PDA

View Full Version : My sympathy goes to the poor Polar bears

Randi
08-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Polar bears are having a really rough time, more and more ice are melting at Antarctica and many of them starve to death. Other species, like the polar fox and the white whale benefit, though, but I really like polar bears, so it's heartbreaking to see. :(

Watch it if you get it on one your channels!

I watched first part of program called:
Nature's Great Events - Engelsk naturprogram fra 2009.

Lady's Human
08-19-2012, 05:04 PM
The breakup of some of the ice shelves in the Antarctic has no effect on polar bears, as Polar bears inhabit the Arctic and subarctic regions of the world, which are at the northern extremes of the planet, and the Antarctic is at the southern end.

The only land animals inhabiting the Antarctic continent are penguins.

Randi
08-20-2012, 05:12 AM
You're right. I don't know why I wrote Antarctica, when I meant Arctic.

Freedom
08-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks for sharing this, Randi. Climate changes (whether natural or man made) always have an impact. As technology progresses, we learn more about this.

Kirsten
08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I read an article on Polar Bears lately, and it didn't sound very hopeful. It was basically about a petition PETA has started to prohibit polar bears being kept in zoos (too small enclosures, and they suffer in the heat of the summer), but it also mentioned the melting of the ice caps. The article said that in case the ice cap of the Arctic is melting entirely, there would be no hope for this beautiful species. It's so sad...