PDA

View Full Version : Your occupations

Vio&Juni
11-19-2002, 09:37 AM
Well, Cataholic's thread made me think about humans' occupations. It's interesting what kind of people are pet-people? Is there a link between what we do and how we like pets?

I am a translator (English-Romanian-Russian). BTW, my Juni speaks all of these languages.

11-19-2002, 09:49 AM
I used to teach in elementary schools ; I gave up this job when we got our kids , because I hated to tell them "mom is busy" everytime they wanted to play !!!
So now , I am a full-time mom , and take care of my hubby (of course ;) :D ) , my son Jo (17) , my daughter Indra (13) , and my pets Maya and Inka (cats) , Jasper (guinea pig) , Billie (bun) and many fishes ! See , I am quite busy (and when I am not , I am posting on PT ...:rolleyes: :D ) !http://www.uselessgraphics.com/school3.gif

http://www.uselessgraphics.com/momday2.gif

ramanth
11-19-2002, 09:54 AM
I'm a Web Tech for a local Law School.

I've always loved animals and I pursued an art degree.

Chinadoll
11-19-2002, 10:58 AM
I think my number one occupation is care taker. I take care of Joey, the kitties, the ferrets, whatever my family should happen to need(from running to the bank to taking care of my little sister, I'm the one they call)

Aside from finishing up school with a degree in Communications, minor in Psychology, every job I've had since high school has been as some sort of secretary(again I think that fits into the caretaker occuaption as I take care of anything and everything in the office that no one else wants to :p )

rosethecopycat
11-19-2002, 11:00 AM
My husband and I are both professional musicians in the Orlando area. That gives us plenty of time at home with the boys. We do big convention band/ award shows. When we travel to do a big show, we are gone maybe 20 hours, and the boys are well behaved and anxious to see us when we get in. They don't seem to mind our lack of 'schedule' even if we get in at 6:30 am. So, keep your eyes open if your company ever sends you to Orlando for a convention. You might see us groovin' in the band!
Also, we did many years (12) on the cruise ships. We saw the whole world, and mainly I noticed how some parts of the world treat their cats (or disregard them) Many heatbreaking experiences out there when I knew I couldn't help a little kitty. But, I did bring meat off the ship(an offense) to give them sometimes, hoping to 'hold them over' until someone possibly helped.

Still makes me sad to think of them. I remember their faces. And I have pictures.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-19-2002, 11:21 AM
I'm an office manager for an electrical contractor in the fine city of Chicago. My boss and I are the only ones in the office, and he is gone most of the time, which is what allows me the free time to enjoy PT. :) However, since there's only me to do all the work here in the office, sometimes it gets quite hectic and it's hard for me to keep up with my daily work. This usually happens when I take vacation since there's no one to do my work when I'm gone, so it just piles up. :( I can't complain though as my boss treats me well, which helps to justify the hour commute each way, every day - ugh!

smokey the elder
11-20-2002, 07:40 AM
I'm a chemist, between jobs at the moment. I've always loved animals; went from 2 to 4 cats shortly after moving to Peekskill. I got involved with a local rescue in 2001.

sasvermont
11-20-2002, 07:47 AM
I am an office administrator for a law firm in Burlington. I had this same position in Philadelphia for many years. I am very tired of it, needless to say. I have had my share of nasty clients, immature lawyers and miserable staff. Is it Friday yet?

:rolleyes:

lailamara
11-20-2002, 07:52 AM
I'm an elementary school teacher teaching grade 2 for the first time. I have no life right now. If I didn't have the cats at home I'd be at school 24/7 as there is so much to do.

Barbara
11-20-2002, 07:59 AM
I am an editorial director in a travel publishing company (although I am a physicist). It's a great job as I have to work with people from all over the world. The more it's stressy the more I need little extra escapes like a quick PT mail. It's especially stressy in October-December when we prepare our new books for the spring travel season.

neko1
11-20-2002, 08:21 AM
I'm a vet tech. I've been doing this for 2-1/2 years.

Edwina's Secretary
11-20-2002, 09:10 AM
I work in human resources for a small telecommunications company. I am also on the faculty of an organization which teaches compensation and benefit

The economy right now does not make human resources a very fun job. :( :(

But I've been dong this long enough to know things will change!

Logan
11-20-2002, 09:16 AM
I work for a California bank, making small business loans. One of the nicest perks I have is that my office is in my home, and most of my work is done by Fed EX, Fax, email, and of course, the dreaded telephone! But it is a great job and I have met people all over the country as a result. :)

Corinna
11-20-2002, 09:23 AM
I have had lots of jobs and learned a lot of skills since I had to work after hubbys cancer (medical bill ) Now we own a bussiness that I work at home doing. I can do calls and email clients . takes about 2 hours a day. Hope to have hubby able to be home by March then the dogs will really be spoiled.

