PDA

View Full Version : Got a part-time job! First day of the rest of my life! Need some pawsitive thoughts!

mrspunkysmom
08-26-2012, 02:41 PM
There are two job openings for a math teacher. Both are temporary, one is a long term substitute position with the district I left, the other is with a one-semester full time position with benefits with another district. I didn't send my interest letters until Friday, so I hope it is not too late.

Either one of these will extend my savings for a few months before I have to move. Working can also help rebuild my reputation. I'll tell y'all more about my plans for the future in a little bit.

Karen
08-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Prayers on the way!

phesina
08-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Prayers for you, Anne, that something good comes of this for you!

mrspunkysmom
08-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Thank you, I'm asking all of my friends to put positive thoughts out there!

krazyaboutkatz
08-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. I hope things start looking up for you.

robinh
08-27-2012, 05:18 AM
Prayers sent your way!

Felicia's Mom
08-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you!

mrspunkysmom
08-27-2012, 06:02 PM
I had two phone calls today for jobs. One was from a district that is interviewing for the substitute pool. Interesting in that it was supposed to be a few more weeks until they started the initial interviews. Tuesday @ 1:30

The principal at a school that has a long term sub job called and left a message. I called back but he hasn't returned the call. I sent an email this evening. This is in the district that I left.

I haven't heard from the other district.

Wish me luck.

Edit. I just checked the other district (full time one semester only) and the position has been filled. I was too late. Drats.

phesina
08-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Sending along prayers and good wishes for you, Anne.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Lillycat
08-27-2012, 07:53 PM
........keep trying......something will turn up.....just do not give up.....sending positive thoughts!

mrspunkysmom
08-28-2012, 05:52 PM
I had the district interview and the lady sent me right to one of the high schools to meet the substitute liaison. Because of my 25 years of experience, I don't have to attend the normal training classes. Financial paperwork is all filled out. The business manager was helpful, too, with planning for my retirement. It appears I have to work the last 5 years in a permanent position before I actually retire in order to qualify for health and life insurance benefits. So
I can't substitute my way to retirement

It seems they have a shortage of certified substitute teachers and no certified math substitutes. I enjoyed meeting the second lady at the high school. T

The sad part is that this district pays little more than minimum wage for certified substitutes. I am hoping to turn this into an opportunity to get a full time position. In the meantime I will be looking outside the education field for better paying jobs.

It seems that my boss never sent a reference for me. A friend who was also a supervisor sent in a reference. I hope that this new situation as a substitute doesn't get screwed up.

The other long term position person did not call back and the position in another district was already taken. I am assuming I am persona non gratis (sp?) in my old system.

mrspunkysmom
08-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Lillycat and Phesina, thank you for your encouraging words.

:love: :love:

cassiesmom
08-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Sending along prayers and good wishes for you, Anne.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

From here too --- fingers and paws crossed and will be praying.

Alysser
08-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Hey, at least you got something for the time being! Things are looking up. Really hope you do find something a little more permanent though. :):love:

Lillycat
08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
I have been there and know what it is like and how you have been feeling....I have been following this thread..I was a teacher also.....I am hoping this works out for you.....remember no matter what.....do not lose the faith....as long as you keep
trying, something will turn up.....

mrspunkysmom
08-29-2012, 11:13 PM
I have been there and know what it is like and how you have been feeling....I have been following this thread..I was a teacher also.....I am hoping this works out for you.....remember no matter what.....do not lose the faith....as long as you keep
trying, something will turn up.....

Thank you, Lillycat. I am trying to keep the faith. My favorite phrase. Faith Manages.

Hey, at least you got something for the time being! Things are looking up. Really hope you do find something a little more permanent though. :):love:

You sound like my friend "S" who said something similar "baby steps". I just need to make rent, car payment stuff, electric and water, cat food, and medicines. The rest I can work out.

