PDA

View Full Version : Summertime - Kind of a poll

Karen
08-14-2012, 06:33 PM
How does your pet deal with summer weather? Does it like the heat, or would he or she rather be inside in air conditioning? It's been perrty hot summer here, although we have had rain, unlike lots of places, but just thought it would be interesting to see how pets from various parts of the country deal with the heat!

Miss Hoppy didn't like it, but she hated to be wet, and was certain air conditioners and fans ate small brown rabbits, so would not go near them despite the cool breeze. So we would freeze a use plastic water bottle, filling it about halfway full or a bait more, and set that on the kitchen floor, where she would stretch out next to it in the area of cool air it created, and sometimes (rarely) lick the condensation off it.

chocolatepuppy
08-14-2012, 07:14 PM
My dogs don't run around the yard and play nearly as much when it's hot out. They usually look for shade and pant!

Lady's Human
08-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Lady and Trill find cool spots and hide.

Patch is his usual spastic self, regardless of the temperature.

Asiel
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
I really don't give my dog a chance to stay outside but she does love walks no matter how hot the weather is - when she goes potty she will often just come back and lay in the sun on the deck or in the grass. I don't let her stay long, I prefer to keep her in the a/c.

Taz_Zoee
08-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Taggart will go out, but if I go out with him he usually wants to come back in quickly.
Zoee doesn't care about the heat. She just wants to chase the lizards and frogs. Also, since she is at my moms, she always wants to go in the pool.
My brothers dogs know exactly where to lay in the house.......right on top of the A/C vent. Even my niece's puppy does it. :)
Also, in my house and my moms my dogs prefer to lay in the hallway. It really is the coolest place in the house. Having hardwood floors is nice for the animals too.

pomtzu
08-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Myndi: She's a little house hound and hates being outside no matter what the weather. She loves being cool and comfy in her air conditioned house in this hot weather, and will only want to go out for a brief potty call.

Sparky: Just the opposite of Myndi - he loves the great outdoors - except when there's snow or ice on the ground!. He's not fond of the extremely hot and humid weather we've been having this summer, so only really wants to be out early in the a.m. before it gets too hot. Just as well, because I can't let him stay out for more than a few minutes in the heat because of his heart condition.

mrspunkysmom
08-15-2012, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't know because I don't let them out. Emily would probably like it. I know Spunky and Sam do not do well with heat. I am horrible with heat.

They do drink a bit more though I know that could be the A/C too.

Winter time they feel. They eat me out of house and home.

Alysser
08-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Pugs don't deal with heat very well, but I guess PUGGLES can be a different story. Mikey loves the word "out" or "park" or "hike", he generally is fine. I walk him a mile (or more) two times a week (most weeks anyway!) and he is fine with a few bowls of cold water and a nice swim after. His other half, the beagle, I think makes him great for hiking in any weather. He has gotten overheated a few times and I took him home, but he's usually okay. I wouldn't take him out if it was 100 degrees anyway :)

Karen
08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Yes, Mikey is blessed with a longer snout that Pugs thanks to the Beagle genes - after all you try breathing in hot weather if the end of your nose was smushed in to be almost level with your cheekbones! No thanks!

Freedom
08-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Being companion animals, my bichons only want to be where I am. If I sit outside with my book and iced tea, they sit with me -- with limits. In the really high temps, I am out there basically FOR THEM. After 10 minutes, they realize the nice a/c is inside with Poppa Nonno, and they don't care where I am they want IN! LOL However, if I am game for walkies, they are too! Lacey in particular, she doesn't know when to stop, we have to make sure to get her in before she overheats. She's always been this way -- I remember her first summer here, she would have us out there throwing a ball for her and she'd be dragging herself after it, but she'd insist we throw it again. Um, no, time to stop. Sulk? Oh Lacey is great at sulking! He he heee

My cats haven't a clue as they are indoor only. So they are in the a/c, and if the night cools as it will tonight, I shut the a/c and open the windows. They love that as they can see and HEAR all the night noises. They sleep MORE the next day, I mean more than usual for a cat.