PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fence? Yes or No? Opinions?

CountryWolf07
07-12-2012, 03:20 PM
First off,
Please do not judge me. I am asking for opinions or advice about electric fences. We have 3 acres and we agree that we do not want to fence in a portion of the backyard. So, I know I am asking so I'm prepared for it. I was on a dog shelter group and they apparently slammed me because I asked about it, and they treated me like I am clueless on dogs and what it takes to own one and how to take care of one. The moderator actually deleted my thread and all I did was to be nice! Nuts. So I left and reported that group. They were actually preaching me on and on about how I shouldn't have a dog! Ridiculous, so I just thought of asking you guys because I have been part of PT for a long time. Please be nice? :) Remember, we are just talking about it, so we aren't sure yet! We do want to protect our dog, because it's family. It's not some 'property'. We just want to keep our dog safe. You know me! I'm responsible and all I care about is to keep our dog safe. Of course, if we do decide on it - we wouldn't use it until the pup is older!

Taz_Zoee
07-12-2012, 03:29 PM
I've never used one, but I have heard of dogs getting past the barrier anyway. They learn the shock or whatever is temporary. So, IMO, it is not a fool-proof way to contain a dog. But as I said, it's just my opinion. :)

pomtzu
07-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I've never used one, but I have heard of dogs getting past the barrier anyway. They learn the shock or whatever is temporary. So, IMO, it is not a fool-proof way to contain a dog. But as I said, it's just my opinion. :)

I've heard the same thing. It works for some, but not for others.

Good grief Rachel - I can't believe some people can be so ignorant. Of course everyone here knows you and that you are hardly a newbie when it comes to having a dog. I would really have been pi$$ed if they came at me like that.

Karen
07-12-2012, 04:26 PM
It really depends on the dog in question. Some dogs, like huskies or any sight hound will tend to go right through it, being more focussed on the chase or the run than any minor pain. Beagles, too, will be so focussed on following the squirrel trail that they might not even notice it!

Other dogs will do just fine with it. I'd never leave a dog unattended with one - it does not stop humans from crossing the line and stealing or harming the dog, for example. But I know some dogs who do very well with it, and it is helpful for their family, as some of the yard is hilly, and some swampy, and trying to put an actual fence in would be nightmarish!

snakemama
07-12-2012, 04:45 PM
My friend lives in a very hilly wooded area where putting in a "real" fence would be a pain. The electric fence he installed keeps two of his three dogs contained just fine. The third once has such a hardwired "chase" instinct that he will charge out of the fence after squirrels, so he's no longer allowed out without a lead.

cassiesmom
07-12-2012, 06:13 PM

In the neighborhood where my brother and sister in law live, there are no fences between the houses. Some have rows of trees or shrubs. A small number do have fences enclosing a pool or for safety for an elderly parent or a special-needs child but the village only allows physical fences in certain situations. I know some of their neighbors have these fences but I don't know how effective they are.

Freedom
07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
I don't like them as I don't use negative reinforcement; why would I WANT to shock my dog???

I know of only 2 people who used electric fence. In one case, the dog ran through it chasing a squirrel, was hit by a car and killed. In the other, a neighborhood dog got loose, came IN to the yard (nothing to stop him) and killed the family dog. :( So from the only 2 people I knew directly ( mean, not online friends but folks I know and knew the dogs) it was a disaster in both cases. A "real" fence is the way to go.

You can put it in yourself; you don't HAVE to enclose your entire yard if that is too costly. And depending on your dog, there are things you can do that are less expensive. We used the plastic coated fence, works fine with my pups. I did have to put in small plastic fence along areas of the bottom as mine tried to scoot UNDER it.

And if you do a 'real' fence, don't go cheap and create a nuisance for yourself. We put in 2 gates, one each end of the house, and thank goodness! I use both regularly, when mowing, fertilizing, water sprinklers, checking the house after storms etc. It was worth it for the extra gate.

