PDA

View Full Version : What kind of mushroom is this???

chocolatepuppy
08-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Does anyone know what type of mushroom this is or if it even is a mushroom? It's a red color on top but covered with this slimey brown/green stuff!:rolleyes: I pull them out and they appear again over night. They are hollow in the stem. I'm afraid they could be poisonous and they're in my flowerbed inside my fence! I tried googling mushroom pics but couldn't find these.
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=54529&d=1345301582

pomtzu
08-18-2012, 11:14 AM
ICK - and slimy too??? - double ICK! :eek: I don't know what they are, but I'd continue to destroy them. We get all kinds of different looking ones growing here. Some are tiny, and some are huge! Now that we had some rain off and on for the past couple of weeks, they are popping up all over the place. I just step on them and smush them real good so that the dogs don't mess with them. I don't know which ones are poisonous and which aren't.

Alysser
08-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Looks to me like a red stinkhorn or some type of stinkhorn fungi...is the slime or mushroom foul smelling? They're supposed to smell bad to attract flies or something that'll spread their spores.

Not 100% sure it is, but Stinkhorn can look REALLY odd. From pictures I've seen they can look like starfish, or mushrooms with crab claws or just like yours looks.

chocolatepuppy
08-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks Alyssa, that's what they are!:D Now that I have a name, I could Google them! MushroomExpert.Com says [No, they won't hurt you (or your children, or your pets);] Didn't notice a smell, was pulling them out fast with a paper towel. They creep me out!:rolleyes:

cassiesmom
08-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Yecch! Stinkhorns! I've read that you can pour a weak solution of bleach in boiling water to kill them, but I don't know if you'd want to be putting bleach into the soil of your flower bed. Maybe better just to dig them out before they start smelling. Hopefully the soil dries out fast.

Freedom
08-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Never heard of it. So used Google and put in stinkhorn pictures, yep that's it!

Here is where to find how to control them:
https://www.google.com/search?q=stinkhorn+mushroom+control&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

chocolatepuppy
08-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the link Sandie. Just great, it says [Apparently stinkhorns like a substrate of rotting wood] and I have mulch in the flowerbed! :rolleyes:

Alysser
08-19-2012, 12:25 AM
I've never read that they were poisonous but I am pretty sure they're REALLY hard to get rid of. A friend of mine had this issue in her mom's garden and asked me what to do about it since I am a "nature" person. I told her "I can probably identify it but that doesn't mean I know what to do about it"...LOL. Sorry I am virtually useless in that realm.

chocolatepuppy
08-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Well for right now, pulling them out is my only option. Maybe stripping down the flowerbed this fall and getting rid of years of mulch may help. This is the first year I've had them and they don't pop up every day, just every few days.