PDA

View Full Version : World's Best Cat Litter....yuck...

NoahsMommy
11-19-2002, 07:45 PM
We just bought a large bag of this litter to try because the dust from the "Fresh Step" we normally use is terrible.

The World's Best works really well, except for the smell....yuck...it doesn't help the odor at all, in face it makes it worse.

Has anyone else tried this litter?

neko1
11-19-2002, 07:53 PM
We use scoop away multi cat formula. It worked pretty good until some idiot decided to change the formula and now the dust is horrible! It also has a perfume smell which I know cats hate..I'm just glad they are still going in the box! When I just had Neko, we tried changing his brand of litter and he retaliated by pissing on my carpet and as soon as we changed it back, he started using the box again. That's why I hate when litter box companies try to change their formulas! I don't want my cat peeing on the floor just because they want to make a new fresh scent!

NoahsMommy
11-19-2002, 07:58 PM
This one doesn't have any smell...I miss at least a tiny amount of fresh smell.

Our den, where the litter boxes are, smells terrible....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fuzzy317
11-19-2002, 08:00 PM
We are using Tidy Cats Scooping litter. We haven't tried "Fresh Step"or "World's Best Cat Litter". The cats have their own room with food, water, and litter boxes, so we don't notice any dust.

I am responsible for cleaning the boxes, and I don't notice any dust even though I wear contacts. :eek: We are happy with Tidy Cats, and our cats seem to like it.

Nomilynn
11-19-2002, 08:30 PM
My mom used Tidy Cat too, and it's pretty good. It clumps really hard which is nice. I use Purina Maxx Scoop (which I have never seen in the states, but I can't get Tidy cat either :p) which also works very well.

sasvermont
11-19-2002, 08:46 PM
I use all different types, but in different boxes. I like it because it is light, light, light and easy to scoop. It is all natural. I will have to admit it takes some getting used to the smell. Its not awful, its just icky, not pleasant. My cats prefer the standard food store brand, but I make them use whatever kind I have at the time. They prefer the cheap stuff, dusty stuff. Oh well.

I also have lids on most of the cat boxes which keeps the odor confined a bit. I do the "kitty litter patrol" thing once a day. I have a couple of boxes on the outside porch, so that eases the nasty odors somewhat in the winter.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give the World's Best about a 7.

I don't use the litter - so maybe you should be asking my cats!;)

rosethecopycat
11-19-2002, 09:44 PM
Only bad experience I had was with Feline Pine.
It's a tubular kernel thing instead of grains of litter. Well, Snowy used it for a while, when he was tiny, and he being the very first cat I ever had to buy litter for, I thought we were fine. Then, he thought the futon was a better place to do his pee pee. So I changed off the feline Pine and virually had to re-train Snowy. He's still SO worth it.

shais_mom
11-20-2002, 01:20 AM
I used it but it is so expensive.
I was in need of litter and had to run to the local store and bought Cat's pride and it concealed the odor better than the expensive stuff so I have been using various formulas of TIDY CAT ever since. I won't buy the 40# bags again tho!
That is what I have now, and I can't pick the darn thing up when I first open it to put it in the box without it ending up all over the floor!!

AmberLee
11-20-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
... and I can't pick the darn thing up when I first open it to put it in the box without it ending up all over the floor!!

Hee, hee, hee. I can soooo agree with your statement here.

"We" use Premium Choice mainly because the cats love it, and it's much cheaper in the 50# sacks ... but I can't manage them. So I lug one in willy-nilly and transfer it to the smaller 12# and 16# plastic jugs that I bought before I did price checking comparisons. I do get a lot of attention from the cats when I'm emptying the big bag into the jugs :rolleyes: but as long as I keep an eye on them it doesn't get too messy and I have a goodly supply for not much cost. Eventually I empty all my small jugs and lug in another big bag and start the whole thing over again.

11-20-2002, 03:05 AM
We use COMPACT from VITACRAFT . I do not know if this exists in the USA ? It is like sand , and it clumbs . Very easy to scoop out all the stinky "business" . Because of this it also lasts longer ; so the fact that it's rather expensive is okay to me !!

trinity
11-20-2002, 07:21 AM
When we were at our max (5 cats) we had been using Tidy Cat multi cat...when we dropped down to 3 we figured we would just stay with that but it seemed like they changed it.:mad: "cause all of a sudden it was more dusty and didn't do as good a job or last as long. We've been using Johnny Cat and it works wonderfully. The only time there is any smell is right after someone is in there but it goes away real fast...which is a good thing considering there are 4 litter boxes in the house:rolleyes:

smokey the elder
11-20-2002, 08:15 AM
I use Petsmart's store brand clumping litter or the BJ's store brand. Both are very good, hard clumps, and the cats tolerate it ok. And for clumping litter they are relatively cheap.

AdoreMyDogs
11-20-2002, 08:51 AM
I use 3/4 of the Worlds Best and 1/4 Feline Pine. I love them because they are flushable, and I just scoop and flush in our basement bathroom. It's all natural and it's better for the environment. I have not noticed any pee smell whatsoever, not even when I have my head right up to the enterance of the hooded kitty box (even when there is a fresh pee pee in it, before I scoop). I can smell Min's poo's, but he simply does not cover them, regardless of the type of litter I use. He digs a hole and then drops the turds, and then walks out :o :eek: :rolleyes: . So I do smell his ripe stinkies, but I think that I'll smell them regardless of the litter, since he rarely coveres them up. Silly boy :)

I do really like the litters, though, and I like that it's so easy to scoop, flushable, environmentally friendly, safe, and dust free.

ramanth
11-20-2002, 09:00 AM
I'm enjoying this thread. :) At the moment I'm just using an off brand because I needed something fast and inexpensive when I caught Eli.