All Creatures Great And Small
11-20-2002, 01:05 PM
I've mentioned my occupation before on other threads, but I am a department manager in a "large discount department store chain" which I will not name, because I have to "represent" my store even when I'm not there, and keeping it anonymous means I can really let loose and tell it like it really is:p without casting a shadow on my employer. I shouldn't complain about my job, because I never went to college (only person in my family who didn't - boooooo:o ), and I'm making pretty good money anyway, but working in retail SUCKS most of the time. (I had "issues" in high school, one of which was never knowing what I wanted to do career-wise; the other was failing almost every class despite having a very high IQ - go figure.) Then again, my sisters who did graduate didn't fare much better than me - one is unemployed (and insane), and the other is still in school pursuing her PhD and unemployed, and very stressed out about school. I am very definitely looking forward to retirement, because I started full-time at the store when I was 17, and I'm getting a little burned out. (24 years in, and 24 more to go - AAAAAGH!!)
We have computers at work, but they are ancient, running Windows NT from about 1994, and have no Internet access, to keep us drones from wasting the company's time and money:rolleyes: Where I work, sitting down is a felony - get your butt out there on the salesfloor!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :p

wolflady
11-20-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by rosethecopycat
My husband and I are both professional musicians in the Orlando area. ...

How cool! that sounds like so much fun. Do you play an instrument? What do you play? I didn't persue it professionally, but I loved the band in college and was in 4 different bands, plus the honerary band sorority(Tau Beta Sigma)! :eek: LOL :D

How neat it is to hear about other PTer's professions!:D I work in a small startup type company that specializes in e-services (B2B ecommerce, eFax, eHub...etc). My title is Product Applications Engineer... :confused: Who knows what that's really supposed to mean? LOL :rolleyes: What I do is work in 3 different departments: Customer Support, Pre-Sales & Mktg and IT. I train customers on our products: both in person and over the web via web comferencing, create sales collateral and presentations and the company inter/intra nets. If you look at our company website (http://www.sandhillsystems.com) (which I really need to update!! :o ) you may even see me in the banner at the top of the screen! The banner changes every time the page is refreshed or if you go to a different page. I have put various company employees in the banner rather than random people. I thought it would be a fun touch :)
I'm also in the process of learning BizTalk since a lot of our products are going to be integrated with it. I am also learning and going to implement the SharePoint Server Portal.
It's a fun job, because there are many things to do and I get to interact with different people and learn a lot. The downside is my commute from you know where and the cost of living of the Bay Area!! :rolleyes:

I really like what I'm doing now, but I really have a call for an animal-related career. I may persue that sometime down the road. Maybe something in rescue, behavior, or vet tech:)
:D

NoahsMommy
11-20-2002, 03:08 PM
I work for a large insurance company as a web developer. I work in the Catastrophe department (natural disasters) doing technical projects and such. I also work with our company's Mentoring Program, which is something I really like doing. I love my boss and the people I work with...something that makes me enjoy coming to work...

One day, I'll be done with school and will be working in a "Children's Hospital" with terminally ill children, I'm really looking forward to doing something that calls to my heart.

Glacier
11-20-2002, 03:14 PM
Currently, I am a rehabilitation Counsellor at the worker's compensation board. I help get injured worker's back to work and co-ordinate their medical and rehab care. I just started doing this in July. For seven years previously, I was a child protection social worker.

Edwina's Secretary
11-20-2002, 03:18 PM
, I'm really looking forward to doing something that calls to my heart.

That is so well described! Earlier this week I was talking with one of my old "running mates" about what we want to do in our next job. I said I wanted to work -- in hr -- but with a non-profit. (A friend of mine does hr with the Lyric Opera -- sounds so fun!) Anyway...he asked me why a non-profit? -- since on top of everything they don't pay as well. I blathered on about vocation/avocation -- pride in who I do things for as well as what I do...blah,. blah, blah.

You have perfectly described what I was trying to say ...do something that calls to my heart!

Uabassoon
11-20-2002, 03:27 PM
Right now I'm a college student working odd jobs. I'm a music major so I do a few gigs when I get a chance. I work for a theatre leauge, which does productions here in Tucson and Phoenix, so when a musical comes into town I'm usually playing in the pitt. I'm also a member of the Blazer Quintet (woodwind quintet) and Apacalypso (which is a small steel drum ensemble) and we play weddings and such. Then I also work for a pet sitting company and right now my main job (the one that pays the bills) is working for a research marketing firm.

jenluckenbach
11-20-2002, 07:04 PM
I am a dog/cat groomer. Have been for 18 1/2 years.

Cataholic
11-20-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
I am an office administrator for a law firm in Burlington. I had this same position in Philadelphia for many years. I am very tired of it, needless to say. I have had my share of nasty clients, immature lawyers and miserable staff. Is it Friday yet?

:rolleyes:

SAS- ain't you so SASSY? My mom 'warned' me that someone had unkind words about attorneys..and it was YOU!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Why, I never! Define "immature" for me...

Yup, I am a lawyer, totally love it, and am suited for the job..fortunetly or unfortunetly, you decide. Small firm, general litigation, enough action to keep me hoppin' , not enough to make me crazy (I am not!). I was a claims adjuster, til I went back to school..

