PDA

View Full Version : Olympics Poll

Karen
07-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Are you planning on watching any of the Olympics coverage? What events are you most looking forward to? Will you want the Opening Ceremony? What are you favorite events, and which ones will you likely skip?

Too complex for an actual poll, so just go ahead and post the answers to all that, but I'll make a poll for the "gonna watch" part!

I love the gymnastics most of all, wouldn't miss that, and will watch some of the swimming and track and field. You?

Taz_Zoee
07-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Since most of my regular shows will not be airing during the Olympics......then I might as well watch!
No, I plan on watching the gymnastics and maybe some swimming and diving. And if there is nothing else on other channels to watch, then I'll probably watch what ever is on at the time. :)
But my all time favorite is gymnastics. I've loved watching it since I was a little girl. I still love Mary Lou Retton! :D That smile lights up the room!

RICHARD
07-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Track cycling, rowing, canoeing, soccer, shooting, archery, team handball, volleyball, wrassling, fencing.

-------------

Baseball/softball was tossed out from the games.

Why is jumping on a trampoline and BMX bike riding in the mix?:rolleyes:

Freckles
07-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Soccer/Football games have already started but that/s not my favorite sport. Don't know if anything will be shown live but I'll watch as much as I can. Especially Artistic Gymnastics, Track & Field, Equestrian and Fencing. A Portland Fencer Mariel Zagunis will be carrying the flag at the Opening Ceremonies.
Last Sunday Oprah had a terrific show with previous American Olympic winners.

Grace
07-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Track & Field, Gymnastics, Basketball, Sailing, Diving - love the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Remember the Marathon in Rome, 1960 - Abebe Bikila running barefoot?

Winter Olympics are really my favorites - fewer events, but love all the skiing and hockey. Lillehammer in 1994 was the very best of all the ones I've seen - and my first was 1956 in Melbourne, Australia :)

Does anyone else remember Franz Klammer, Innsbruck 1976 - or Lake Placid 1980, Miracle on Ice?

cassiesmom
07-26-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm hoping to catch some events via the Internet that aren't usually on TV like the canoeing or sailing. I would love to see the Olympic tennis being played at Wimbledon. I'm rooting for Andy Murray since he didn't win a few weeks ago, and I'm also rooting for the Bryan brothers in doubles. If I c ould go to any one event it would be tennis.

Grace, I was in the 9th grade in 1980 and I remember that game very well! I was also thinking about the Canadian skier who won the first gold medal for Canada at the Vancouver Olympics. And the US-Canada hockey game that was like an NHL All-Star game- watching it with a bunch of friends and yelling for the Hawks players who were playing for Canada- oops! They were wearing red and white, which are also the Hawks colors. We ended up cheering for everything because it was so much fun to watch.

Alysser
07-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Probably watch it when it's convienent. I don't even turn on my TV much as it is. I am more of a winter sports person anyhow :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-27-2012, 04:23 AM
We will watch as much as possible

pomtzu
07-27-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm more of a winter Olympics fan too, but will probably watch the opening and closing event, and some of the swimming, diving and gymnastics if the time is convenient.

Bonny
07-27-2012, 07:51 AM
My favorites are the horses dressage, cross country, & then the stadium jumping & the girls gymnastics.

Killearn Kitties
07-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Does anyone else remember Franz Klammer, Innsbruck 1976 ...

An all time classic! They still show that run from time to time. :D

sparks19
07-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Definitely will be watching.

We love the swimming, gymnastics, track and field, diving. probably a bunch of others :D

Kirsten
07-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Wanted to watch the opening ceremony tonight but now I probably won't because I heard they've got farm animals involved which may be slaughtered after the ceremony. Signed a petition against it earlier today.
But I will probably watch some of the sport events, not sure which ones.

BTW, does anyone still remember our Kitty Olympics thread from 2004? Lily and Luna teamed up with Barbara's Tigris and Filou. We had so much fun those days! :)

Randi
07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I probably won't be watching much of it, I'll be cat-sitting. I'm not that much into sport anyway.

momcat
07-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm very much looking forward to equestrian show jumping and dressage. Soncat has 40+ ribbons in jumping and I was learning dressage - my absolute favorite is the kur (dressage to music). Also love gymnastics, swimming, and track & field.

Even though I'm a gazillion percent behind Team USA, I wish good luck to all of the athletes in their competitions.

