PDA

View Full Version : Where are you on the global fat scale?

Randi
07-15-2012, 09:15 AM
I tried this test, but I'm pretty sure it's not accurate, because it says: "You're most like someone from Bangladesh." I'm certainly not, I'm more like someone from Haiti, according to the beam that show. However, I AM below the average BMI. :) See link and try for yourself.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

It also says: If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 286,988,762 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population. :eek:

RICHARD
07-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Micronesia!:D

pomtzu
07-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Interesting! Probably true for me anyway.

BMI - 20
National - 95% below average for my age group
Global - 84% below average for my age group

Most like someone from Ethiopia! :eek:
That in itself is funny, because 12 years ago I had a very serious surgery that I almost didn't recover from, and my weight dropped to 85 pounds before I started to recover. I told my family that I looked like an Ethiopian refugee! I'm now a chunky 100 pounds - on a good day! :rolleyes:

Catty1
07-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Czech! And if everyone in the world had my BMI it would ADD over 66 million lbs to the world's weight!

However, I am 12 lbs down and still going, so I am not worried!

Interesting, Randi - thanks for posting this! I shared it on FB.

Willow Oak
07-15-2012, 11:19 AM
I am way, WAY below average for my country (US), but about average on a global scale.

If everyone were like me there would be no need for animal shelters. :D

robinh
07-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Bangladesh

But I sure don't feel like it. Feeling kind of pudgy lately. And no motivation to get rid of it.

cassiesmom
07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Micronesia, but I would rather be like someone from Norway or Denmark - active, healthy and not over- or under-weight.

Randi
07-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I watched a TV program the other day, about obese people and I thought to myself, how can anyone get that fat! I mean if a person, man or woman below 6 inches reach 200 pounds, they must realize that something is wrong and start changing their habits. I know one Ptalker who has done so and I admire her for her determination. Well done! :)

Oh, I do know that some can't do much about it and I certainly can relate to wanting a chocolade bar or cream cake now and again, but not every day! Think about your wife/husband/pets/children and stop eating so much fatty food! Someone is going to miss you if you die.

In my opinion, children who are fed fat foods, will grow up and have a really hard time losing weight when they get older. A really nice girl (and catlover) in my building was obese and struggled so much trying to lose weight. She is now dead. :(

I will be the first to admit that being too skinny is equally unhealthy.

Here's a link to calculate your BMI: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm

mrspunkysmom
07-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Czech! And if everyone in the world had my BMI it would ADD over 66 million lbs to the world's weight!

However, I am 12 lbs down and still going, so I am not worried!

Interesting, Randi - thanks for posting this! I shared it on FB.

All I am going to say it that I've got you beat.

I do know that BMI does not take into account bone density. While I am definitely Obese, most people would not believe how much I weigh.

I'm trying to lose weight. I've change my diet and it does not seem to be working on the weight loss. I do seem to be losing fat, which is the least dense of muscle, bone, and fat. I'm concentrating on feeling better and hoping the weight loss will be a side effect. I'm already exercising much better.

Need all the positive thoughts y'all can spare.

Randi
07-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Good luck with it, Anne! :) I'm sure you'll feel much better, and remember the pounds just doesn't come off like that, it takes a bit of time - but you'll get there! ;)

mrspunkysmom
07-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Actually I think you meant 6 FEET. I really do wish US would switch to metric. Just do it and be done with it.

I can speak to why I am fat. Hypothyroidism. My thyroid quit about 20+ years back. It took several years to get it properly diagnosed. Not all doctors believe in hypothyroidism and many refuse to treat it. Mine is immune related and this is genetic.

Added to that is that now doctors know that female hormones can interfere with thyroid hormones. And it goes on and on.

As for others, lack of exercise and poor dietary habits. (and this crazy overdone American individualism - don't tell me what to do!) Prepared foods are marketed heavily in the USA. And the medical establishment does not explain why we need to exercise or restrict sugars. If there was openness about what sugar does to you, people would avoid it. Schools offer very little Phys Ed any more.

And if you have been paying attention to the USA political environment, you would understand why it is difficult to get any legislation passed concerning the food industry.

I could go on.

So because of Celiac, I am back to cooking fresh meals and feeling better. AS I start to heal, perhaps I'll start to lose some weight.

And being overweight is healthier than being underweight, although neither is better than being your correct weight. A friend of mine had an aunt that died from anorexia. She refused to eat and her body couldn't function. Sad.

I watched a TV program the other day, about obese people and I thought to myself, how can anyone get that fat! I mean if a person, man or woman below 6 inches reach 200 pounds, they must realize that something is wrong and start changing their habits. I know one Ptalker who has done so and I admire her for her determination. Well done! :)

Oh, I do know that some can't do much about it and I certainly can relate to wanting a chocolade bar or cream cake now and again, but not every day! Think about your wife/husband/pets/children and stop eating so much fatty food! Someone is going to miss you if you die.

