PDA

View Full Version : Ukrainian, anyone?

Karen
08-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Anyone know someone who speaks Ukrainian? I got a lovely nomination for a pet from Ukraine, but need to respond to it. I tried responding in English and never heard back, so I figured if anyone knows someone who could translate my email for them, and then possibly their response if they respond, that would be great!

I would not want to rely on online translation tools, as often the words are technically correct, but the meaning gets garbled.

cassiesmom
08-05-2012, 09:55 PM
We found out about 5 years ago that we're Ukrainian on my dad's side. He doesn't know a lot about my grandfather's life before he came to the U.S. or exatly where in Russia he lived. We always thought he was from "white Russia". The Ukrainian National Museum is located in Chicago, Karen - someone there might be able to translate it for you. (e-mail: info(at)ukrainiannationalmuseum.org)

kuhio98
08-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Bobcat's first language is Ukranian but he hasn't spoken it since he was a child.
But, I will ask his older Canadian cousins to see if any of them can still read it. I'll PM you later.

Karen
08-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Bobcat's first language is Ukranian but he hasn't spoken it since he was a child.
But, I will ask his older Canadian cousins to see if any of them can still read it. I'll PM you later.

That would be great, thanks!

smokey the elder
08-07-2012, 09:18 AM
I used to work with Ukrainian speakers; I'm sure there are some at my current job. I'll hunt around.

Karen
08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
That would be great, thanks! I know plenty of Russians, a Hungarian cashier, and many other immigrants, but no Ukrainian!

Freedom
08-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Karen, did you try using Google Translate? My friend is a first grade teacher and loves it helps her deal with parents.

Kirsten
08-07-2012, 03:51 PM
I know a few people from Russia, but not from the Ukraine. Actually I thought they'd be speaking Russian in the Ukraine as well - after all, they were all part of the former Soviet Republic - but I guess I'm wrong and they do have their own language but according to wikipedia, it's not so different from Russian.

Karen
08-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Sandie - Google translate and online translators are not always as accurate as one would wish, as they work word for word, but sometimes lose the meaning in a sentence. To see what I mean, type in a sentence in English, have it translate to some other language, and translate it back to English and you'll see what I mean! Language is tricky! Thankfully the person wrote back to me in English, and apologized for the delay in her response, so we are all set anyway!

mrspunkysmom
08-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Anyone know someone who speaks Ukrainian? I got a lovely nomination for a pet from Ukraine, but need to respond to it. I tried responding in English and never heard back, so I figured if anyone knows someone who could translate my email for them, and then possibly their response if they respond, that would be great!

I would not want to rely on online translation tools, as often the words are technically correct, but the meaning gets garbled.

Yeah, I know. I have a friend in Germany that posts in what I guess is vernacular German on her FB page. I tried translating it once and got part of it, but it was not a good translation. I finally wrote her and asked her to translate. The computer translation missed a lot of the nuances.

Here's an old computer joke/story from the days when there were no monitors and the computer printed out the response. A computer was loaded with a Chinese/English translation program. To test the translation abilities, an idiomatic phrase was used: "Out of Sight, Out of Mind." The computer gave the Chinese translation. The Chinese translation was then entered back intp the computer and it spit out the reverse translation: "Invisible Idiot." :D

Enjoy!

cassiesmom
09-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Karen, is today's Cat of the Day the one you received in Ukrainian? What a gorgeous cat!

lizbud
09-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Here's an old computer joke/story from the days when there were no monitors and the computer printed out the response. A computer was loaded with a Chinese/English translation program. To test the translation abilities, an idiomatic phrase was used: "Out of Sight, Out of Mind." The computer gave the Chinese translation. The Chinese translation was then entered back intp the computer and it spit out the reverse translation: "Invisible Idiot." :D

Enjoy!

That's very funny.LOL :D