PDA

View Full Version : DVD/VCR Combo reviews, info please?

Freedom
08-07-2012, 10:31 AM
I want to buy a new dvd/ vcr combo player.

This is what I have:
TV: 2 years old, surround sound/dolby compatible, HD
Home Speaker system: 1 years old, surround sound, digital dolby

My current DVD/VCR combo is NOT dolby / surround sound. None of my VCR tapes are either, but my DVDs are. Plus, I can't leave it all hooked up and watch TV, because the sound goes through the combo and I lose the dolby, so I have to leave the combo disconnected and, when we want to watch something, I have to go attach and shift wires first.

None of my current equipment is Blu Ray.

Questions:
Do I buy a new combo unit that IS Blu Ray, or will that give me new issues?
I don't really NEED Blu Ray, don't have any dvd's of that sort. (Blu Ray came out after VCRs were old, so none of those are). Not sure what Blu Ray is, a feature (so I can ignore it) or the new technology (I may want to get it).

What else do I need to know, in picking a new combo unit?

Thanks!

redbird
08-07-2012, 11:37 AM
All I can tell you from my experience is that DVD/VCR combo's are not easy to find. I looked for one but found I had very little choice, in fact there was only one available and I didn't like it. I will stay with my old VCR which still works well, I have two of them connected to both TV's. I also have my DVD player connected to the larger TV. Since everything works well right now, I will just keep and use what I have. Good luck in finding what you want. Eventually I will order the DVR from my cable company and not bother with the VCR anymore.

Freedom
08-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I already checked on Google, there were several combo options to choose from.

moosmom
08-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't like buying anything combo because when one thing goes (like the DVD player) you're stuck with just the VCR working. JMO

Marigold2
08-07-2012, 09:12 PM
VCR are hopelessly out of date, I don't believe they make any more tapes. Blue Ray is a DVD but with 6 times the sharpness. The audio is a couple of 100 x better.
Invest in a Blue Ray of medium price and you won't go wrong. About $200.00.

Freedom
08-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Marigold, I have several hundred VCR tapes, not giving up on them, we watch them over and over and over and . . . . .

I only have 6 DVDs and do not plan on buying any more of them.

Alysser
08-08-2012, 11:19 AM
My parents have one. I am not sure of any specifics, but they bought it to put old home videos onto DVDs. I will have to ask them of where they got it. I believe it was Costco, but I could be wrong. We were able to watch the original Star Wars VHS on it recently which was AWESOME.

happylabs
08-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Yes, VCR's are outdated. I didn't even know they still sold them.

Lady's Human
08-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Yes, VCR's are outdated. I didn't even know they still sold them.

Yes, VCRs are somewhat dated, however, there are a whole bunch of people (myself included) who don't feel like buying a ton of movies on DVD to replace the VCR collection, and in some cases those movies aren't available.

We have a sony DVD/VCR which has lasted for quite a while, however, it appears to be no longer made.

Alysser
08-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Okay, just asked my parents.

They've had a year already and they are happy with it. They bought it at Wal-mart for about $200-$250, I just don't know about the brand. They mostly brought it to transfer VHS to DVD and they saved so much money because of it. But we also have a lot of movies on VHS, and it is nice to have.

Walmart appears to have them:
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=VCR+DVD+combo&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

Freedom
08-08-2012, 05:05 PM
WOW thanks Alicia, that is even more than I expected, a link and everything~! Will be trying for one this weekend, as Massachusetts is having a sales tax holiday for Saturday and Sunday.

Karen
08-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Getting them transferred over to DVDs would be a good thing, too, as VCR tapes DO wear out over time, and DVD is a more stable medium!

Cataholic
08-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Getting them transferred over to DVDs would be a good thing, too, as VCR tapes DO wear out over time, and DVD is a more stable medium!

The cost involved in that would be horrendous. Freedom has 100s...best bet would be too find a cheap used VCR some place, and buy one DVD at a time, as they break. Though, in the 30 years I have had tapes? None have broken. LOL. Some of my favorite work out tapes are on VCR format...anyone remember the original Reebok Step? Gosh I love that thing!

Grace
08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
as Massachusetts is having a sales tax holiday for Saturday and Sunday.