Asiel
07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
We had electric fencing for our property but to keep our horses in. We had 3 dogs at the time and they respected the fence, never went near it, maybe picked up from the horses that it was to stay away from. But...the neighbors dogs ran through that fence like it was a thread. So we replaced it with page wire .
I wouldn't use it for dogs with high prey drive, they would go through it without a thought if they took off after something.
I wouldn't use it on any dog myself, we have chain link for the dogs.
Little dogs could get a mighty zap from an e- fence, they might not want to go out in the yard after that.

robinh
07-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I don't use one, but my old boss had the electric fence and two boxers. One of the boxers wouldn't go near it and the other one you could see him steeling himself up and running right through it. He had a really high prey drive and the fence meant nothing to him.

Louie and me
07-13-2012, 06:13 AM
My neighbour had an electric fence to train their Schnauzer Victoria. Once she was trained to know her boundaries it was disconnected. It was fun to watch Victoria tearing down their driveway barking like crazy and coming to a sudden halt at the end knowing that was as far as she could go and this was years after the "fence" was removed.
I'm not sure I would use one in a situation were dogs were allowed out to run free all day because I would think there is no guarantee other dogs or animals wouldn't get in or the dogs figure out they could get out but then I wouldn't let a dog run free, unsupervised all day anyway.

beeniesmom
07-13-2012, 06:19 AM
We've never had one but I understand why you would consider it. Having such a large property, a real fence would be so expensive. Maybe just have a dog run installed to the side of the house just for thier business? Beenie is fine with no fence or leash. She has always stayed in the back yard with me standing there supervising. She does her business and comes back, even with squirrels or bunnies within a few feet of her. Frankie on the other hand needs to be on a leash when outside. He's unpredictable and has a high prey drive. He'd take off after a bug if not on a leash and an electric fence would not stop him. Good luck in finding a solution.

CountryWolf07
07-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys! Hmmm, well I'm not entirely "sold" on the idea of having a electric fence - the idea of it makes me nervous, but Mike insists that it works well. His uncle/aunt had dogs and they had that, and it worked fine - but all dogs in his family were Labs and still Labs today. Half of those dogs do so well off leash that they are always close to you in the yard or in the backyard. I wonder, how the heck do you train a dog to stay with you in the yard and just know you can trust him/her? Mike has Dozer and he is always by your side, no matter what. You let him out, he does his business, then all he wants to do is to be by you and lay in the garage or in the yard. They even let him out and he'll "bark" at the door to be let in. I guess I'm just curious how that works, because I've never had a dog that did well OFF leash! LOL

Alysser
07-13-2012, 08:25 AM
I have a sort of electric fence for our dining room. They are pods though, and Mikey has a collar which we don't use anymore. When we first got him, he kept peeing in the same spot in the dining room. My mom was NOT amused and wanted him out. He would be fine all day then pee in there. I had to do something fast so I used a shock collar. I was successful with it. He doesn't go near there anymore. But many dogs are not so lucky. I am not saying all dogs that have shock collars are going to turn aggressive, but I have seen the effects of negative reinforcement at work. I was lucky and in a desperate situation, but if I had to do it again I wouldn't. Positive reinforcement was new to me when I got Mikey and after the fact I tried it. Believe it or not that works a lot better, at least for me!

I would advise you to get a real fence rather then it being a gamble on your new dogs life. Rachel, I really don't think you'd misuse a shock collar like many do, and I know you are a responsible pet owner. No one's saying you have to fence in all 3 acres, just a certain amount. You can then work on recall training at home with him and maybe then you can have a good off-leash pup on your hands!;)

Sowa
07-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't think I'd trust them. I'd be too worried the dog would get past it. Also other dogs/animals come into the yard that may not be friendly to my dog.

