PDA

View Full Version : Identity theft

pomtzu
08-04-2012, 03:17 PM
I got a letter in the mail today from American Express, stating that my application for a JetBlue card was denied. WHAT????? I have never applied to American Express for anything. I called them to see if I could get any info on who would have submitted the application, but of course, they were of no help. They "flagged" my name with a fraud alert, and told me to call the 3 credit bureaus on Monday, and have them do the same. This is darn scary!!!! Does anyone know of anything else that I can do to bring this to a screeching halt? Should I change the passwords on my bank and credit card accounts???

Lady's Human
08-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Passwords should change, and besides notifying the credit reporting agencies, I would also notify any financial institution you deal with, and the postal inspectors.

Mail and wire fraud is their bailiwick.

pomtzu
08-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Passwords should change, and besides notifying the credit reporting agencies, I would also notify any financial institution you deal with, and the postal inspectors.

Mail and wire fraud is their bailiwick.

I'm trying to figure how this happened, and the only thing I can think of is that one of those junk mail offers folks always get for credit cards, got delivered to the wrong address, and someone sent it in, since I have gone paperless on all of my accounts. If this was a real fraud, they certainly wouldn't have sent in an application to steal my identity with MY address - they would have used my name and THEIR address. Make sense???

Anyway - I'm still treating it as the real thing and will notify the credit bureaus and change all of my passwords that have any link to money, my address, or anything else that can identify me. What a pain!!!!!

Karen
08-04-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm trying to figure how this happened, and the only thing I can think of is that one of those junk mail offers folks always get for credit cards, got delivered to the wrong address, and someone sent it in, since I have gone paperless on all of my accounts. If this was a real fraud, they certainly wouldn't have sent in an application to steal my identity with MY address - they would have used my name and THEIR address. Make sense???

Anyway - I'm still treating it as the real thing and will notify the credit bureaus and change all of my passwords that have any link to money, my address, or anything else that can identify me. What a pain!!!!!

Do also notify the Postal Inspectors - Lady's Human works for the Post Office, but even before that, we grew up with a guy in our church who was a Postal Inspector. He was the lay preacher one time when the regular pastor was on vacation, and showed up in a very nice suit! I commented, and he said, "Oh, yes, this is one of my 'go to court' suits. Whenever we catch a bad guy, I get to go testify to help put him or her away!" and appeared to really relish that part!

Freedom
08-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Ellie, I think you best phone your credit card company as well. For mine, I can have them run through the last 5 charges, do that and see if anything went through that shouldn't have.

Lady's Human
08-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Pom,

One of the ways this can happen involves a postal service employee being less than honest.

If it was a postal employee, the bastard needs to be off the workroom floor.

pomtzu
08-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Pom,

One of the ways this can happen involves a postal service employee being less than honest.

If it was a postal employee, the bastard needs to be off the workroom floor.

I don't know who it was, or if it was mailed in or submitted on line, but whatever - I AM NOT AMUSED!!!!! If it was a case of a wrong mail delivery and someone sent it in, they certainly weren't very bright - using my address rather than theirs. DUH :rolleyes: I'll stop by the post office next week and talk to the postmaster. It's a small branch and only has a few employees, and I really don't suspect one of them to do anything. Hmmmm - except maybe the little lazy redheaded biach that gives an attitude and doesn't like to have to actually look for a package if you don't have the notification slip. :eek:

I got all my passwords changed for everything that I had a password for. Boy - what a tedious job that was....................

Lady's Human
08-05-2012, 01:54 PM
I don't know who it was, or if it was mailed in or submitted on line, but whatever - I AM NOT AMUSED!!!!! If it was a case of a wrong mail delivery and someone sent it in, they certainly weren't very bright - using my address rather than theirs. DUH :rolleyes: I'll stop by the post office next week and talk to the postmaster. It's a small branch and only has a few employees, and I really don't suspect one of them to do anything. Hmmmm - except maybe the little lazy redheaded biach that gives an attitude and doesn't like to have to actually look for a package if you don't have the notification slip. :eek:

I got all my passwords changed for everything that I had a password for. Boy - what a tedious job that was....................

I wasn't referring to employees at your local branch, which is why I mentioned the inspection service as opposed to the postmaster.

Pinot's Mom
08-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Actually, one of the things it could be is something you threw away. Coop has always been adamant that we rip up the applications credit card companies send because all your information is on that and all you have to do is sign and send back. If they're clever, they can watch the mail and get the card when it's sent back.

catnapper
08-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I hope it is nothing but a bit of confusion. People need to be REAL careful these days. I was telling my husband tonight that a custoemr of mine asked me to run their credit through for them over the phone. they gave me their Social Security number, birthdate, address, income, etc. How do they know they can trust me?!?! How can I trust them? I had them come in today with ID to verify everything they told me, but still.....

I hate giving out ANY part of my Social. like when I'm at the doctor's office and they ask for the last 4 numbers. I use different passwords for different accounts. It gets confusing, but I'd rather be confused than scammed. Besides, I live in a constant stae of confusion :D

pomtzu
08-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Actually, one of the things it could be is something you threw away. Coop has always been adamant that we rip up the applications credit card companies send because all your information is on that and all you have to do is sign and send back. If they're clever, they can watch the mail and get the card when it's sent back.

Nothing just gets thrown away in this house. Anything with name and/or address goes thru the shredder or gets a big swipe of a black permanent marker. If it's still readable thru the marker like some are, then it goes to the shredder. I just hate this junk mail. Not only do you have to worry about info on the envelope, but they plaster your name/info on every darn page that's in the envelope. The same with sale magazines. I check everything before it gets trashed.

smokey the elder
08-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Wow, that is a hassle but it sounds like you caught it before it could cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars. I'm thinking of using a password keeper program, but so far I've been able to keep my passwords straight in my head!

Freedom
08-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Ellie, I mentioned this thread to a friend. She said most police depts now have someone who works on this sort of thing. A call to them may give you more ideas of what steps to take. Can't hurt!

pomtzu
08-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Ellie, I mentioned this thread to a friend. She said most police depts now have someone who works on this sort of thing. A call to them may give you more ideas of what steps to take. Can't hurt!

Thanks. That's a good idea - I'll check it out.

I notified the 3 credit reporting agencies this a.m. and I have a 90 day temporary fraud alert on my name. With this, I would be notified by any company that received a request for credit in my name, before anything is approved. Before the 90 days expires I can send in paperwork with all kinds of info (like photo i.d., etc), and the alert will be extended and in effect for 7 years. You'd better believe that I'll do that! I have better things to do with my time, than all of this preventative maintenance, changing all passwords, making phone calls - all to cover my backside from crooks!!! :mad:

sparks19
08-06-2012, 01:27 PM
We signed up with life Lock. Nothing gets approved without us getting a phone call about it. Cut down a lot on the "You've been pre approved" offers that come in the mail too. We mostly got it because of Hannah. children's SS# are notorious for getting stolen since they won't know anything of it until they are 18 and try to apply for anything and WHAM... terrible credit and tons of fraud.

pomtzu
08-06-2012, 02:22 PM
We signed up with life Lock. Nothing gets approved without us getting a phone call about it.

Putting the fraud alert on you name and SS# with the credit reporting bureaus does the same thing - and it doesn't cost anything! :D