PDA

View Full Version : Cat Stroller - fun or crazy cat lady?

Queen of Poop
08-17-2012, 01:13 PM
I've been thinking Cali and/or Diego might enjoy going outside in a cat stroller. The few people I've mentioned this to have told me absolutely NO!!! I'll look like the crazy cat lady, the cat's won't like it, etc. So thought I'd pose the idea here and see what everyone thinks.

Karen
08-17-2012, 01:33 PM
I think people might be curious about it, but if they don't like a harness or leash and harness, a stroller might be a fun thing! And you might meet more neighbors that way!

kuhio98
08-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Oh! Are we supposed to care what the neighbors think? :p
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Pepper%20Pea%20Pod%20Pie/Catwalk.jpg

Bobcat and I get laughs and stares, but who cares? Here's a photo from last winter. It is really helping Bobcat with his balance and coordination -- not to mention exercise.

happylabs
08-17-2012, 02:52 PM
I see nothing wrong with it! If the cats enjoy it and you enjoy it, go for it! People think I am crazy because I take Buddy (cat) on a leash. What do I care? I am making myself and Buddy happy. :)

Freedom
08-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Some cats, like my Sparkle, are very outgoing and enjoy strollers. Other cats are more 'shy,' and would be nervous.

Warning: I suggest either make certain the stroller is totally closed in, OR keep harness and leash on kitty, with leash in your hand.

Many of my cats are indoor only and the whole idea of being outdoors would spook them.

Queen of Poop
08-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Some cats, like my Sparkle, are very outgoing and enjoy strollers. Other cats are more 'shy,' and would be nervous.

Warning: I suggest either make certain the stroller is totally closed in, OR keep harness and leash on kitty, with leash in your hand.

Many of my cats are indoor only and the whole idea of being outdoors would spook them.

I think Cali might really enjoy it, Diego not so much. But it gets so HOT in our condo that I thought it might be nice to get them out in the breeze. I've tried harnesses and leashes on the deck, but to no avail, they both lie there like they're dead until I take the harness off. No harness they're both more than game to go on the balcony, but it's not safe that way.

happylabs
08-17-2012, 04:39 PM
If you do it, take pics! Would love to see it.

cassiesmom
08-17-2012, 10:12 PM
My mom and dad have a neighbor who walks with her Bichons in a stroller. She gets some exercise and everyone gets some fresh air. My dad notices when they miss a day of walking because she lives by herself.

sallyandsnowx
08-18-2012, 12:14 AM
If you and your kitties enjoy it, don't let other people's opinions bother you. :D

If you do it, take pics! Would love to see it.

I agree! Pictures would be nice. :)

Randi
08-18-2012, 07:29 AM
It would be great if you could borrow one and see how he likes it. I love the one Bobcat is showing, that would be perfect for when I take Fister to the vet - I use an old stroller, if I can't get anyone to drive him.

Kirsten
08-18-2012, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't care if people would call me a crazy cat lady or whatever. If the cats like it, why not. If they don't like it, they will tell you! :D I think Luna may have enjoyed this when she was younger.

moosmom
08-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Ah COME ON!!!! I do it all the time with Isis and Utchie. And you make Crazy Cat Lady sound like it's a bad thing!!!:rolleyes:

catmandu
08-18-2012, 09:38 AM
This is satrting me to wonder if My Found Hotel Cats would like to be walked or not:confused::confused:
And which Cat would like that the most!!!;););)That certainly would be a great oppurtunity to get Roast Beef at Metros!!!:cool::cool::cool:

kuhio98
08-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Pepper, Willow and Willy loved it. But, when we put all 3 in there, Pepper and Willow would pick on poor Willy. :(
Now, we usually take Pepper by herself because she's made a friend in the Spaniel down the street. We roll by his fence and he comes running over wagging his whole body and he and Pepper have a conversation.

Cammie doesn't go because she never wants to be more than 3 inches from a heat source. :p

moosmom
08-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Kuhio,

My cats won't stray far from their food source!!:eek::eek:

Utchie and Isis love going to the park in the back of my apt. bldg. When Utchie is with her, she enjoys the fresh air.

I say GO FOR IT!! If they get stressed out, don't put 'em through it.

PISSHAW to the neighbors! CRAZY CAT LADIES (AND GENTLEMEN) UNITE!!!!:D

Word of advice...DO NOT do the transfer from arms to stroller outside!! Guaranteed to lose a cat. Wheel them out with the screen up. (but you KNOW that)

kuhio98
08-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Word of advice...DO NOT do the transfer from arms to stroller outside!! Guaranteed to lose a cat. Wheel them out with the screen up. (but you KNOW that)

Definitely! We make sure they are zipped up before going outside.
My poor brother still grieves for a kitty he lost. The kitty hated the carrier, so my brother always carried him from the car to the vet and back in his arms. He was just putting the cat back in the car when a passing truck backfired. Kitty went crazy and scratched him bloody. He could not hold on and the kitty ran away into the woods. My brother stayed in the vet's parking lot for hours trying to get the cat back. He and my mother went back every day for the next 3 days, but never found the kitty. :(

Very sad lesson learned.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering about us taking the kitties out in the snow, the cheetah looking fabric thing in the stroller with Pepper is a Snuggle Safe. You heat it in the microwave and it stays warm for hours. It keeps them warm on our winter walks. I also heat one up at night for Cammie. It seems to help her arthritis quite a bit.

Randi
08-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Lisa, any chance you have a picture of that Snuggle Safe? It sounds like what I was looking for for Pjevs who lived in our yard - he's long gone, though :( - but in case other kitties move in to the yard and the winter is freezing cold, it would be nice to know where to get one. Fister might even like it, too. :)

kuhio98
08-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Randi ~ Here you go. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31iksq5L53L._AA300_.jpg

We have several that we ordered from Amazon.com They are made of a hard plastic with a gel inside that you heat in the microwave. You can put it under a towel or blanket for your cats/dogs to lie on or buy one of the covers they make. Ours won't lie on the hard plastic without a cover -- maybe because it's too hot at first.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41e2dSbt6jL._AA300_.jpg

Read the directions carefully as you may have a more powerful microwave. We heat ours for 5 minutes and it stays warm all night.

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imports-SnuggleSafe-Heating/dp/B00008AJH9/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1345316935&sr=1-1&keywords=snuggle+safe+disc

Randi
08-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Thank you, Lisa! I have only seen one other, that was one John's niece had brought one winter, she used to put under the sheets. It was square and thinner, and I believe she heated it for two minutes. It kept warm for a couple of hours. :)

I'll have a closer look at the link later - thanks again! :)

moosmom
08-19-2012, 08:06 AM
I use those for newborn kittens. My nekkids LOVE it when I remember to heat it up. Heck, it's summer!