View Full Version : Stray Kitty Station

RockyRoad
11-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Hi I thought of this idea the day before when I saw these small little kitties running along the buses in my front lawn. Then I thought about all the homeless kitties out there and how lots of them died because of starvation and dehydration. So what I did was take a kitty carrier and put it outside with a bowl of milk and a bowl of food for lost or stray kitties to come and eat. And it is welcome to everyone; squirrels, raccoons, etc. Now I have been doing this for about three days and every day I am happy to find the milk and food dishes empty everyday. I know it could be raccoons and such getting a quick snack but I also knew that it could be kitties eating from these and sitting in these shelters during rainy days. Do you think this is a good idea? You Pet Talkers know more about cats than me so I was just wondering if it has any negative affects on the cats or if I should continue it.:)

Nomilynn
11-21-2002, 03:09 AM
You shouldn't feed them cow's milk because it isn't good for their digestive system. There are milk replacements that are better but they cost money :rolleyes:

It's good that you are trying to help them out though!

11-21-2002, 08:27 AM
What you are trying to do is just great Britt !!

Of course , some of them will coming back forever now , but isn't that better than starvation :confused: !!
Just remember , add half of water to the milk ; is better !

RockyRoad
11-21-2002, 02:34 PM
I do not mind the kitties coming back as long as they are happy! They had another empty glass today!:)

trinity
11-21-2002, 02:39 PM
Three cheers for you!!!

My husband and I put a box and blankets in our garage when we discovered a few of the neighborhood strays are going in and out to get out of the weather. I would love to put food out there but I'm a bit afraid of what it might attract. The two that use it seem to have homes but they wander quite a bit as well...

A friend from high school, who has 7 indoor cats of her own, has taken it a step further. Her dad built 2 100% Cedar "Cat Houses" that are on their front porch. Both of them have electric blankets in them and they feed/house probably a dozen strays. She has taken a few to various no kill shelters and stuff to get them off the streets. In fact, thats where we got our most recent addition!:D

NoahsMommy
11-21-2002, 02:58 PM
Very cool! You are doing a wonderful thing...I bet the kitties are so happy with their full tummies...

smokey the elder
11-22-2002, 08:52 AM
Ever since I adopted Diamond there have been very few strays around here. Before 2000 they would hide under the deck. Pixel was a stray I trapped. I left dry food and water out, but had a lot of problems with skunks.

Lillycat
12-11-2002, 06:51 PM
i think it is wonderful what you are doing......keep up the good works!

neko1
12-12-2002, 05:32 AM
I think its great! The stray kitties of the world need more people like you!!:)

catmandu
12-13-2002, 09:30 AM
What you could do is besides milk , go to your local pet food store and see if they have free sample packs of kitten food . That is what I do and it defrays the cost , and auguments thier diet in a crucial part of thier development.