Thanks for the good wishes, Alyser

Note: I might have to go into default on a few things. Credit card company was nice. They were pleased I am taking this head on. Charter communications was not. Wouldn't let me cancel the contract or even just keep internet. Said I would have to pay a fine. About 70 dollars. I might do that. hmmm It's one time and cheaper. It's the TV that's expensive. Might call my car people and see what can be done. Maybe pay interest only. Actually loss of income is insured, but I'm not sure it would apply if I resigned. Although I had a good reason.

Pinot's Mom
08-30-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, Anne. Prayers for a job soon! {{{hugs}}}

Lillycat
08-30-2012, 06:17 PM
.....prayers going out from here too.....remember, this too shall pass....hang in there and see it through.

mrspunkysmom
08-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Thank you both! I keep applying. I might have to move, but I will do what I can to make sure my kitties and myself are safe.

mrspunkysmom
09-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Got an interview in Charleston tomorrow. The email I got through the automated system says 30 minutes. I hope I don't drive 5 hours for just a 30 minute interview especially i he's already selected his person.

So I'm keeping positive thoughts. Wish me luck to get the job and hope that I can have two weeks to get moved.

Karen
09-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Sounds good, positive thoughts on the way, now study up a bit on Charleston history so you can have something to say about why you want to move there - and something to do once the interview is over, after making that drive! :)

Lillycat
09-06-2012, 12:29 PM
.......prayers going with you all the way.....best of luck!!!

robinh
09-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Saying a prayer that it goes well.

mrspunkysmom
09-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Sounds good, positive thoughts on the way, now study up a bit on Charleston history so you can have something to say about why you want to move there - and something to do once the interview is over, after making that drive! :)

Great idea. I had already planned to go early so that I could tour the island and to leave some leeway in caeof traffic along the interstate.

Karen
09-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Great idea. I had already planned to go early so that I could tour the island and to leave some leeway in caeof traffic along the interstate.

Found a good site - http://www.charlestoncvb.com/ - and it includes history and "what to see/do" - in case this will help!

mrspunkysmom
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Found a good site - http://www.charlestoncvb.com/ - and it includes history and "what to see/do" - in case this will help!

Thanks. Wish I had checked back in last night.

Interview lasted an hour, 30 minutes longer than planned. The principal, his assistant Prin. and the Math chair were in there. In reflection, it was not my best interview, but definitely not my worst. I do not like interviews and am not myself in them. AT least this time I wasn't nervous. There were a couple of questions I could have answered better or clearer. And as usual, when I am explaining how I do things, I find that I answer some questions before asked.

I won't know until Tuesday.

The island is busy and congested. You wouldn't know you were on an island. The bridge is short and the traffic so heavy I would not have realized that I was on an island if there wasn't a sign on the bridge. Very humid there, though.

I am actually more worried about this silly PIN I was wearing on my "jacket". It's a loose gauze over another tank type shirt. I put a blue salamander pin on it to hold it closed. It fell off in the parking lot and I put it back on. The tail had broken off but I didn't notice until afterward. I just hope they don't think I didn't care. In my tired and weird sense of humor, I wondered if the tail could row back.

Edit: row (boat) should be grow. I might have been thinking of that deluge that affronted those of us on I 26 just as I leaving Charleston. We we literally stopped in our tracks. It only covered a small area a mile or so up the road, but we were going 10 miles per hour when we were moving, so it was at least a half hour until I discovered the problem.

I'm just glad my bra didn't unsnap until dinner at cracker barrel. I've been thinning some if not losing pounds and I guess didn't have it tight enough this morning.

Pretty area though.

I'm ambivalent about this. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Karen
09-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Good luck in any case! :) And little Sal's tail won't grow back, but maybe he brought you some luck anyway!

mrspunkysmom
09-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Good luck in any case! :) And little Sal's tail won't grow back, but maybe he brought you some luck anyway!

Maybe he did. Que sera, sera.

