PDA

View Full Version : Teething puppy - suggestions

happylabs
07-24-2012, 02:04 PM
My new grand-puppy Comet is teething. It has been so long since I had a puppy that I am not sure what is out there for them to chew on and to soothe them.

I could Google it, but I know I will get much better advice here from my PT loving friends. :love:

Freedom
07-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Two suggestions:

Take a face cloth, get it wet, don't wring it out too much, put in freezer. After about half an hour or so, take it out and let doggie chew on it. The cold is soothing, and it is soft.

Peel and freeze a banana. You can cut it in half, both length and width, so you get 4 parts from one banana. Bananas don't freeze 'hard,' so again something cold and soft to chew.

Karen
07-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Even better - soak the washcloth in a bit of chicken or beef stock, more incentive to chew it, and you can just throw it in the laundry when the pup is done/it's all thawed out! Frozen chunks of watermelon (in season) are also good, a chilled watermelon rinds work, too, after you eat the good parts!

Sowa
07-24-2012, 08:21 PM
I just made sure to have a lot for Clover to chew on. I gave her pizzles/bones etc. It seemed to do the trick because she was never very destructive other then her toys. She still loves to chew though at a year old and will rip apart her toys. So I still like to give her lots of bones/chewys

cassiesmom
07-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Can I please just back up for a second? I saw a recent video with Zoey and Sunshine - does that mean Comet is grand-puppy number three? Have I missed an introduction somewhere?

Varga
07-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Can I please just back up for a second? I saw a recent video with Zoey and Sunshine - does that mean Comet is grand-puppy number three? Have I missed an introduction somewhere?

I believe she is referring to "Scooter" who I am guessing must have changed name to Comet ??

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?173637-Another-Grandpuppy!!!!!-Picture-added-9

As for suggestion, I don't really have any (and the ones already posted seem all very nice). It's been way too long since I had a puppy, haha. I guess if anything I would suggest a Kong. Those things have a lifetime warranty so it should (hopefully) last way beyond the teething. :)

Edit; I just took a look at the Kong website and it seems they even have Kongs specifically for teething puppies.
like this one:
http://www.kongcompany.com/products/for-dogs/rubber-toys/puppy-rubber-toys/teething-stick/

happylabs
07-25-2012, 07:44 AM

Sorry about that! Yes Comet is my son and daughter-in-law's new doggie. He is a 10-month old Yellow Lab mix. He came to the SPCA with the name Scooter but they decided he was more of a Comet. :D

Sunshine and Zoey belong to my daughter and her fiance. :) :love:

I love that I have instilled the love of dogs into both of my kids. They love their dogs more than some people love their children.