PDA

View Full Version : my dad had a total hip replacement surgery...

carole
07-18-2012, 12:07 AM
my dad is 80 yrs old and in day five from his operation, all has gone well, and i am amazed at how well he is doing, the hip surgery has not really given him any problems, just the sickness and tummy problems after all the drugs one has to have,in fact he is still having sick moments, so is not allowed home just yet.

I was concerned about his op as he has had a heart attack, some years back now though and diabetes, but so far so good, just amazes me at how he is walking around now,hopefully he will be home tomorrow or the next day, if is tummy problems come right.

Both my sister and i have hip ,leg problems the same leg, the left one, so have been taking a close look at how it all went,hopefully we are not heading down the same track, but one never knows, still dad only started having problems last year and it only became unbearable for him in the last six months, so i reckon he has done pretty darn well considering his age.

Off to see him tonite, pick up my mum and have her over for dinner then we go up to see him, i know he is getting very bored up there, my dad is NOT one to sit around and do nothing.:)

Karen
07-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Tell him to be VERY sure he follows doctors orders, especially about bending and lifting, my mum-law has a friend who decided to get something out of a low shelf too soon after surgery and pooped the new hip right out of the socket, which was not only painful, be necessitated more surgery.

caseysmom
07-18-2012, 01:14 AM
My mom had both hips and a knee replaced in the 80's, she said the hips were way easier than the knees...I hope he makes a quick recovery, like Karen said make sure he listens to the doc, that part is very important.

carole
07-18-2012, 06:05 AM
oh yes we have heard all about that, and how it can happen, yes i will do my best, but he is very independent,but yes i have heard it is so painful, he does not want to do that for sure, he should be coming home tomorrow and oh yes i do hope he follows doctors orders.

Freedom
07-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Well done, Carole's Dad! Let the healing continue, so you can soon be home.

Don't know much about hip replacement, I've known several folks had knees done. The physical therapy regimen after that is very important to the recovery of movement. Whatever they offer, help at home, physical therapy, SAY YES! LOL

Pinot's Mom
07-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Carole - prayers your Dad continues improvement! My brother just had both hips replaced (much younger, granted, Stephen is 53); the first one last year and the second last month. He's back on a bicycle!:)

phesina
07-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Dear Carole, prayers and good healing wishes for your dad after his surgery. We hope he follows the doctors' orders and takes advantage of treatments and home help available, so he recovers comfortably and is back in action before long.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

carole
07-18-2012, 02:37 PM
yes i believe they are doing them so much younger now, the same surgeon did my best friends sister, she has both replaced too one at my age and one at 58, only thing is you probably have to get them done in 20 yrs again, would not fancy that, but still if you have to have it done you don't get much of a choice.

Just waiting to hear if he is allowed home today, he seemed pretty confident about it, however he tends to get sick in the mornings and they won't let him home until that stops.

Yes we have home care in place,other than that, not sure what he will get, as it has to be done through his insurance,cost $21,000 dollars for a new hip.,thanks for the well wishes for my dad everyone, always appreciated, will keep ya all posted.:)