I remember when Massachusetts did not have a sales tax. Going into Filene's Bargain Basement, purchasing an item for 99¢ - no tax :)

pomtzu
08-09-2012, 01:18 PM
I remember when Massachusetts did not have a sales tax. Going into Filene's Bargain Basement, purchasing an item for 99¢ - no tax :)

Really?? Even I don't remember that.

I love living in the tax free state of Delaware. On the rare occasions that I do travel out of state and happen to make a purchase - it really throws me off. :( The only sales tax we pay here is a one time tax on the purchase of a motor vehicle, and that is based on the price of it. We also have no luxury or personal property tax. :)

Grace
08-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Really?? Even I don't remember that.

I love living in the tax free state of Delaware. On the rare occasions that I do travel out of state and happen to make a purchase - it really throws me off. :( The only sales tax we pay here is a one time tax on the purchase of a motor vehicle, and that is based on the price of it. We also have no luxury or personal property tax. :)

Ah, but I am older than you, Ellie. I remember taking the train to Boston, probably with my mom, as I think I was in my early teens. Bought a crinoline petticoat - remember them? It was in the Bargain Basement, the price was 99¢ - got a penny back.

Douglas likes the no tax Delaware - maybe we should move there :)

Karen
08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
The cost involved in that would be horrendous. Freedom has 100s...best bet would be too find a cheap used VCR some place, and buy one DVD at a time, as they break. Though, in the 30 years I have had tapes? None have broken. LOL. Some of my favorite work out tapes are on VCR format...anyone remember the original Reebok Step? Gosh I love that thing!

With the player Alysser listed, she can do it herself, that's what her parents do!

pomtzu
08-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Ah, but I am older than you, Ellie. I remember taking the train to Boston, probably with my mom, as I think I was in my early teens. Bought a crinoline petticoat - remember them? It was in the Bargain Basement, the price was 99¢ - got a penny back.

Douglas likes the no tax Delaware - maybe we should move there :)

A few years older - not enough to even make a big difference at our age! :p

Oh yeah - I remember those itchy, scratchy petticoats very well. If one wasn't "poofy" enough - we would sometimes wear 2 or 3 at a time! That's one style I hope never comes back around.

I'd love to have you as a neighbor! Living is pretty darn cheap here too. And you'd be close to the ocean...:D

happylabs
08-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Yes, VCRs are somewhat dated, however, there are a whole bunch of people (myself included) who don't feel like buying a ton of movies on DVD to replace the VCR collection, and in some cases those movies aren't available.

We have a sony DVD/VCR which has lasted for quite a while, however, it appears to be no longer made.

:(

I have VCR tapes of my kids growing up. I no longer have a working VCR either. I would love to watch the movies of them when they were little again.

Cataholic
08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
With the player Alysser listed, she can do it herself, that's what her parents do!

With 100s of them? Not likely! LOL...she would be there for years.

Karen
08-09-2012, 03:36 PM
With 100s of them? Not likely! LOL...she would be there for years.

No, because you can set it to doing one, walk away, play with the fluffs, feed the cloudier, etc!

Freedom
08-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Grace, Ellie, you 2 crack me up when you get started on old RI tales! :D

I don't think I would copy ALL of them onto DVD, but yes I will copy some!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Where on earth do you take vcr tapes to get them copied to dvds? My vcr croaked and I'm like everyone else have tons of tapes I love but can no longer watch. :love:

pomtzu
08-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Grace, Ellie, you 2 crack me up when you get started on old RI tales! :D

Once a Rhode Islander - always a Rhode Islander! And we even consider imports from MA as "real" Rhode Islanders, too! :D

Alysser
08-09-2012, 06:50 PM
I am pretty sure my mom did it for at least 20 videos, and it was a very simple procedure. I don't know how to do it, personally, but I know it was better than spending a ton of money!;)

Freedom
08-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Where on earth do you take vcr tapes to get them copied to dvds? My vcr croaked and I'm like everyone else have tons of tapes I love but can no longer watch. :love:

Sent you a PM. The Walmart link from this thread on Page 1, the 3rd one down offers this feature. It costs $158. You can find places near you where you take in the VCR tapes and they will copy them to DVD for you. Around here, they are $20 per. :rolleyes: If I do 8, I break even! :p