It's terribly dusty, which I can tell because Zam likes to jump in the tub and I'll find footprints in the tub, along the edge of the tub and all over the tile floor. :eek: :o :rolleyes:

Once I'm done with this bag, I'd like to try something new. My parents use offbrands but don't have problems with dust. Go figure.

:D

2kitties
11-20-2002, 09:19 AM
I use the multi cat clumping formula by Tidy Cats. We have good luck with it. Basically, I like anythign that clumps because the urine will smell so bad if left at the bottom of the box.

The best thing we ever did, though, was install a pet door. We put the litter boxes in a closet in the basement, then installed a pet door. The cats love it- they play with the pet door for hours. They figured it out immediately and have no problems with it. Now, there is no smell in the house or the basement, and the mess is kept hidden. Plus, I think the boys like their privacy.

shais_mom
11-20-2002, 11:28 AM
Leslie, Kylie does the same thing!!!
She rarely covers her poo! Last night I was going nuts with that "smell" thinking it was one of the girls farting but I scooped the box and it helped tremendously!
whew!!
I think Kylie is getting a new cat box for Christmas.
I also installed a "pet door" My dad built me a closet last winter and I had them cut out an arc so that I could put the litter box in my closet. It works great!! Except for if she gets stinky and I have to febreze my clothes just in case!!!

All Creatures Great And Small
11-20-2002, 11:46 AM
He digs a hole and then drops the turds, and then walks out .

Yep, my kitty is a "stealth bomber" too - he's really litterbox impaired! He digs and digs and digs, and then doesn't turn around and put his butt over the hole - just stays exactly where he was, facing the hole, and drops 'em right next to the edge of the box (inside it) :rolleyes: . Then he turns around, sniffs, and does some really lame swipes next to the turds. I had to go to a farm supply store and get a big feeding trough-type tub, so he'd have room to drop 'em wherever they land:p . His box is downstairs in the utility (laundry) room, so we don't have any stink problems upstairs, but once in a while I'll go in there and PHEW! Fresh ones! I would LOVE to modify a closet in the house or something, but my husband has a fit if I want to change anything in this house. IF we ever get a next house, it's all about me and my cat, baby - the cat will probably have it's own room:D :p :D ;)

Oh yeah, we were using Scoop Away, but then I changed to Tidy Cat multi-cat, because the Scoop Away was too dusty. So far I really like the Tidy Cat - good hard clumps and nowhere near as much dust as the Scoop Away. I do have a hard time managing the gargantuan 40 lb. plastic tubs though - next house will have a delivery chute to the basement, so I can just pour the litter directly from the garage into the giant litter holding tank in the house :p :p Maybe somebody should start a home-litter-delivery service! :D

Freckles
11-20-2002, 12:19 PM
Freckles uses World's best and seems to like it. Recently the litter seemed smellier than usual, before and after use. I recalled reading somewhere (probably a litter box maker) that litter boxes should be replaced yearly. Freckles box was about 5 -6 years old, so I bought a new one. That made the difference and it's back to it's normal good smell.

NoahsMommy
11-20-2002, 03:21 PM
We have new litterboxes, so it isn't the box. And acutally, the cats haven't been covering up their poop...wierd. I guess they may not like it either.

I'll be changing it tonight to something else. I'll try that one for multi-cat houses....Tidy Cat, right?

My concern is the dust...

Fuzzy317
11-20-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
My concern is the dust...

We use Tidy Cat Multi-Cat Scoopable. I have duties on cleaning the boxes and I don't notice any dust. Wearing contacts you would think I would notice, but I don't. :confused:

NoahsMommy
11-20-2002, 07:02 PM
Great! We'll try that one. Thank you!! :)

Cataholic
11-20-2002, 10:28 PM
I have six cats, four boxes, all in the basement, with a cat door leading downstairs. I have 'some' odor issues, but it seems to be related to switching out the nasties, and refilling the box. I use what ever is on sale, always scoopable. The dust doesn't seem to be too much of an issue, though years ago, I thought it was more dusty...:confused: :confused:

kimlovescats
11-21-2002, 12:21 AM
I'd almost be willing to pay someone to come scoop and change my litter boxes!!! I have 12 cats using boxes ... no more explanation needed!!!!:eek:

shais_mom
11-27-2002, 01:16 AM
*SIGH* I hope this works
After much ado with my NEW digi camera and alot of help from zippycat - this is Kylie's kitty door.
My dad just put the cover on it.

I hope, I hope.
Paws and fingers crossed.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p59c73b5f3f9cc959f60998598b610178/fd004318.jpg

The Cat Factory
11-27-2002, 02:23 AM
I was using this Pete Moss cat litter and it worked realllllly well, but it was so messy! Another one that works really good are the crystals :)

Fuzzy317
11-27-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
I'd almost be willing to pay someone to come scoop and change my litter boxes!!! I have 12 cats using boxes ... no more explanation needed!!!!:eek:

That would be a long commute for me. :D

How big are your boxes? if you have the room, you could make ones larger to cut down on numbers of boxes, or buy sand boxes?