PDA

View Full Version : Venus

kitten645
08-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Have you seen this pretty baby? Amazing!

Karen
08-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Yes, a classic example of chimerism! Pretty kitty!

chocolatepuppy
08-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Wow, pretty baby! It looks like someone painted her that way!:cool:

phesina
08-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Oh, my gosh.. she looks like two different cats fused together!

Karen
08-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Oh, my gosh.. she looks like two different cats fused together!

Yes, that is what chimerism is:

"A chimera or chimaera is a single organism (usually an animal) that is composed of two or more different populations of genetically distinct cells that originated from different zygotes involved in sexual reproduction. If the different cells have emerged from the same zygote, the organism is called a mosaic. Chimeras are formed from at least four parent cells (two fertilized eggs or early embryos fused together). Each population of cells keeps its own character and the resulting organism is a mixture of tissues."

phesina
08-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Thank you, Karen. I never knew about that.

Pat

mrspunkysmom
08-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Yes, that is what chimerism is:

"A chimera or chimaera is a single organism (usually an animal) that is composed of two or more different populations of genetically distinct cells that originated from different zygotes involved in sexual reproduction. If the different cells have emerged from the same zygote, the organism is called a mosaic. Chimeras are formed from at least four parent cells (two fertilized eggs or early embryos fused together). Each population of cells keeps its own character and the resulting organism is a mixture of tissues."

Neither did I. Sounds confusing. Intriguing, too. Thanks :)

momcat
08-27-2012, 07:38 AM
What a face!!!:love: That is one beautiful little kitty! Thanks for the explanation, Karen. I'm always amazed at how genetics works.

mrspunkysmom
08-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Here is a link to her Facebook page

Venus the Amazing Chimera Cat.
(https://www.facebook.com/VenusTheAmazingChimeraCat)