Kirsten
07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
My biggest wish for the Olympics is that everyone will be safe! There was a lot on Munich '72 on German tv lately, and I hope something like that will never happen again!

RICHARD
07-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Track & Field, Gymnastics, Basketball, Sailing, Diving - love the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Remember the Marathon in Rome, 1960 - Abebe Bikila running barefoot?

Winter Olympics are really my favorites - fewer events, but love all the skiing and hockey. Lillehammer in 1994 was the very best of all the ones I've seen - and my first was 1956 in Melbourne, Australia :)

Does anyone else remember Franz Klammer, Innsbruck 1976 - or Lake Placid 1980, Miracle on Ice?

Bill Johnson, So Cal boy wins a medal.

I remember the Mex City protest, the 72 games and the end of the basketball game.

The first woman's marathon, Mary Slaney and Zola Budd! Dan and Dave? The premier of short track skating.

The Nagano games and the U.S. hockey team tearing up the rooms, The premature celebration at the end of the snowboarding race.

I saw the SLC Flame when it came thru El Lay, and the Atlanta and L.A. torch runs too.

I love the Olympics and think that they should ban all corporate BS and make the games true amateur comps like before....

EDDIE THE EAGLE! Katarina Witt.

david p
07-27-2012, 02:23 PM
I'll be watching (and taping) the opening and closing ceremonies, and I'll be watching both the men's and women's gymnastics, and a lot of the track and field competitions. The rest get a little boring!

phesina
07-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Wanted to watch the opening ceremony tonight but now I probably won't because I heard they've got farm animals involved which may be slaughtered after the ceremony. Signed a petition against it earlier today.
But I will probably watch some of the sport events, not sure which ones.

BTW, does anyone still remember our Kitty Olympics thread from 2004? Lily and Luna teamed up with Barbara's Tigris and Filou. We had so much fun those days! :)

Is this the thread you're talking about, Kirsten? - http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?55679-Lily-is-ready-for-the-Olympics!!-Who-wants-to-join-her&highlight=2004+olympics

Looks like fun, right from the start!

Kirsten
07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Is this the thread you're talking about, Kirsten? - http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?55679-Lily-is-ready-for-the-Olympics!!-Who-wants-to-join-her&highlight=2004+olympics

Looks like fun, right from the start!

Yes, it's that thread. :) (I didn't even remember that it was me who started it :o).
It's been a lot of fun; unfortunately, most of the pictures in it are no longer online...

Thanks you for searching for it! :)

Grace
07-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Watching the Opening Ceremonies, live, right now. The BBC is doing a livestream, and I hooked into it. The Parade of Athletes is going on - Ireland just came in, followed by Israel :)

Kirsten
07-27-2012, 05:22 PM
I was also watching (the best news for me was when they said in the beginning that the animals are not going to be slaughtered). I think it was such a beautiful ceremony; like a fairytale, and a little Tolkienesque in the beginning... Would love to watch until the end of the show to see who's carrying the fire, but it's past midnight here, and I'm really tired...

Grace
07-27-2012, 05:54 PM
USA just marched in - easy to pick out the basketball players - Kobe and LeBron and the others - so tall.

Karen
07-27-2012, 06:32 PM
It's so fun to see the athletes all together, and it just makes you realize just how tall the basketball players are, and how tiny the gymnasts are, as we are used just seeing them with other athletes in their own sports, and there's no way a 4' 10" person could be on a basketball team, or a 6'10" on a gymnastics team - they'd have to build bigger equipment and longer matts! :)

Grace
07-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Lighting the flame - never would have guessed the way they did it. Really cool :)

wolf_Q
07-27-2012, 07:18 PM
I voted nah, why bother but I really would just vote no....I'd probably watch some of it but I don't have TV.

Kirsten
07-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Lighting the flame - never would have guessed the way they did it. Really cool :)

I missed that; hope I'll be able to see some reruns of it somewhere... I gave up at 1 a.m., that was after all the athletes had walked it; I was really tired.

moosmom
07-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Rowing, rowing and more rowing!!!!

My brother, a crew (formal name for rowing) coach for over 35 years, coached one guy that's on the U.S. team's 8 man shell.

Kirsten
07-28-2012, 08:56 AM
My brother, a crew (formal name for rowing) coach for over 35 years, coached one guy that's on the U.S. team's 8 man shell.