CountryWolf07
07-13-2012, 10:46 AM
We'll see, I suppose. Of course I wouldn't misuse it. You all know me. We absolutely CAN NOT afford a real wood fence to fence in our backyard or even parts of it. Honestly, I'd love that, but not right now, it isn't in our budget. ;)

Freedom
07-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys! Hmmm, well I'm not entirely "sold" on the idea of having a electric fence - the idea of it makes me nervous, but Mike insists that it works well. His uncle/aunt had dogs and they had that, and it worked fine - but all dogs in his family were Labs and still Labs today. Half of those dogs do so well off leash that they are always close to you in the yard or in the backyard. I wonder, how the heck do you train a dog to stay with you in the yard and just know you can trust him/her? Mike has Dozer and he is always by your side, no matter what. You let him out, he does his business, then all he wants to do is to be by you and lay in the garage or in the yard. They even let him out and he'll "bark" at the door to be let in. I guess I'm just curious how that works, because I've never had a dog that did well OFF leash! LOL

In my limited experience, that is very dog specific, and not something you train, lol. The dog already has those tendencies, and you put it to command and such.

A wooden fence will be costly, yes. That is why we did the much MUCH less expensive plastic covered wire. You can see it here, with one gate (white) on the left: http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2010/June%2025%20July%204th%20Cook%20Out/IMG_3103Small.jpg

Here it is up close, behind Willy: http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2010/July%2016%20Willy%20first%20pics/IMG_3135Small.jpg

Glacier
07-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I'd never trust one. I'd never leave a dog unsupervised outside with only electric fencing. Of course, I have huskies and occasionally 7 feet of high strength wire, buried a foot underground and reinforced with concrete hasn't been enough to keep them in the yard!

My other issue with them is they don't keep other animals out...loose dogs, roaming cats or where I live bears, moose, wolves, coyotes and foxes! My fence is built as much for keeping the area wildlife out of my yard as it is for keeping my dogs in the yard!

Daisy has an electric fence at her real home...Daisy who has been at my house pretty much daily for 8 years! The shock occasionally stops her from going home, it never even slows her down when she's leaving. I haven't seen her collar on for quite awhile; her owner probably gave up on it or my dogs chewed it off her again!

wolf_Q
07-13-2012, 05:25 PM
My friend tried one with her german shorthair, didn't stop her, the shock was worth running the neighborhood. I personally wouldn't use one, at least for my dogs - I really don't think it would stop huskies, they may be good for a while but if there were a cat or something to chase they'd run right through it. I would never ever leave the dog outside unsupervised with one, other dogs/animals could come into your yard and harm the dog. So if you were just using it when you are out with the dog it would probably work okay. I'm too lazy for that, I let the dogs out and they play and run and they let me know when they want back in...I do look out the window and check on them but I don't stay outside with them every time I let them out. I think just doing a smaller fenced in area is what I would do for now when I wanted to leave the dog outside for a bit to go potty then otherwise take them out on a retractible leash until they can be trusted to be off leash with you in the yard (if possible).

lizbud
07-13-2012, 06:35 PM
My other issue with them is they don't keep other animals out...loose dogs, roaming cats or where I live bears, moose, wolves, coyotes and foxes! My fence is built as much for keeping the area wildlife out of my yard as it is for keeping my dogs in the yard!

I would never use one for many of the same reasons you've listed, mainly loose dogs and wandering cats.
ps. It's good to know that Daisy is still hanging out with her buds at your house.:):)

mrspunkysmom
07-13-2012, 09:37 PM
A former neighbor had an electric fence. It worked great for the Yellow Lab, but didn't keep out the skunk that bit his nose. Fortunately, the dog was fine.

If you can find a way to afford it, get a dog run, not wood, but chain link.

BTW, sounds like to me the people on the other forum made some assumptions that weren't true. I used to belong to a forum that was for wellness but they had a strong BARF contingent. If you didn't feed Bones (ground) and Raw Food, you weren't fit to be a cat or dog parent.

