PDA

View Full Version : Thursdays #490- Happy birthday, Degas

cassiesmom
07-20-2012, 10:58 AM
A toast to art appreciation ... July 19 is the anniversary of Impressionist artist Edgar Degas. I love his paintings of ballerinas - and his paintings of other subjects, too. So, here's to a summer Thursday with a Paris Cocktail...

1 oz gin
1 oz dry vermouth
1 oz creme de cassis

Shake ingredients well with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon peel, and serve.

RICHARD
07-20-2012, 11:04 AM
It may be time to fire up the jukebox and clear the dance floor.

I don't look good in a tutu, so I'll leave that to the experts!

I'll mix and pour....maybe we can have some fancy treats for a snack.

Karen
07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Napoleans? Cream puffs?

Lady's Human
07-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Napoleans? I'll bake! Either that or Crepes.

Pinot's Mom
07-20-2012, 04:38 PM
I have a newer recipe for a zucchini appetizer - I'll bring those for y'all. The art theme is appropriate - this weekend in Baltimore is Artscape - the largest free outdoor art festival in the country! :)

momoffuzzyfaces
07-20-2012, 05:30 PM
A cold rootbeer float for me please. This heat has me sick to my stomach at the thought of solid food. :love:

Lady's Human
07-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Anyone want to join a pickling party? (no, not THAT kind of pickling!!!!!)

Dilly beans and pickled Okra on the way!

Karen
07-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Hmm, I'll be with moff out on the porch with an ice cream float for her, and strawberries and cream for me! Never had okra, pickled or otherwise!

pomtzu
07-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Hmm, I'll be with moff out on the porch with an ice cream float for her, and strawberries and cream for me! Never had okra, pickled or otherwise!

Okra?? ICK!!! - I think it's slimy and nasty!

However, rootbeer floats, strawberries and ice cream - now you're talkin'.....:D I'll be back later for one of those.

In the meantime - happy Monday everybody.

RICHARD
07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
A good vinegar-y okra - pickled with red pepper flakes is the greatest in a bloody mary.

I want fish tacos and not the Gorton's breaded pollock in a tortilla....:rolleyes:

Zucchini?

I am there!:)

Queen of Poop
07-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh, I'd love a fish taco!!!

Need to find a gluten/lactose free way to have those.

Karen
07-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Oh, I'd love a fish taco!!!

Need to find a gluten/lactose free way to have those.

Does corn have gluten that bother you? Just curious! I know wheat and its relatives are evil to your tummy ... (whereas the fish itself is (sigh) to mine!

Queen of Poop
07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Does corn have gluten that bother you? Just curious! I know wheat and its relatives are evil to your tummy ... (whereas the fish itself is (sigh) to mine!

Corn is ok, but not so easy to find here (ie, corn chips, corn tortillas). We have them in rice format, but getting sooooo tired of them.

Karen
07-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Corn is ok, but not so easy to find here (ie, corn chips, corn tortillas). We have them in rice format, but getting sooooo tired of them.

Oh, that's too bad! Maybe you can get Richard to sen you some corn ones homemade! :) We have plenty of corn ones in our grocery stores!

RICHARD
07-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Oh, that's too bad! Maybe you can get Richard to sen you some corn ones homemade! :) We have plenty of corn ones in our grocery stores!

You can make homemade corn tortillas with a mix called Maseca

http://www.mimaseca.com/en/

It's a good mix and if you are handy in the kitchen, you can do quite a bit with it.

pomtzu
07-25-2012, 10:32 AM

My ex had celiac and couldn't have any gluten, and it was wheat, rye, oats, barley and buckwheat that he couldn't have - or anything made with those grains - even any grain alcohol. Good that he wasn't a drinker! Back then, gluten free foods weren't readily available as they are now, and it was a challenge for me when I went grocery shopping.