Oh, how cool is that?! :)

I was watching the rowing competition this morning and was very pleased with the German results. :)

Karen
07-28-2012, 12:18 PM
I missed that; hope I'll be able to see some reruns of it somewhere... I gave up at 1 a.m., that was after all the athletes had walked it; I was really tired.

I am sure it will be replayed many, many, many times! Check YouTube!

momoffuzzyfaces
07-28-2012, 12:37 PM
I only saw bits of it. I did see the flame being lit and the US team coming in. I sure dislike those outfits. You'd think our colors were white and blue instead of red, white and blue. Hardly any red on them at all. :(

phesina
07-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Were those US uniforms still the ones that were made in China, or did they get new made-in-USA ones in time for this?

Grace
07-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Were those US uniforms still the ones that were made in China, or did they get new made-in-USA ones in time for this?

They were the originals - there wasn't time to re-do them. For the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia, it has been promised the uniforms will be made here.

Kirsten
07-28-2012, 01:30 PM
I disliked the outfits of the German team also. Pink for the ladies and light blue for the men... They looked like Barbie and Ken, yuck!

phesina
07-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Were the German uniforms made in Germany?

sparks19
07-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Love the olympics. Gymnastics, swimming, diving, track, etc etc. incredible.

My chosen one this year is Ryan Lochte for the swimming.

But really just the incredible display of athletisism is enough for me. I love to watch almost all of it.

Not fond of the basketball though

Kirsten
07-29-2012, 03:01 AM
Were the German uniforms made in Germany?

I have no idea to be honest... All I know is that they were made by Bogner.

This is what they are looking like:
http://www.welt.de/sport/olympia/article108403136/Deutschland-in-Schweinchenrosa-und-Buebchenblau.html
The article, btw, is mocking the "kindergarten" look...

My chosen one this year is Ryan Lochte for the swimming.

That sounds promising! I saw him winning his first gold medal yesterday!

The German swimmers, however, were just disappointing.

phesina
07-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Oh, I don't like those German uniforms either... not only do they look like Ken and Barbie, the colors clash totally with those of the German flag!

Kirsten
07-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Oh, I don't like those German uniforms either... not only do they look like Ken and Barbie, the colors clash totally with those of the German flag!

Exactly! I really don't know why they haven't chosen something in the colors of our flag; that would have looked much nicer. These uniforms look ridiculous; one article referred to them as "piggy pink" and "baby blue", which is so true! lol

phesina
07-29-2012, 06:22 AM
I was looking at the page you referred us to with the picture, at the responses following the article. I wish I understood German, because I'd love to see what kind of comments those outfits were getting!

Kirsten
07-29-2012, 06:30 AM
I was looking at the page you referred us to with the picture, at the responses following the article. I wish I understood German, because I'd love to see what kind of comments those outfits were getting!

Some say they hate them, but others claimed to actually like them because they are "different". Well, different is what they are - indeed! lol

pomtzu
07-29-2012, 06:40 AM
What's with Sweden wearing those ugly prison stripe polo shirts???? Looks like not much thought went into that design!

Kirsten
07-29-2012, 06:47 AM
What's with Sweden wearing those ugly prison stripe polo shirts???? Looks like not much thought went into that design!

Haha, yes, those were even worse! :D

Asiel
07-29-2012, 09:02 AM
I keep my eye on the Olympics if nothing else is taking up my time. But I do want to watch the equestrian part of it, wouldn't miss that for anything, especially the dressage.

RICHARD
07-29-2012, 11:18 AM

The Chinese wore uniforms made in Southern California.

Ed Hardy designs.;)

Karen
07-30-2012, 06:46 PM
I find myself hitting the "off" button on the radio whenever the car radio turns to mention of sports, because I want to see it unfold as I play whatever I have DVR'd! But we have a local girl (Ally Raisman) on the gymnastics team, so I have to be really quick on the button!

thbaker41
07-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Like to watch vollyball not beach though and skeet shooting archery ,boxing alot of sports I like to watch anything but soccer and speed walking how can that even be a sport?

happylabs
07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
I wasn't really planning on watching much but the men's diving caught my eye this evening. Wow...they wear skimpy suits. ;)

Karen
07-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh, anyone who is watching women's gymnastics, look for Ally Raisman's earrings! They were made specially for her by a local jeweler, sapphires, rubies and diamonds so they are patriotic as well as pretty, and they have promised all the girl a pair if they win the team gold! Nice, huh?