I think you are better off here. :D

Glacier
07-13-2012, 10:48 PM
ps. It's good to know that Daisy is still hanging out with her buds at your house.:):)

She's here right now. First time I've seen her this week! Time is catching up with Daisy too; she's got arthritis in her elbow and shoulders. If it is rainy, she doesn't come over anymore....and it has rained pretty much every day this summer!!!

robinh
07-14-2012, 06:13 AM
You know I never thought about the fact that it might keep your dog in, but wouldn't keep other dogs out. In my neighborhood that would be the issue, well not the dogs but the other creatures. Glad I've been following this thread.

Freedom
07-14-2012, 07:41 AM
While a dog run may be your solution, do consider this. I love being able to open the back door and let the dogs out. If I had a run, I'd have to harness and leash them up to get them out to the run, and then again to get them in again. Tasha takes off if she is free, she doesn't need an excuse like a squirrel, lol.

mrspunkysmom
07-14-2012, 10:40 PM
While a dog run may be your solution, do consider this. I love being able to open the back door and let the dogs out. If I had a run, I'd have to harness and leash them up to get them out to the run, and then again to get them in again. Tasha takes off if she is free, she doesn't need an excuse like a squirrel, lol.

Sandie, I never thought of that. My neighbor has an indoor/outdoor dog. She put up a chain-link fence over a small area that attaches to the back of the house. That means that she can just let the dog out.

That plastic covered wire fence of yours looks interesting.

moosmom
07-15-2012, 05:43 AM
No bashing here.

We had two Airedales growing up. We had a fenced in yard, but Tinker's Terror was ALWAYS getting out. We put up a fence and he always managed to get out. My Dad put up an electric fence. He only turned it on ONCE. Just enough for Tinker to get the idea that everytime he tried to get out, he'd get zapped. Tinker did get zapped once and that's all it took. My Dad turned the fence off and never used it again.

That's may be all it'll take. I don't like those "invisible" fencing things, as your dog could be a target for other animals that don't have the electronic collar.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out!

buttercup132
08-06-2012, 09:39 PM
We do want to protect our dog, because it's family.Then don't get one, it will not keep other animals out and the chances of it keeping your dog in are slim given he is mixed with a hound.
I really don't blame the other forum but hey thats just me and I'm a very blunt person.
Get a chain spot or a cable run to keep him contained.

Varga
08-06-2012, 10:59 PM
I'd never use anything that emits an electric shock on my dog. I've heard countless horror stories where the device gets faulty and shocks too much or gives continues shock. Really any kind of shock collar would not be safe to have on the dog when he's not supervised - just in case it malfunctions - so where is the use of an electric fence then.
I also admit that I personally HATE the feeling of getting an electric shock (like when I get static shock etc.), so I am biased for sure. It just is one of the worst pains imaginable for me - yes, despite that it doesn't last that long - so I just could not justify doing that to my dog when I know for sure that can't stand the pain myself.

buttercup132
08-07-2012, 11:16 AM
I'd never use anything that emits an electric shock on my dog. I've heard countless horror stories where the device gets faulty and shocks too much or gives continues shock. Really any kind of shock collar would not be safe to have on the dog when he's not supervised - just in case it malfunctions - so where is the use of an electric fence then.
I also admit that I personally HATE the feeling of getting an electric shock (like when I get static shock etc.), so I am biased for sure. It just is one of the worst pains imaginable for me - yes, despite that it doesn't last that long - so I just could not justify doing that to my dog when I know for sure that can't stand the pain myself.
:rolleyes:It's not a shock it's a high level of vibration.
The lowest setting would feel like a phone vibrating.

Pinot's Mom
08-07-2012, 11:25 AM
First, just to be clear, you're talking about an 'invisible' not an 'electric' fence - correct? I just want to make sure, because my answer would be very different.

