PDA

View Full Version : Gold Medal Thursday #492..

RICHARD
08-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Even though it's hot and the middle of summer, I think some foucacia, pizza and a huge anitpasto salad is in order.

I want some pumpkin bread....why do I have these joneses during the time of year when it's crazy to even fire up the oven?;)

Lady's Human
08-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm boycotting this Thursday, we don't use Gold Medal, we use King Arthur unbleached.

Karen
08-02-2012, 06:11 PM
I bake in the mornings if I need to bake in the summertime, before the day has gotten too hot! That reminds me, gotta go bother my brother-in-law and get my baking pans back from the blueberry cake I brought to his birthday party last Saturday!

And canned pumpkin is on the shelves year 'round, Richard, just likely on a bottom shelf. But if you pass any local bake sales this time of year, I bet you can pick up zucchini bread at any of them!

RICHARD
08-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm boycotting this Thursday, we don't use Gold Medal, we use King Arthur unbleached.

Don't be so crusty, I knew that would get a rise from someone...please don't 'leaven' until you file a grievance with the FIB, Federacion Internacional du Baking?;)

Oh wait, gotta go with the London/Olympic theme...nevermind.

-----------

karen,

My g-ma was always cooking at daybreak during the summer.

The other jones I had was for corn muffins, I saw a PBS cooking program where the lady put a spoon of hot pepper jelly in the middle and served them with chili!

I say DONE!

Lady's Human
08-02-2012, 07:20 PM
It's the Federacion Internacional du boulanger, but I'll give you a pass on that. THey have rules against fortified ingredients, as well as fortified boulangers. THey don't test for opiates, however, as a baker who made poppy seed muffins would pop hot on the test, and good bakers ALWAYS sample the goods.

cassiesmom
08-02-2012, 09:48 PM
It's still warm out- could I have ginger ale, please?

mrspunkysmom
08-03-2012, 12:14 AM

Interesting. I read today that King Arthur Gluten Free Bread Mixes is one of the best around. I'm with LH here.

Some GF Bread, natural jellies and jams and some herbal tea.

Lady's Human
08-03-2012, 12:39 AM
I'll tell ya what, I'll even supply the jam, homemade from the kitchen.

cassiesmom
08-03-2012, 10:44 AM

My mom was asked to bring cookies to church for a Christmas event. My dad was trying to help her by making the dough. She had picked a recipe using cake flour. My dad used all-purpose flour and the cookies were very flat! After that failure we looked in Joy of Cooking and found the way to substitute all-purpose for cake flour in a pinch.

Pinot's Mom
08-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm bringing Chicken Parmesan Pizza - takers?:)

gini
08-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks, I'd love some pizza and some of those "flat" cookies and the jam............sorry I am in such
a rush - but I cannot tear myself away from the t.v. because of the Olympics. They are soooo good
this year.

I will be back later and contribute something yummy for everyone.

RICHARD
08-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks, I'd love some pizza and some of those "flat" cookies and the jam............sorry I am in such
a rush - but I cannot tear myself away from the t.v. because of the Olympics. They are soooo good
this year.

I will be back later and contribute something yummy for everyone.

The coverage for some of the events has been excellent.

I wish I could have seen more of the judo events.

------------------

I am giving Cassie's mom a Ginger Ale and pour drinks for the cookie brigade.

I had never heard of KA's flour before. I am a West Coast boy at the Square Table?:):o;)

Karen
08-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey, I just made a nice discovery (for me) at the grocery store. Cain's Mayonnaise, unlike most every commercial salad dressing out there, is made with one kind of oil, soybean oil, not an "And/or this and/or that" mystery blend. And it doesn't have garlic powder - this means it is Karen safe!

So anyone want some potato salad?

Pinot's Mom
08-07-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm a Hellman's mayo girl... ;)

I would like a salad, though, and there is still some pizza! :)

Karen
08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm a Hellman's mayo girl... ;)

I would like a salad, though, and there is still some pizza! :)

Just checked the ingredient list for Hellman's and it is now safe, too - it has lemon juice, but now I can have lemons and citrus, which was not true before!

pomtzu
08-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I must be a rare one that doesn't like mayo. It's to heavy, or oily, or eggy, or something - and doesn't sit well with me. I was brought up on Miracle Whip, so maybe that's another reason why I don't like mayo. I'm not very hungry, but would anyone care to join me for a tall, icy, raspberry green tea?

Karen
08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I must be a rare one that doesn't like mayo. It's to heavy, or oily, or eggy, or something - and doesn't sit well with me. I was brought up on Miracle Whip, so maybe that's another reason why I don't like mayo. I'm not very hungry, but would anyone care to join me for a tall, icy, raspberry green tea?

My brother-in-law was also brought up on Miracle Whip, so prefers that - but that has garlic powder in it, so is a no-go for me! I'll join you in that raspberry iced tea, though!

Lady's Human
08-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Garden go BOOM!

Beans, squash, cukes, 'maters are starting to turn orange ( and when you have 40 plants I'm not sure whether to be happy or scared), everything's coming up veggies!

Karen
08-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Wooo hoo! Enjoy! Isn't it typical, ya wait and wait for those tomatoes - and they all ripen at once!

RICHARD
08-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I took some green beans, corn, bellpeppers tomatoes and wrapped the in foil, tossed them on the grill.

When they were done, butter and lemon pepper.:)

----------------------

When I was growing up I remember eating Best Foods and on the label it said, "Known an Hellman's east of the Rockies".

Now, the name of 'hellman' was funny enough to a 10 year old in Catholic school, but why the name change 'east of the Rockies'?

As I grew older and I started to expand my idea of where EOTR was? I became more comfortable with the idea that the devil made mayo, the country was a big place and someday I'd have some Hellman's mayo?

-----------------------

Ah, Green tea, I have taken to brewing a jug and keeping it cold in the fridge. Raspberry green tea?

I am there......serving up pizza and all kinds of salads...

DONE!