PDA

View Full Version : Dog Breed-For 6yr old

ChewmonkeyBC
11-19-2002, 12:12 PM
Hi,
What kind of breed would you recomend to a 6yr old layed back boy?my lil brother will be 6yrs In Jan. and after our Sheltie died(He "co-owned" her with my mom) he has been wanting a dog.....I was thinking a sheltie,like Daisy was........any other breeds yall can think of???I probally will not get him dog till next Christmas(Long was away) but I thought Id get lookin around now.....

Thanks
-Kay:)

FCR:)

iceyshiver21
11-19-2002, 01:18 PM
i think sheltie would be good as long as it has a good temperment, because he's used to haveing a sheltie and careing for one and beings he must have do fairly well with the last one, why not, but i dont think i would like to have a six year old with a puppy. but puppies are hard to care even though its being co-owned, i dont know ill think on it more

zookeeper
11-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Labs, are really gentle dogs and are great with younger kids. I would say go look at your local shelters and see if you can find an adult dog that is good with kids. There are usually tons of lab crosses at these

ChewmonkeyBC
11-19-2002, 06:50 PM
Labs did cross my mind,but I didnt know that they would be good with kids,I thought they where kind hyper,At least my aunt and uncles where(but then again you do see them helping the blind)
Ill have to look at it,I love Labs and Golden Retvivers(yup I no,I spelt it wrong:) )But I was kinda looking for a smaller dog.......

thanks yall~!:)

CathyBogart
11-19-2002, 07:09 PM
They aren't the easiest to come by, but if you want a smaller dog that will be an absolute doll with kids and be energetic enough to keep up with them, take a look at Miniature Australian Shepherds. My friend Heather breeds these dogs, and they are FANTASTIC! I have never seen her anywhere with less than three of them shadowing her.

The last time I saw her she had a litter of pups that were ready to be adopted, including one absolutely angelic red merle female named April. I know she has at least one pet-quality boy available right now as well, and my favorite of her dogs (Emily) is expecting next month.

Take a look at her webpage, she's got pictures and info an' stuff. ^_^

http://www.heatherlyaussies.com/

ChewmonkeyBC
11-19-2002, 07:42 PM
ok thanks!!!:):)

ChewmonkeyBC
11-19-2002, 07:48 PM
wolfChan...im in love with Minn Aussies!!!!!they are so beautiful!!!I saw one that looked like by BC Chewy......:)

PS.gotta shut this short so that I can go look at the rest!:)thanks for the page!!!

ChewmonkeyBC
11-19-2002, 08:05 PM
Hey,
My brother fell in love with them......he became hooked and was like..awwww.....he wants one:)...i just have NOO idea how to get him one and persaude my parents to let me get him one......i really wanted to rats,but when i saw my brother looking at the puppies i decided I wanted to get Josh a puppy for Christmas....so im probally going to pass up the rats:(.....But I know HOW MUCH this would ean to josh to have his FIRST OWN dog!!!!!.......Wish Me Luck!!!

thanks a BUNCHES!!!!!!:)::):):):):)

CathyBogart
11-20-2002, 04:44 PM
I'm glad you enjoy them! For that matter, I'm glad you believe they exist! Sooo many people think I don't know what I'm talking about when I mention those dogs!

Good luck persuading the parents to let you guys get a puppy! I know how much fun that can me. ^_^ If you want to find a mini aussue in your area drop Heather an email, she'll be happy to help you out.

The dog that is pregnant right now (Emily) is going to belong to my friend Christy when she retires ofther this litter. If Emily throws one more champion puppy she will be eligible for the hall of fame! *bounce*

--Cathy

iceyshiver21
11-20-2002, 06:31 PM
Yes i think a lab and deifinetly and aussie if it get enough exersize, will be perfect!

ChewmonkeyBC
11-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Hey,
We really dont need another dog at the moment....and we cant ahve one right now either....:(

IceyShiver-Lab was the first thing that caught my mind.I luv labs!!Almost came home with the sweetest most cutest one the other day,AKC Lab pup 250$!!If it would have been free I would have taken it,my dad could ground me till im old!!I was heart broken when the dogs where gone:(:(......Knew I couldnt have one any ways,price to big to pay......o well didnt hurt to look them:)

Well G2G
Thanks!,
Kay:)

Ven
11-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Boxers are gentle and very protective for a larger breed. Good energy as well.
Dachshunds are good small breeds that are tough and love to play. Again protective and loyal but a bit hard headed.

Dogz
11-29-2002, 09:31 PM
From my experence the best breed I have seen with children
are PUGS! I don't know if it would be the right breed for you.
I am not sure though... don't get me wrong.
Pugs are very gentle and kind and Pugs don't bite.

Pugs do tend to have health problems, so I don't know if you want to deal with that, and I don't even know if you like
Pugs. Some people don't.

I wouldn't get a Labrador or a Golden Retriever for a littler kid, but you don't have to listen to me... actually it depends on the dog. Cause' Labs and Goldens ROCK!!!!!!

Good Luck,
Dogz

Aspen and Misty
11-30-2002, 01:05 AM
Get a Sheltie. :D

One thing with Aussie's are they have thyrod problems.(Which causes them to see the world diffrently and they will become aggressive, Chewy has it) It is so comon in them that almost every dog has them, but may not show aggression. The traner I went to to help Chewy had to put 2 down and maybe another one soon. She also is workign with another one who has the same problem. They also are EXTREMLY entergetic dogs. Since they are herding dogs they are gonna wanna be exersised. I used to walk an Aussie and to get all of His energy out we had to rollerblade for an hour straight. Jenny Ward, the trainer I was speaking about, said they are extremly hyper and are often givin up because of there hyperness. if you have the time to exersise the dog then I think they would be pefect for you. But they are alot of work and you run a high risk of getting one with a thyrod problem. I have learned alot about Aussies, and I to once thought they were the perfect breed for me, but I no longer do. Becasue Chewy is almost half Aussie the vets, trainers and people I meet on the street refure to him as a Aussie Beagle and I have learned so much from everyone abotu Aussies. The good things and bad things. I used to also walk a Lab and my sisters boyfriend owns a lab and there is a Lab down the street I visit all the time. They all are hyper dogs and are run everyday to keep there energy level down. If you want to know anything more about any breed, please PM me.

Ash

Dogz
11-30-2002, 01:47 PM
Shelties are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (so are pugs!)

Desert Arabian
11-30-2002, 08:47 PM
The best dogs for small kids:

Old English Sheepdogs
Mastiff
Great Dane
St. Bernards
Irish Wolfhounds
Labrador Retrievers
Golden Retrievers
Border Collies
Beagles
Collies
German Shepherds
Bloodhounds
Poodles (Reg. Size)

The #1 worst dog for kids:
Dalmation!!!

I saw a program on Discovery Channel about dogs- they said the best was an Old English Sheepdog, and the Dalmation was the worst. They also said you should try to stay away from really little dogs (Poms, Shih Tzu, Toy Poodles, Chi's,etc), because they are too nippy. I wouldn't personally know, since I don't have a dog nor a child.