The only exposure I've had to an 'invisible' fence was the Shepherd across the way. There are very strict covenants regarding fencing in our neighborhood, and they could not have a fence. The German Shepherd, Jasmine, did quite well with it; BUT, after the family moved away, we talked to Sharon, who owned the dog, and she discovered after they moved that Jasmine had been blind for some time and they didn't know it. It seems Jas knew the property/house so well she didn't need sight. So, I don't know how much of the behaviour modification was the fence and how much was the blindness.

Sorry; that probably didn't help much, but it's the only exposure I've had to an invisible fence.

Varga
08-07-2012, 07:43 PM
:rolleyes:It's not a shock it's a high level of vibration.
The lowest setting would feel like a phone vibrating.

Yes, that might be. But for it to be effective the dog has to at least once feel the pain of the actual shock which comes after the vibrating. For most dogs I imagine they would have to feel the pain several times before they get the message and heed the vibrate only.

JuniorxMyxLove
08-08-2012, 11:33 AM
We use one for both of our dogs (border collie mix and then a basset). We kind of have to, though, since we aren't legally allowed to have a fence in our neighborhood (dumb rule). We've got like an acre of yard with all sorts of trees and obstacles so using a rope or anything like that wouldn't work, either.

Sadie used to get out occasionally when she was younger, if she got super focused on something and hit it at a dead run. That was only really during her demon days, though. It did take a while for her to understand that the little beep meant that she needed to stop...she got a shock quite a few times when she was younger.Now that she's grown up and chilled out a little, it works fantastic (half the time I forget to even put the collar on her, haha. She just knows where the boundaries are).

It works great for Babs...I don't think she's EVER gotten out of the yard. She hears the beep and backs off.

We'll leave them out there for a few hours (as long as they're not at the door asking to come in) but there's always someone nearby/on the ground floor to make sure they don't get out. I still wouldn't trust them out there completely unsupervised...we have a lot of deer and turkeys come through our yard and I wouldn't put it past Sadie to chase them right out of the yard.

buttercup132
08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Yes, that might be. But for it to be effective the dog has to at least once feel the pain of the actual shock which comes after the vibrating. For most dogs I imagine they would have to feel the pain several times before they get the message and heed the vibrate only.You should really educate yourself if your going to try and argue a point.
It is not meant for pain and does not cause pain, if something was buzzing at your neck at a high speed it would be uncomfortable and get your attention.

Shock collar USED to be used centuries ago but times have changed, do you really think they would able to be sold if they caused the dog so much pain?

Lady's Human
08-08-2012, 03:26 PM
You should really educate yourself if your going to try and argue a point.
It is not meant for pain and does not cause pain, if something was buzzing at your neck at a high speed it would be uncomfortable and get your attention.

Shock collar USED to be used centuries ago but times have changed, do you really think they would able to be sold if they caused the dog so much pain?

Centuries ago shock collars didn't exist, as the most advanced electronic device was a leyden jar.

They are still quite common, and the first hit I got when searching for an electric fence was (drum roll please) a fence utilizing a shock collar for compliance.

Catty1
08-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Rachel - get 2 x 4s, a roll or two of wire fencing and build a dog run. Even better if a dog door leads from the house to the run. I understand from others that it can be done inexpensively, and you can use it for a long time. You can always take your doggies on walks and runs outside the "run".:)

buttercup132
08-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Centuries ago shock collars didn't exist, as the most advanced electronic device was a leyden jar.

They are still quite common, and the first hit I got when searching for an electric fence was (drum roll please) a fence utilizing a shock collar for compliance.
I meant decades not centuries ;)
A lot of companies still call them shock collars but they are not, collars that emit a electric shock are not sold.
The only thing they would be referring to is like a static shock type collar which is again not painful, uncomfortable yes but again like I said you can't sell things that cause the dogs that much pain.

It's just like people who think pinch collars are cruel and painful, they are just uneducated and mis informed.