caseysmom
07-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Happylabs, my daughter is a diver and in high school I think the boys would compete over who showed the most crack...can I say that here :D

cassiesmom
07-31-2012, 12:46 AM
Woohoo! Swimmer Matt Grevers from Lake Forest won a gold medal in the 100 meter backstroke! A Chicago-area guy! :)

Killearn Kitties
07-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Oh, anyone who is watching women's gymnastics, look for Ally Raisman's earrings! They were made specially for her by a local jeweler, sapphires, rubies and diamonds so they are patriotic as well as pretty, and they have promised all the girl a pair if they win the team gold! Nice, huh?

Presumably that was what spurred them on to that fabulous performance tonight then? :D
Amazing performance.

Grace
07-31-2012, 06:11 PM

Spotted them today while watching on the computer. Hopefully will get a better look this evening. From what I saw, they are gorgeous :)

RICHARD
07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
There was a woman rower from Newton Mass.

The KY contingent hasn't really been mentioned.

Grace
07-31-2012, 06:46 PM
There was a woman rower from Newton Mass.

The KY contingent hasn't really been mentioned.

Clark Burckle, from Louisville, is on the Men's Swim Team.

Anthony Davis, who played for the Kentucky Wildcats last year, is on the Men's Basketball Team.

cassiesmom
08-01-2012, 12:08 AM

I saw her pretty earrings and I was surprised how many of the women swimmers were wearing earrings too.

Another gold medal for the Chicago area, Conor Dwyer from Winnetka was one of the four swimmers on the 800m relay team that won a gold medal!

I loved the nighttime shots of London that NBC was showing. Wow!

Kirsten
08-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Awww, gold medal for Germany in the rowing competition, men's eight... :)

Karen, I think it's so cool that there's someone from your area. :) Unfortunately, I missed the gymnastics; would have loved to see her earrings. :)

RICHARD
08-02-2012, 12:01 PM
About the coverage?

There are some sports that I really could care less about.

I am glad that they are tape delaying the events. That way I can watch something else during the prime time show.

------------

So far I am glad that some of the 'smaller' sports are getting time.

Volleyball, rowing, canoeing and fencing, archery, shooting and handball.

Karen
08-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Awww, gold medal for Germany in the rowing competition, men's eight... :)

Karen, I think it's so cool that there's someone from your area. :) Unfortunately, I missed the gymnastics; would have loved to see her earrings. :)

Here's an article that shows the earrings - dark picture, but you get the idea!
http://bostonherald.com/blogs/entertainment/stylize/2012/07/30/aly-raisman-wears-newton-designers-earrings-at-olympics/

Kirsten
08-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Here's an article that shows the earrings - dark picture, but you get the idea!
http://bostonherald.com/blogs/entertainment/stylize/2012/07/30/aly-raisman-wears-newton-designers-earrings-at-olympics/

So cool, I just her in the finals, and I was thinking "hey, that's the girl with the earrings Karen mentioned"... :) Tried to catch a glimpse of them but couldn't see much on tv. But now I see them in the article you linked to. :) Very pretty and patriotic!

mrspunkysmom
08-02-2012, 06:49 PM
I didn't think I would but I've been watching the Olympics non-stop, except for sleep. It's been quite interesting. I also like the interest stories.

mrspunkysmom
08-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Statistics for the Olympics Medal Count (http://www.london2012.com/medals/)

cassiesmom
08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I heard on the news today something I didn't know about fencing- it is a very old sport and has been in every occurrence of the modern Olympics. I got into curling two years ago, and the fencing interests me because it seems to need skill and careful strategy to score points. After watching the swimming and diving I want to learn how to dive smoothly into a swimming pool instead of always going to the ladder.

mrspunkysmom
08-03-2012, 12:08 AM
I heard on the news today something I didn't know about fencing- it is a very old sport and has been in every occurrence of the modern Olympics. I got into curling two years ago, and the fencing interests me because it seems to need skill and careful strategy to score points. After watching the swimming and diving I want to learn how to dive smoothly into a swimming pool instead of always going to the ladder.

Fencing is very interesting. I like watching two skilled athletes fence.

