually it just up and flew away to do whatever it is that pigeons do for amusement, perhaps it went off to find a statue to perch on. ;)