PDA

View Full Version : We had a small earth quake in Denmark

Randi
08-06-2012, 12:32 PM
This morning about 5 o'clock we had an earth quake 4,4. I was fast asleep, so didn't notice it, but a Mexican woman did. She noticed the birds stopped singing about 15 min. before it happened. She had experienced eathquakes before and knew it was coming. Some people's beds were moving. I was 120 km away from it. It happened in the sea on the north coast (Kattegat)

Catty1
08-06-2012, 12:41 PM
I hope there are no others. Interesting about the birds stopping singing 15 minutes before it happened - and this was in your neighbourhood? Wow.

Freedom
08-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Glad you are OK, once I see it on the news tonight I'd have thought of you!

phesina
08-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Oh my God, Randi. I'm so glad you and Fister are okay. I hope there are no other casualties and that there are no more quakes or aftershocks.

That is interesting indeed about the birds stopping singing.

I never would have thought of Denmark as a place where an earthquake might happen. Have you ever had any before? Or can they really just happen anywhere?

Good wishes for safety for you all.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

pomtzu
08-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Glad you're okay. Hoping there was no damage.

I lived thru my first one last summer. Didn't know what the heck it was all about till it was over, since they are pretty rare on the east coast. The house actually rocked for about 20 seconds - I think it was a 5.6. Pretty mild really compared to ones the west coast gets, but scary none the less if you've never been thru one.

Pray for no aftershocks!!!

Randi
08-06-2012, 02:59 PM
It's really quite amazing i didn't feel anything, since I'm a ligh sleeper. I did have a wierd dream though... I was going up in an elevator, one other Ptalker and her friend was there, too and then suddenly I was sucked up into the universe and seeing lots of beautiful things. I can't remember what, but it was a very nice feeling.

A friend of mine in Copenhagen did feel the earth quake. :eek:

Here's what the news say:
"COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Danish geologists say a 4.4-magnitude quake has rattled the seabed between Denmark and Sweden, causing no damage or casualties.
Trine Dahl-Jensen of the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland (GEUS) said Monday's quake was "pretty strong" by Danish standards.
Dahl-Jensen says such quakes happen once or twice a decade.
The epicenter was 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) southeast of the Danish island of Anholt in the Kattegat Sea.
Media in Denmark and Sweden reported that residents in the two Scandinavian countries woke up when they felt the earth shake at 02:57."

I'm not surprized that birds, and possibly other animals were the first to react.

Edwina's Secretary
08-06-2012, 03:18 PM
In the seven (I think!) years we have lived in SoCal I have only felt one...maybe one and a half earthquakes. The one I felt I was reading in bed when it happened. By the time I realized what was happening - it was over. The biggest one since I have been here last Easter - I was outside trying to get Edwina and Eddie out from under a car where they were hiding. I wondered why the car was shaking. Then I heard the neighbor kids yelling "earthquake!!" Because I was outside there was not a sensation of movement.

There have been probably half a dozen small ones that I did not notice because I was in a car, on a roller coaster - or just didn't feel it!

Glad you are safe Randi!

Kirsten
08-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Wow! Glad nothing happened. And I think it's so amazing that the birds stopped singing! :eek:

We had a mild earthquake in the early nineties, also in the early morning hours. I didn't notice, but my sister did. She was awake when it happened, and she saw a shelf in her room trembling. She also noticed a strange glow in the sky...

carole
08-06-2012, 04:09 PM
I certainly hope there are no more Randi, we here in NZ very used to them, and they are not nice, scarey stuff, i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that all will be well, and you will not have any more.keep well and safe.

sana
08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I've heard and I believe that animals know the future. Alot about it, actually. They see, hear and know what we do not. The birds definitely sensed the earthquake before the humans. Glad to hear nothing was damaged! :love:

Edwina's Secretary
08-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Two earthquakes for SoCal today! One during the night (4.4) that I did not feel and another a little bit ago! I did notice this one.

Tis the season!

No damage.