As far as diving goes, I prefer the ladder. Too many flops for me. And wear a one piece if you are diving. :D

Kirsten
08-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Oh, this is so embarrassing: :(
http://news-ro.com/scandal-in-the-german-team-drygalla-rower-leaves-olympic-village/

Hope the rest of the world won't think that we Germans never change... :o

mrspunkysmom
08-03-2012, 07:01 AM
http://news-ro.com/scandal-in-the-german-team-drygalla-rower-leaves-olympic-village/

Nope, you are not alone. we have neo-nazis and the like here in America.

Can you further explain the details in the article? The English appears off and I'm not familiar with the terms used.

Thanks

Kirsten
08-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Nope, you are not alone. we have neo-nazis and the like here in America.

Can you further explain the details in the article? The English appears off and I'm not familiar with the terms used.

Thanks

I know, they're in many countries; maybe we Germans are especially touchy when it comes to this due to our history. We're still bearing this "collective guilt" with us, and probably will for a long time. :o I hate that this thing has happened, and that she was allowed to attend the Olympics, even though it it said her team didn't get these information on her private life before yesterday.

Here's another article, maybe this one explains it better.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-rower-drygalla-leaves-olympics-due-to-suspected-neo-nazi-ties-a-848042.html

mrspunkysmom
08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I know, they're in many countries; maybe we Germans are especially touchy when it comes to this due to our history. We're still bearing this "collective guilt" with us, and probably will for a long time. :o I hate that this thing has happened, and that she was allowed to attend the Olympics, even though it it said her team didn't get these information on her private life before yesterday.

Here's another article, maybe this one explains it better.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-rower-drygalla-leaves-olympics-due-to-suspected-neo-nazi-ties-a-848042.html

Yes it does. I had the feeling reading the first link that the person or machine that translated only had a basic understanding of English grammar, which was why is sounded odd.

At least your country has a collective guilt over the Nazi era. I'm not sure our country as a whole has any guilt or shame (a better word?) over the treatment of the Indians, the Japanese, or the Africans held in slavery. Did I leave any group out? I think a little bit of shame wouldn't hurt.

Wasn't a South African at the beginning sent home for racist comments?

Kirsten
08-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Yes it does. I had the feeling reading the first link that the person or machine that translated only had a basic understanding of English grammar, which was why is sounded odd.

Well, yes, that could be. It was the first English article that I could find this morning, that's why I posted it; meanwhile, there are many more.

At least your country has a collective guilt over the Nazi era. I'm not sure our country as a whole has any guilt or shame (a better word?) over the treatment of the Indians, the Japanese, or the Africans held in slavery. Did I leave any group out? I think a little bit of shame wouldn't hurt.

Hmmm, yes, good point. I guess many countries have things in their history they cannot be proud of. The nazi crimes, however, were so extremely evil and so well-planned and organized that it's a unique thing in history - and hopefully always will be. :(

Wasn't a South African at the beginning sent home for racist comments?

I don't know, I only heard of a Swiss and a Greek athlete being excluded for racist comments.

Karen
08-03-2012, 12:35 PM

Of course it does! As an American child we learned of those things in school. If there was no shame or guilt felt, we would not have been taught about it, would we?

But we are also taught to learn from our history and strive not to repeat it. One cannot change the past, but one can make the future different.

Kirsten
08-03-2012, 12:45 PM
But we are also taught to learn from our history and strive not to repeat it. One cannot change the past, but one can make the future different.

That is true!

RICHARD
08-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Don't feel too badly about that.

We have a nitwit runner name lolo jones who tweeted that the americans should do well in the shooting sports.

This not long after the shootings in Colorado.

Bad taste? Surely, but she has a right to try and be funny. I hope her payback is a miserable showing in thegames.

Moron.

Freedom
08-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Of course it does! As an American child we learned of those things in school. If there was no shame or guilt felt, we would not have been taught about it, would we?

Not the way I / we were taught, Karen. We were taught the Indians were savages who needed to be conquered and civilized. I can still remember taking a class in COLLEGE and learning a different perspective on this. What a wake up call!

Karen
08-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Not the way I / we were taught, Karen. We were taught the Indians were savages who needed to be conquered and civilized. I can still remember taking a class in COLLEGE and learning a different perspective on this. What a wake up call!

Did you go to public school or parochial? Just curious!

Freedom
08-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Public school grades 1 - 8, then parochial for high school.