In my opinion, children who are fed fat foods, will grow up and have a really hard time losing weight when they get older. A really nice girl (and catlover) in my building was obese and struggled so much trying to lose weight. She is now dead. :(

Here's a link to calculate your BMI: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm

pomtzu
07-15-2012, 01:36 PM

True, but fortunately I am not too skinny since I am only 5 feet tall. I always lose some weight in the summer, and come the cooler weather I usually can get back up to about 105 pounds - maybe a little more. Due to the surgery, it's impossible for me to get much beyond that, but I wasn't always such a lightweight. A plus - no high cholesterol or high blood pressure, and I take no meds at all on a regular basis, so I can't be all that unhealthy in general - except for my crappy porus bones! Sometimes buying clothes can be a challenge - hard to find age appropriate things in my size. Thankfully jeans and sweatshirts are age appropriate for everyone! :D

Randi
07-15-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry you have thyroid problems, Anne, that doesn't make it easier. :( I know that with many people, overweight is genetic.

Regarding legislation concerning the food industry, Jamie Oliver touched on that subject when he was trying to change what schools cook for the children - it was gross to see what kind of food they were serving. :eek: Did you see any of those programs?

Lady's Human
07-15-2012, 03:11 PM
As for others, lack of exercise and poor dietary habits. (and this crazy overdone American individualism - don't tell me what to do!) Prepared foods are marketed heavily in the USA. And the medical establishment does not explain why we need to exercise or restrict sugars. If there was openness about what sugar does to you, people would avoid it. Schools offer very little Phys Ed any more.

And if you have been paying attention to the USA political environment, you would understand why it is difficult to get any legislation passed concerning the food industry.

Which schools are you referring to? I keep hearing about this, yet the kids come home tired from Gym, recess, etc constantly. They have more PE than I had while I was in school...the good old days aint. The school lunch menu is far better than it ever was while I was a child, so that one isn't going to fly as a "systemic problem" either.

As to the legislative side, does there NEED to be legislation in that regard? Use your head. All things in moderation. Even when money's tight we somehow manage to put balanced meals on the table.

It takes desire to take care of yourself, and no amount of political pandering can create that.

As to my weight? I hover around 200 pounds, give or take depending on what time of the year it is,I'm under 6', and can still do enough pushups to pass the army physical fitness test. They can take their BMI scale and....well.......

krazyaboutkatz
07-15-2012, 05:20 PM
It says I'm from Sri Lanka.

My obsesity index is 20bmi.

You have a lower BMI than 94% of females aged 45-59 in your country.

You have a lower BMI than 79% of females aged 45-59 in the world.

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 40,429,375 tonnes fromthe total weight of the world's population.

My BMI from the other link was 20.4 and this is within the normal range for my height and weight. I seem to recall that I'm more like 23-25 though because even though I'm thin I do have a lot of fat on me. I know I'm not in shape.

I've always been thin but now I've noticed that I've started gaining weight in my tummy area. I've always had a problem with gaining weight in my thighs and butt area. I'm pear shaped. I'm also lazy and I haven't worked out in a long time. I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Taz_Zoee
07-15-2012, 05:50 PM
It says Jamaica for me. I always thought everyone was super skinny in Jamaica.
I won't even go into the rest of the stats it says for me. Too humiliating. I know I need to lose weight and I just need to get off my arse and do it!! At least I am not gaining weight. I weigh myself very seldom and I seem to stay in the same area. Even after a week of eating HORRIBLE foods and not exercising (walking the dog because it was too hot) I was still within the 10 lbs range I've been in for years.

RICHARD
07-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Which schools are you referring to? I keep hearing about this, yet the kids come home tired from Gym, recess, etc constantly. They have more PE than I had while I was in school...the good old days aint. The school lunch menu is far better than it ever was while I was a child, so that one isn't going to fly as a "systemic problem" either.

As to the legislative side, does there NEED to be legislation in that regard? Use your head. All things in moderation. Even when money's tight we somehow manage to put balanced meals on the table.

It takes desire to take care of yourself, and no amount of political pandering can create that.

As to my weight? I hover around 200 pounds, give or take depending on what time of the year it is,I'm under 6', and can still do enough pushups to pass the army physical fitness test. They can take their BMI scale and....well.......

I remember hearing that the best 'push up' was the push up a person does when they move away from the dinner table.

---------------------------

I do like the sites where you can get an average 'snapshot' of what is supposed to be normal, but, there are a bunch of things that can impact your health/lifestyle.

