PDA

View Full Version : 90,000 foot sky dive? (17 miles)

RICHARD
07-25-2012, 10:59 AM
I have followed this guy for years and he always does something crazy and death defying

http://news.yahoo.com/skydiver-felix-baumgartner-completes-17-mile-dive-134525786--abc-news-tech.html

happylabs
07-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Oh my. And to think I am afraid just to go on an airplane - LOL!

If I were his mother I would be worried to death!

RICHARD
07-26-2012, 05:05 PM

That was a warm-up for a 120,000 foot (22 mile) jump that's going to happen later on this year.:eek:

RICHARD
10-14-2012, 01:37 PM

Mom Baumgartner got to see his son jump.......she was pretty happy when he landed, safely from 125,000+ feet.

Discovery Channel will be broadcasting a special on the jump in a few weeks.:D

Randi
10-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Wow! :eek: What a cool guy! I sat here with baited breath.

Freckles
10-14-2012, 05:37 PM
That was neat. Almost better that space shuttle events.

Bengalz
10-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Incredible!! We watched it live ... my heart stopped when he jumped off the platform :eek: ... and started again when he landed ever so gracefully:D. Bet he was a Burmese cat in a previous life;).

mrspunkysmom
10-15-2012, 07:54 AM
It was incredible and fast! I really didn't think it would work. Fantastic space suit.

CNN refused to show the actual jump and delayed showing the landing. They did show the videos a few minutes later. It might relate back to a shuttle breaking up over Texas on live TV. He knew what had happened but wisely held his tongue until NASA could announce the disaster.

Anyway, he landed like it was a regular jump from an airplane, just like the military. Wow.

So next? Can someone survive re-entry into the atmosphere?

RICHARD
10-15-2012, 11:14 AM
The suit was equipped with cameras and other stuff to monitor the jump and the effects on his body.

I just read that he hit 833 miles an hour at the fastest part of the jump.

The guy who was talking to FB before the jump was Joe Kittinger. He held the previous record set back in 1960.
His jump was done with a setup that kept him from spinning like FB did. The military was studying the effects of a high altitude ejection from a jet. They dropped dummies and found that they spun out of control until they figured out a smaller chute to stabilize the pilot and then a larger chute to get him down.

FB was spinning so fast at the beginning I thought he would black out. You can see when he finally got squared away and began to get into position to pull his chute. The film from the cameras should be good.

----------------------------

NASA is interested in the suit and probably will get some good ideas from it.

If a pic is worth a thousand words?

This one is worth about 128,000 feet? :D

I did hold my breath and was probably just as scared/excited as he was.

People are complaining about this stunt as being a waste of time and money?

I think that if there are a few things that help science and maybe inspire a few kids that show up at school
today with a desire to learn?

We should check back with them in a few years and see how much a "stunt" inspired them to do something
that people think is impossible.

It was a good day for dreamers and inspiration.

RICHARD
10-15-2012, 08:02 PM
This is Ground Control to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

"This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

- David Bowie

chocolatepuppy
10-16-2012, 05:12 AM
My heart would have stopped in the first mile!!!:eek:

smokey the elder
10-16-2012, 09:29 AM
This is Ground Control to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

"This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

- David Bowie

I was thinking of this very song when I saw the report the other night!

RICHARD
10-16-2012, 11:03 AM
A 4,000 foot stunt that was way more dangerous?

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/watch-cliff-jump-horror-norwegian-daredevil-164427124--abc-news-topstories.html

Bonny
10-16-2012, 11:50 AM
The suit was equipped with cameras and other stuff to monitor the jump and the effects on his body.

I just read that he hit 833 miles an hour at the fastest part of the jump.

The guy who was talking to FB before the jump was Joe Kittinger. He held the previous record set back in 1960.
His jump was done with a setup that kept him from spinning like FB did. The military was studying the effects of a high altitude ejection from a jet. They dropped dummies and found that they spun out of control until they figured out a smaller chute to stabilize the pilot and then a larger chute to get him down.

FB was spinning so fast at the beginning I thought he would black out. You can see when he finally got squared away and began to get into position to pull his chute. The film from the cameras should be good.

----------------------------

NASA is interested in the suit and probably will get some good ideas from it.

If a pic is worth a thousand words?

This one is worth about 128,000 feet? :D

I did hold my breath and was probably just as scared/excited as he was.

People are complaining about this stunt as being a waste of time and money?

I think that if there are a few things that help science and maybe inspire a few kids that show up at school
today with a desire to learn?

We should check back with them in a few years and see how much a "stunt" inspired them to do something
that people think is impossible.

It was a good day for dreamers and inspiration.

I wonder with all that spinning why he didn't get a giant nose bleed , his eyes didn't pop out of his head & his ear drums didn't burst?:eek: Maybe the suit was oxygen filled & pressurized?

RICHARD
10-16-2012, 06:04 PM
I wonder with all that spinning why he didn't get a giant nose bleed , his eyes didn't pop out of his head & his ear drums didn't burst?:eek: Maybe the suit was oxygen filled & pressurized?

Yes, the suit is pressurized, like a space suit.

The suit was designed by a company that has many years of experience in making suits for the Shuttle astronauts.

FB said he had some problems with controlling his fall, with some pressure in his head, but nothing he could not handle.