Karen
08-03-2012, 10:33 PM
You are somewhat older than me, but maybe the parochial schools - never swift to change curriculum or anything else - were still teaching outdated social studies/history texts in your high school!

cassiesmom
08-04-2012, 12:14 AM
I saw a very brief clip of Russian gymnast Larisa Latynina on the balance beam followed by a clip of Gabby Douglas. The reporter talked about how women's gymnastics has changed in the years between them. I also heard on the news that Larisa Latynina was at the swimming event where Michael Phelps won his 19th medal, breaking her record and how happy she was for him. I wonder if the girls on the current gymnastics team will be back 4 years from now. I hope Phelps is still around 4 years from now!

Grace
08-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I saw a very brief clip of Russian gymnast Larisa Latynina on the balance beam followed by a clip of Gabby Douglas. The reporter talked about how women's gymnastics has changed in the years between them. I also heard on the news that Larisa Latynina was at the swimming event where Michael Phelps won his 19th medal, breaking her record and how happy she was for him. I wonder if the girls on the current gymnastics team will be back 4 years from now. I hope Phelps is still around 4 years from now!

Article from the NY Times about Larisa Latynina - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/sports/olympics/gymnast-larisa-latynina-is-elegant-reminder-of-olympics-history.html?pagewanted=all

Interesting bit I read in another article - in 1958 when she competed in the World Championships, she was 4 months pregnant. She didn't tell anyone because they would have taken her off the team - and she won 5 of the 6 events she entered!!

cassiesmom
08-04-2012, 04:44 PM
I wonder why cricket is not an Olympic sport. It's more popular in other parts of the world than it is here. As far as venues go, could they use the same field for cricket and soccer games? I also wonder why lacrosse is not in the Olympics. Seems like every high school around here that has a field hockey team also has a lacrosse club. I miss women's softball but I don't miss baseball.

carole
08-05-2012, 05:45 AM
I am a bit ashamed to say i have not watched the olympics this year usually they are on a channel which screens my favourite programmes, so i end up watching them and enjoying them, but this year they have put them on a different channel, still i am pleased that us kiwis are doing rather well in the rowing especially, congrats to all who have done so well.

Grace
08-05-2012, 08:33 PM
A wonderful example of the Olympic spirit -

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/london-olympics/daniel-gyurta-makes-copy-of-gold-medal-for-family-of-norways-alexander-dale-oen/story-fn9dheyx-1226442722824

cassiesmom
08-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I had goose bumps watching Oscar Pistorius! Wowie wow!

A little Olympic humor (source unknown but I think partly from Bob Costas, I got this from a friend from church)... the camera operators covering the trampoline event had a very up-and-down day; the crews covering tennis and volleyball reported great shots over and over; and there were so many who wanted to cover gymnastics that they had to flip for it.

RICHARD
08-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Wow, what an end to the Woman's soccer game.

Wow.

carole
08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
RICHARD did you see our valerie in the shotput miss out on a gold, such a shame ,she was the current holder of the world title,still a silver better than nothing.

RICHARD
08-07-2012, 08:50 AM
RICHARD did you see our valerie in the shotput miss out on a gold, such a shame ,she was the current holder of the world title,still a silver better than nothing.

The coverage here is terrible, as usual.
The broadcasters have spread the coverage over 5 networks, three I do not get and list the events like this..

9:00 to 5:00
Equestrian, track and field (finals), volleyball, men's quarterfinal rowing and dog racing.

You are stuck watching hours of sports for a three minute snippet of an event you wanted to see -you can stream over the computer, but that is unreliable.

The other problem is that the world didn't show up to these games. It seems like it's either Micheal Phelps, the gymnastic team or some other US athlete that has a twitter page or commercial deal...;)

Grace
08-07-2012, 08:56 AM
The NY Times has a great daily schedule available. Shows what is going on at the time you access, plus what is coming up later in the day. http://london2012.nytimes.com/schedule

As for livestream, I use http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-listings/sport=swimming/day=july-28/index.html

Pick the sport you want, then the day. The time shown is the time it will be here - not there. I've been using it with few problems.

cassiesmom
08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I watched some canoeing and kayaking video clips from the NBC Olympics Web site. I didn't realize how fast the kayakers were going till I saw the people behind them following the race on bicycles! Wow! I learned some canoeing as a kid at summer camp and liked it a lot. The kayaking looks fun to me.

cassiesmom
08-12-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm enjoying the rhythmic gymnastics team event. To me it's part gymnastics, part ballet and a little Cirque du Soleil. I'm sorry the Olympics are over! I wonder if Adele will be in the closing ceremony? I heard that Sir Paul might be back along with Sir Elton John, the Who, George Michael and Annie Lennox.