Varga
08-08-2012, 06:23 PM
A lot of companies still call them shock collars but they are not, collars that emit a electric shock are not sold.
The only thing they would be referring to is like a static shock type collar which is again not painful, uncomfortable yes but again like I said you can't sell things that cause the dogs that much pain.

It's just like people who think pinch collars are cruel and painful, they are just uneducated and mis informed.

That is simply incorrect. Shock collars do emit electric shock. A static shock is still an electric shock. It hurts - that's the point and that's why it works.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_collar

Shock collars are sold as shock collars because they give electric shock. If they didn't give electric shock it would be false advertising. If it is a vibrate only collar it would be sold as such. Some shock collars do have a vibrate function too but they are still shock collars since they are capable of giving an electric shock.

buttercup132
08-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Your using Wikipedia as a source of information..?

A static shock is not the same as a electric shock, are you telling me getting shocked from your carpet is the same as getting shocked by a electric fence?

And since your using Wiki as your info source it says right here

Go ask some people in Shutzhund and hunters who use them to train their dogs to hunt hogs I'm sure they will tell you different as these people would not be wanting to cause pain to their dogs to train them.

Alysser
08-08-2012, 09:12 PM

Shock Collars DO emit an electrical shock. It isn't strong enough to cause pain, it's supposed to be a correction for behavior modification training. Why else would they be called SHOCK collars? Collars that emit a vibration or tone are called Vibrational or Tonal Collars. Mikey has a Vibration Collar, which I used for boundary training with him when I was inexperienced with dog training and my mom was getting really frustrated with him peeing in the same spot in one room. The box of his collar said Vibration Collar on it. The fact that they sell some with the auditory option, the vibration option, and the shock option is proof that they do sell collars that shock.

Vibration more or less surprises them. I am not completely against Vibration Collars, but there are more effective and positive ways to train a dog. These collars often seem like the "Easy Way Out", and I honestly don't think I'd ever use it again unless I was in the same situation where my parents were threatening to get rid of my dog.

Lady's Human
08-08-2012, 09:50 PM

A static shock is not the same as a electric shock, are you telling me getting shocked from your carpet is the same as getting shocked by a electric fence?

Go ask some people in Shutzhund and hunters who use them to train their dogs to hunt hogs I'm sure they will tell you different as these people would not be wanting to cause pain to their dogs to train them.

A static shock IS an electric shock.

The difference between the two is semantics, in terms of physics they are the same, excited electrons searching for a path to ground.

Varga
08-08-2012, 10:41 PM

As Lady's Human already said - now we're just arguing semantics. But yes, I do say that getting a static shock is the same as getting shocked by an electric fence. At least the one's I've seen back home used for horses... I'm sure if we're talking, like, prison security or whatever it's a totally different thing and it gives more of a burn than a shock, so in those cases it can't really be compared. Or if we're talking dinosaur fencing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEefiEEkPbk) ;)

But yes, the shocks I've gotten from the horse fences and the ones I get from touching agility equipment, after running around on AstroTurf, both hurt equally much to me. I don't care if one is called static shock and the other electric shock - still equally unpleasant.

sasvermont
08-09-2012, 07:17 AM
I have a wireless system that I have yet to install. It creates a field that the dog can stay within and the dog gets a shock if it goes beyond. It is a signal rather than wires. I keep thinking about installing it, as it is easy, but I just haven't tried it yet.

I spent a week with friends, just last week and they have two Chesapeake retrievers and an electric fence. It worked fine with them. The dogs stayed within the areas just fine. I guess lots depends on the dogs and how badly they want OUT.

I think Prue would do just fine with the wireless system. Prue doesn't like to be outside without me, so, so far there hasn't been any need to use the wireless system.

I would consider the underground if I were you.

I also have friends whose dog doesn't know that the system isn't turned on and it obeys the old rules, not going past the wired area. It's really funny to watch the dog come to a screeching halt.