PDA

View Full Version : kidney stones

david p
07-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Has anyone here experienced kidney stones? My right side aches a lot and it's really uncomfortable. I went to the hospital and had a CT scan done to find out what's happening down there. This is my first one and it's NOT FUN! Any help at all will be apprieciated!

kittycats_delight
07-20-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm a seasoned pro with this issue. I got my first one at 10. Mine are not frequent but large and extremely painful. Uncomfortable doesn't cover it. My last one was bad. I was in pain for 22 days before it passed. The doctors couldn't figure out why I wasn't passing it as it was showing to be quite small at 3 mm. Finally after the 3 ultrasound was done they decided to do a CT. The CT showed it to be 1 cm and not 3 mm...why, because it was a rare form of stone made up mainly of uric crystals which are invisible to the ultrasound. They were only seeing the core which was 3 mm.

When you are not in pain drink a ton of water. Do NOT drink when you are in pain. When you are in pain it is because the stone(s) are in motion. Hot baths will help ease the pain. Make sure they give you a good pain killer cause when the stone moved you will need it. Also as the stone gets closer to being expelled the pain will be pretty bad as well. I would not wish the pain of kidney stones on anyone. You have all my sympathies.

david p
07-20-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm a seasoned pro with this issue. I got my first one at 10. Mine are not frequent but large and extremely painful. Uncomfortable doesn't cover it. My last one was bad. I was in pain for 22 days before it passed. The doctors couldn't figure out why I wasn't passing it as it was showing to be quite small at 3 mm. Finally after the 3 ultrasound was done they decided to do a CT. The CT showed it to be 1 cm and not 3 mm...why, because it was a rare form of stone made up mainly of uric crystals which are invisible to the ultrasound. They were only seeing the core which was 3 mm.

When you are not in pain drink a ton of water. Do NOT drink when you are in pain. When you are in pain it is because the stone(s) are in motion. Hot baths will help ease the pain. Make sure they give you a good pain killer cause when the stone moved you will need it. Also as the stone gets closer to being expelled the pain will be pretty bad as well. I would not wish the pain of kidney stones on anyone. You have all my sympathies.

Thank you. You're right, uncomfortable isn't the word! I will be drinking a lot of water and I'll follow what the doctors and the nurses here tell me to do.

Karen
07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
I've never had them, but have friends who have, and they described it to me in pretty painful detail. Hang in there, here's hoping it progresses quickly so it gets over with sooner rather than later!

carole
07-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Aww Bro i am so sorry to hear of your discomfort, both my husband and my mother have had them, i tell you a a little story, we went for our first holiday, just a little seaside town about an hour away from where we live, i was pregnant with my Melissa, my husband and son were having a great time on the hydroslide , and that evening, we had just had dinner and hubby was in extreme pain, turned out he had kidney stones, and he had to go to hospital by ambulance, yep our holiday cut short, luckily for him he had passed them himself, but the pain was very bad, my mother had to have her's blasted lithotripsy, was some years back now,but either way they are not fun, i hope you can get rid of them by yourself, be thinking of you, HUGS.

david p
07-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Aww Bro i am so sorry to hear of your discomfort, both my husband and my mother have had them, i tell you a a little story, we went for our first holiday, just a little seaside town about an hour away from where we live, i was pregnant with my Melissa, my husband and son were having a great time on the hydroslide , and that evening, we had just had dinner and hubby was in extreme pain, turned out he had kidney stones, and he had to go to hospital by ambulance, yep our holiday cut short, luckily for him he had passed them himself, but the pain was very bad, my mother had to have her's blasted lithotripsy, was some years back now,but either way they are not fun, i hope you can get rid of them by yourself, be thinking of you, HUGS.

Thank you Sis. I hope I can, the nurses say drink a lot of water and I guess hope for the best. I'm glad I'm in a place where I'm watched over by doctors and nurses!