When I go to see the DR. I do a bi monthy cholesterol test. While a BMI index or internet test can give you a baseline
idea of your physical health, nothing beats a good once over by a doc.

chocolatepuppy
07-15-2012, 08:25 PM
BMI 25!:D Down from 29.6 in January. But then I have lost 30# since then.;)

Karen
07-15-2012, 08:36 PM
I tried to do it, but it wouldn't let me put America, or United States of America in the country field, so I needed to lie and chose Sweden instead. But these online things never account for variations in a person's bone structure or body shape, they would judge my friend Heather and I, for example, by the same standards because we are the same height, but I am big-boned, and she is very fine-boned. If we were both skeletons, her ribcage would fit inside mine and not even touch the edges, and my collarbone is probably about 4 inches wider than hers. I weigh more than I should, and need to lose weight I know, but height and age don't account for nearly enough!

Freckles
07-15-2012, 09:06 PM
For me, it didn't like USA, but did accept United States.

mrspunkysmom
07-15-2012, 10:48 PM

Actually the students are more tired from sitting still in a seat all day. As a teacher I can tell you that the lunches may be more varied than in our years, they are not healthier than in our youth. Many of the youth do not get balanced meals at home and many of those do not get to eat at home. And I also meant the meals they get at home. Our culture wants things easy and simple and I went that way for a while. It's not helpful that the unhealthy food is cheaper.

And our culture needs to rethink how we educate our young. Many are stuck in a self-perpetuating cycle of obesity.

The legislation would entail truth in advertising. The many names that cover starches and glutens would amaze most people. It would be good if the food industry wasn't so mechanized. I can't buy a simple bag of nuts because many are processed on the same machinery as wheat. The same goes for canned or frozen foods. At least frozen foods can be rinsed in a colander.

And a lot of those ingredients in cereals and drinks are alternative names for sugars and artificial sweeteners.

I do happen to agree with your views on the BMI. My doc would love for me to be 125 pounds. I would look emaciated. A friend of mine who by the numbers is 30% overweight, looks good. Again bone size, density, skeletal frame, do make a difference.

mrspunkysmom
07-15-2012, 10:55 PM
I tried to do it, but it wouldn't let me put America, or United States of America in the country field, so I needed to lie and chose Sweden instead. But these online things never account for variations in a person's bone structure or body shape, they would judge my friend Heather and I, for example, by the same standards because we are the same height, but I am big-boned, and she is very fine-boned. If we were both skeletons, her ribcage would fit inside mine and not even touch the edges, and my collarbone is probably about 4 inches wider than hers. I weigh more than I should, and need to lose weight I know, but height and age don't account for nearly enough!

Just try typing in U or Un and United States will show up with a few others.

We are alike in that we are big boned with larger skeletal frames. Even when HWP I had to buy larger blouses so that they would fit my shoulders. Or couldn't wear bangles since they wouldn't fit over my slender hands.

One odd thing: my hands are still slender from all those years of piano practice.

Lady's Human
07-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Actually the students are more tired from sitting still in a seat all day. As a teacher I can tell you that the lunches may be more varied than in our years, they are not healthier than in our youth. Many of the youth do not get balanced meals at home and many of those do not get to eat at home. And I also meant the meals they get at home. Our culture wants things easy and simple and I went that way for a while. It's not helpful that the unhealthy food is cheaper.

And our culture needs to rethink how we educate our young. Many are stuck in a self-perpetuating cycle of obesity.

The legislation would entail truth in advertising. The many names that cover starches and glutens would amaze most people. It would be good if the food industry wasn't so mechanized. I can't buy a simple bag of nuts because many are processed on the same machinery as wheat. The same goes for canned or frozen foods. At least frozen foods can be rinsed in a colander.

And a lot of those ingredients in cereals and drinks are alternative names for sugars and artificial sweeteners.

I do happen to agree with your views on the BMI. My doc would love for me to be 125 pounds. I would look emaciated. A friend of mine who by the numbers is 30% overweight, looks good. Again bone size, density, skeletal frame, do make a difference.

I'd take a poll of 2 to see why they're tired when they get home, but I wouldn't need to, I know the answer from experience. They are very physically active, and the school system supports that activity.

As to healthy food being more expensive? I disagree. Junk food is easier, takes less prep, but I can make a batch of chili (just to use an example, there are many) that will be good for several meals for less money than one dinner at McD's. The big difference? Time and planning.

snakemama
07-16-2012, 01:23 AM
I might be a little more padded than I 'should' be, but I'm by no means fat and I like my curves. My hubby does too. I'm soft and cuddly without being pudgy. (anymore - thank you Weight Watchers!)

Barbara
07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm Mali-that means I am quite good for my age:)
Only wished the political situation in Mali was better.

Catty1
07-16-2012, 12:47 PM
I made progress and am now equal to Cyprus! :D

Jessika
07-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Obesity Index
19bmi

National
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 93% of females aged 15-29 in your country

Global
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 75% of females aged 15-29 in the world

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 57,780,977 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population

Kirsten
07-18-2012, 04:24 PM
This is interesting. My result:

You're most like someone from Ethiopia

Obesity Index
19bmi

National
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 95% of females aged 45-59 in your country

Global
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 83% of females aged 45-59 in the world

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 51,216,051 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population