Lillycat
09-08-2012, 06:25 PM
.......all "paws" crossed here......

mrspunkysmom
09-24-2012, 09:17 PM
I think sometimes we are where we need to be.

I got a part-time teaching job today. I might start as late as Monday. I go in tomorrow to get set up, get textbooks, meet teachers, etc. Yes, it's local. No moving.

I had the interview today. He didn't even call my previous boss, because he knows him. I thought that strange. He did call the previous school. Supposedly I have trouble with classroom management. He wanted me to promise to work on it.

I promised I would. My real thoughts are that my management isn't an issue. It's the lack of support by administration. But I didn't say that.

So let's hope this is my foot in the door and this develops into a full time job.

Now i jsut need to get energized about the whole thing.

And find a roommate. The money will pay the basic bills and car payment. Just not any other loans.

mrspunkysmom
09-24-2012, 11:15 PM
sigh

Scooter's Mom
09-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Good luck with the part-time position!
I'm sure you can make it turn into a full time opportunity.

phesina
09-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Congratulations, Anne! Best wishes.

robinh
09-25-2012, 05:12 AM
I think God puts us where he wants us to be for a reason. We might not see it at the time, but there is a purpose here. Whether it's for you or for someone else, you have what is needed here to turn this into a golden opportunity.

Congratulations on being the person you are - perfect! Go get 'em girl!

mrspunkysmom
09-25-2012, 05:44 PM
I start Monday, which is good. At first I wanted to start today, but I need to get paperwork done, get books, ID, etc. they are creating some new classes due to overcrowded classes and that will take time too.

Haven't signed contract yet and it won't feel final until that is signed. But I'm meeting with people and getting to know people. These people are a way lot nicer than the last two places I worked.

Karen
09-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Sounds good so far! :)

Lillycat
09-25-2012, 06:59 PM
....what does part time mean for you?.....a few days a week or a half-day five days a week?.....just curious as that is new to me....
I think it is grand you have secured a job....the next one will come easier....it is the first one back that seems to be the hardest....
it is nice that you can remain local.....at least for now.....sending positive thoughts to you for the week/s ahead......

mrspunkysmom
09-25-2012, 08:45 PM
2 blocks per day. about 3.5 hours. It's an B-B and Skinny schedule. For non-educators, that means that some courses are offered on alternating days all year for 90 minutes each. Freshman courses are offered at 45 minutes each every day. Classes are blocked together to facilitate scheduling.

This is half-pay. It's still good pay. Way better than minimum wage. I might get to sub in the mornings when teachers have to be out part day.

Lillycat
09-25-2012, 08:49 PM
o.k......thanks for letting me know. I was a first grade teacher ......so was just wondering.....it sounds the best so far.....and nice that you may be able to pick up a little subbing too.....

mrspunkysmom
09-25-2012, 10:52 PM
yes, it does. That's okay.

I'm being Silly. I have to have a birth certificate to be employed in this district. I guess my 40 year old SSN card (I'm older) isn't good enough. So the last time i used that card was 1978 to get my license. At least I that was the last time I used my birth certificate. I've seen it since. I might have used it when mom passed to prove my existence.

So, of course, I cannot find it now. I'm not losing a job over a certificate, so I just ordered one or two. <grin> :D

What's funny is I have the actual hospital records of my birth with discharge papers. I hope the lady inn payroll will accept the records in lieu of certificate until it arrives.

Bengalz
09-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Congratulations Anne - enjoy your new adventure!!

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Congrats!!!:) I hope that you'll like the job, students, and other people at the new school. Good luck.:)

Lillycat
09-26-2012, 02:00 AM
.....can't wait to hear about your first days.....I loved teaching.....

mrspunkysmom
09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Tomorrow I go in to observe. Get some textbooks, look at others plans and etc.

Monday morning I speak with insurance people.

Monday afternoon 11:20 I think I have my first class.

Friday is the Birthday! Taking it off.

Karen
09-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Sounds good, good luck with everything, hope it goes smoothly!