PDA

View Full Version : Belgium Waffle Mix

pomtzu
08-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Has anyone used any?? - what brand - did you like it???

I have a Belgium waffle maker, and I've just been using the Bisquick waffle recipe to make the the waffles. They turn out good, but not as fluffy as a true Belgium. I've seen several different brands on line, and Krusteaz seems to get a very good rating. Sam's also carries this brand and I was going to try it, but being that they sell it in a 5lb pound bag, I thought I'd try to get some input first. I like to make up a couple of batches of the waffles and freeze them, then just take one out and pop in the toaster oven when I get a craving for one, either for breakfast or served with ice cream! YUM..:D And grandson starts back to school on Tuesday, and it's a quick and tasty breakfast for him, rather than a darn PopTart!! :( And no - making from scratch is not an option, as the older I get, the easier I like my tasks. :p

Anyone???

Freedom
08-25-2012, 04:21 PM
I use the Bisquick one.

Karen
08-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Funny enough, you can go on Amazon.com and type in "Belgian Waffle mix" and get reviews for many of the kinds available online, including Krusteaz!

pomtzu
08-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Funny enough, you can go on Amazon.com and type in "Belgian Waffle mix" and get reviews for many of the kinds available online, including Krusteaz!

Yeah - I've already done that, and Krusteaz seems to be good. I really don't want to order any on line tho, and the Krusteaz is a good price - and even a better price at Sam's. I was just wondering if anyone had used any and how they liked what they were using.

Catty1
08-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I just make pancake mix from scratch and use that. Heck, I can't tell the difference! :D

pomtzu
08-25-2012, 05:46 PM
I just make pancake mix from scratch and use that. Heck, I can't tell the difference! :D

A true Belgium waffle is much lighter and fluffier than a regular waffle.

Karen
08-25-2012, 07:13 PM
A true Belgium waffle is much lighter and fluffier than a regular waffle.

From what I can tell from recipes online, a true Belgian waffle involves yeast making the dough rise - hence the fluffiness! Maybe we could get Lut to ring in! ;) She is our Belgian representative of course!

chocolatepuppy
08-25-2012, 08:34 PM
As a waffle lover, this is interesting. I just use Aunt Jemima mix, never tried a true Belgian waffle!

Bengalz
08-25-2012, 09:34 PM
This is the recipe I use with my Belgian Waffle Maker - I know it's scratch but it's not too bad to mix up and makes quite a few waffles - I always have a good stack of waffles for the freezer:D. They are nice and light and I usually add a dash of cinnamon! I have tried belgian waffle mixes and find them heavy and dry.

Classic Belgian Waffles
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003
Ingredients
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups milk
non-stick cooking spray
Directions
Preheat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions. In 1 medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set
aside. In a second bowl use the wooden spoon to beat together the egg yolks and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and eggs
have turned a pale yellow. Add the vanilla extract, melted butter, and milk to the eggs and whisk to combine. Combine the egg-milk
mixture with the flour mixture and whisk just until blended. Do not over mix. In third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until
soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Using the rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter. Do not overmix! Coat the
waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour enough batter in iron to just cover waffle grid. Close and cook as per manufacturer's
instructions until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.

Catty1
08-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Yes it was my understanding that folding in beaten egg whites give the Belgian waffles their texture. I just haven't tried that yet. :)

pomtzu
08-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the recipe, Bengalz, but after many, many years of cooking from scratch, I like shortcuts now. Of course I still cook from scratch, but things like cakes, brownies pancakes or waffles, I use a mix - but NEVER for cookies! :eek: The mixes are very good - and quick and simple!

Still looking for input on the waffle mix if anyone has any..................

Freedom
08-26-2012, 08:08 AM
I'm with Karen, I took a peak at some recipes on line, they all have active yeast in there. Fluffed up egg whites will help too; the recipes I saw you had to separate the eggs and fluff the whites.

Too much work for me as well, Ellie, but at least we are learning!

pomtzu
08-26-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm with Karen, I took a peak at some recipes on line, they all have active yeast in there. Fluffed up egg whites will help too; the recipes I saw you had to separate the eggs and fluff the whites.

Too much work for me as well, Ellie, but at least we are learning!

Tee-hee-hee. Now you know why I'm looking for a good mix!!! Did I mention that my middle name is "Lazy"???

Cataholic
08-26-2012, 04:14 PM
I thought of you this am when I made J pancakes! I had asked if he'd rather pancakes or waffles, and he chose the 'easier'. However, making waffles from scratch is so not hard! If you have an kitchen aid mixer, the egg whites are done in two shakes of a cats tail. Leave the butter out overnight, and wah-lah, step two is done, too. I use yeast that I store in the fridge, and simply heat up the milk a tad more than necessary, and let it sit and soften for a few minutes before stirring. The taste of home made waffles is worth it, Pom.

And, if you make a double batch? You are really set! Well, set for a month, anyhow. :)

Gotta run....making a huge batch of pesto and C.C cookies for J's lunch this week! Pesto for me, CCC for him.

chocolatepuppy
08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Got this today! Don't know when I'll get around to making them though!;)
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=54685&d=1346018013

pomtzu
08-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Got this today! Don't know when I'll get around to making them though!;)
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=54685&d=1346018013

Can you give it a try before I go grocery shopping on Friday??? Please-please-please............:D

chocolatepuppy
08-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Can you give it a try before I go grocery shopping on Friday??? Please-please-please............:D

Oh geez, I'll try!;) That's a lot of work to mix an egg, oil and water together!:p Maybe I'll have them for dinner one night.

chocolatepuppy
09-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Here they are! I didn't notice much difference from regular mix except that they may have had a sweeter taste and they may have been a bit lighter.
And no, I didn't eat the whole stack, only one.:D
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=54789&d=1346677236

thbaker41
09-03-2012, 08:16 AM
What did someone mention waffels man make mine blueberry with some whip cream and pure maple syrup with some bacon or sausage dang might as well throw in some fried egg's sunny side up and top it off with some fried taters tall glass of appel juice to drink well time to make brekfast and being as I have only eggs recon it's Cap crunch this morning

pomtzu
09-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Here they are! I didn't notice much difference from regular mix except that they may have had a sweeter taste and they may have been a bit lighter.
And no, I didn't eat the whole stack, only one.:D
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=54789&d=1346677236

Well they certainly do look good, and much more appetizing than that bowl of Honeycombs I had for breakfast!

I still didn't get any mix - Walmart only had the pancake mix in the box of that brand, and I didn't want to get the 5lb bag at Sam's until I tried them first. I'll have to check for a box of it at the supermarkets in town.

No - I sure hope you didn't eat that whole stack!!! :eek: I'm doing good to get just half of one down. :D