Miss Z
08-12-2012, 07:02 PM
I stayed in London a little longer this summer for the Olympics, and I have to say it's been a blessing upon the city and Great Britain on the whole. The atmosphere was just electric. London is always very cosmopolitan, but having so many people from around the world walking its streets was fantastic (other than, perhaps, when we Londoners are stuck behind them on the tube :p). Most certainly an experience I'll never forget. One of my best friends was even lucky enough to be a performer in the opening ceremony. A nation is proud. To all those in this country that have been rubbishing it for the past 4 years - well, that showed you!

I had tickets for the first round of the team dressage, and I saw the men's marathon swim in Hyde Park. I'll post the pics up soon.

Edwina's Secretary
08-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I stayed in London a little longer this summer for the Olympics, and I have to say it's been a blessing upon the city and Great Britain on the whole. The atmosphere was just electric. London is always very cosmopolitan, but having so many people from around the world walking its streets was fantastic (other than, perhaps, when we Londoners are stuck behind them on the tube :p). Most certainly an experience I'll never forget. One of my best friends was even lucky enough to be a performer in the opening ceremony. A nation is proud. To all those in this country that have been rubbishing it for the past 4 years - well, that showed you!

I had tickets for the first round of the team dressage, and I saw the men's marathon swim in Hyde Park. I'll post the pics up soon.

And what a wonderful job you all did! Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

Karen
08-13-2012, 01:13 AM
So glad to hear from you, Zara! Glad you enjoyed the experience!

RICHARD
08-13-2012, 10:48 AM

The best part of the show.

-----------------

Two people were asked perform at the closing ceremonies, they declined, but after seeing the opening, they changed their minds and asked to be included.

The LOOC told them to go pound sand.

Does anyone know who they were?

My guesses are Bowie and Roger Waters.

Karen
08-14-2012, 01:18 PM
By the way, congratulations are due to New Zealand belatedly for the gold medal in Women's Shot Put...

"Shot putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk of Belarus became the first athlete to be stripped of a medal at the London Olympics after her gold was withdrawn Monday for doping. The Belorussian won her country's only track & field gold, but the title will now go to New Zealand's Valerie Adams after two of Ostapchuk's urine samples contained traces of metenolone.

Valerie Adams of New Zealand was awarded the gold and Evgeniia Kolodko of Russia was bumped up to silver. Fourth-place finisher Gong Lijiao of China was moved up to bronze."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/08/13/nadzeya-ostaochuk-doping.ap/index.html#ixzz23Xtz8s7y

carole
08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
THANK you for mentioning this Karen, was just going to post it, yes it is awful when cheaters do this,sadly valerie can never get that moment back, and she also was in tears and so upset when she lost, as she was the world title holder i believe.

Still we are darn proud of our girl and all our athletes, we did well in these games, for a little country we don't do too bad at all.

Did you know she is 6ft 4in, she used to be a much bigger girl too, and has slimmed down, just all muscle now i would think.

I see the cheater is still in denial and back lashing our girl,some people have no shame at all!!!!:(

Karen
08-15-2012, 04:02 PM
THANK you for mentioning this Karen, was just going to post it, yes it is awful when cheaters do this,sadly valerie can never get that moment back, and she also was in tears and so upset when she lost, as she was the world title holder i believe.

Still we are darn proud of our girl and all our athletes, we did well in these games, for a little country we don't do too bad at all.

Did you know she is 6ft 4in, she used to be a much bigger girl too, and has slimmed down, just all muscle now i would think.

I see the cheater is still in denial and back lashing our girl,some people have no shame at all!!!!:(

I didn't know she's 6' 4" - just knew she was tall! But that's true in real life, too - I am 5' 6", and anything over 6' 1", I just regard as "tall" - I can't guess anything about that height!

Hopefully someone will have a big party for Valerie and make a gold medal worthy fuss!

carole
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
we are putting on big celebrations for all the athletes, but she won't be there , i believe she is in Europe in a competition there, but we can wait for her to come home and give her a big party then lol:)