Efrat
11-21-2002, 01:17 AM
I work in the media relations deppartment of the weizmann institute of science which is I think the most successful one in Israel. I manage the archives of the department and update our website with our new publications.

wolf_Q
11-21-2002, 01:53 AM
Right now I work at Petco as a Bath and Brusher and I also do Pet Portraits. I used to work at a Gas Station. I'm poor. :(

I'd like to major in art in college. I have no clue how I'm going to have a "career" in the "real world." I'm a total loser, and I have absolutely no skills, especially no people skills........*sigh* I guess I'll just have to wait for that rich husband lol. ;)

koxka
11-21-2002, 01:54 AM
Hi Efrat , Weizmann Inst. is well known
all over the world , but you already know that. Would you mind post the Institut'URL , or send it to me via PM?
I'd apreciate! And my father even more!
Thanks .

OK .I'm a kind of Production Manager in a very small company which trade with chemical and pharmaceutical products for animal food an care. I'm the responsible one for EVERYTHING that happens there.
Plus I'm the only girl there and it's not fun, not easy. I feel lonely I'd appreciate another girl there to keep me company.

"That calls to my heart" is make ceramics, I lost my change some time ago. I was a hard decision it's no easy to earn you life in artistic work.

popcornbird
11-21-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Right now I work at Petco as a Bath and Brusher and I also do Pet Portraits. I used to work at a Gas Station. I'm poor. :(

I'd like to major in art in college. I have no clue how I'm going to have a "career" in the "real world." I'm a total loser, and I have absolutely no skills, especially no people skills........*sigh* I guess I'll just have to wait for that rich husband lol. ;)

Awww come on! You're job is so much fun and not bad at all for an 18 year old! Do you know that most kids your age don't even work? They're too busy studying. :) You still have your parents at home to feed you and clothe you, so don't worry about the job now. Worry about it when you're older and on your own. :) As for now, enjoy all the pets you meet at Petco. :D Hmmm..............well, since your a girl, if you get a "rich" husband, you may not even have to work. :D Don't worry just yet! LOL!

As for me, I'm am currently just a high school student, but I hope to be an elementry school teacher some day and a part-time artist. :D

Nomilynn
11-21-2002, 03:02 AM
I'm a student, and I can't even find a part time job. :( The economy in this province is sad, sad, sad.. thank god for my wonderful parents and a trust fund scholarship!

When I'm out of school I'm going to teach high school English

Terminalvelocity
11-21-2002, 06:21 AM
I'm a retired bookkeepper. Retired! Its fantastic! The best job in the whole wide world!!
I get to spend 24/7 with my cats and on the computer. Whatever I want to do when I want to do it. It sounds selfish, and it is, but I've earned it.

Pam
11-21-2002, 06:45 AM
I work for an ophthalmologist now on a part-time basis doing medical transcription and helping out the receptionists. I was doing this full time and more heavily involved with the patients but cut back to part time in '97. I really enjoy my hours but do sometimes miss the interaction with the patients. Many of ours are senior citizens who have sought us out for their cataract surgery. The downside is we become so attached to some of them and so many have now passed away. One couple in particular was so sweet and would send us postcards when they went on vacation. When the husband passed away we all went to his funeral. Others shower us with "goodies from the kitchen." Of course there are the grouchy folks but I find that the sweet ones far outnumber the grouches.

Vio&Juni
11-21-2002, 06:45 AM
I was almost sure that most of us work either in offices (work with people) or veterinary clinics - it's true. I sure hope all the professions shouldn't exclude love for animals. I am glad that also at any age people choose to share their lives, homes with pets.

Cataholic
11-21-2002, 08:41 AM

Sounds to me like you need a good swift kick in the pants! Don't be so down on yourself!!!!! How old are you? Where are you in the education process? What makes you happy?

rosethecopycat
11-21-2002, 09:00 AM
Wolf_ Q,

I was much poorer thatn you at age 25! I ate my share of fish sticks. I couldn't imagine myself EVER owning a house AND still being a musician. But now I'm 41, and have two houses. I'm playing music (sax) for a living and I'm trying to figure out a way to do it forever. (even when I look like a granny playing horn, hopefully I'll still rock)
I didn't 'marry' money in fact I married 'debt' so it has been a long journey.
Hey, I think I'd like your job, pet grooming. Getting to interact with all sorts of animals.
You have to make it happen for you.
:)

Edwina's Secretary
11-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Cataholic -- as I am in Human Resources I work with lawyers all the time (in fact am in the middle of a "situation" right now with lawyers.) Here's the way it goes....my lawyer is smart, clever, ethical, and right. The other sides lawyer is unethical, a snake, and wrong! :D ;) :D

Life can be very simple sometimes.

luckies4me
11-21-2002, 12:08 PM
I am a veterinary techinician but also do grooming. Right now I am not working because I am a stay at home mom and rat breeder.

I also run a small scale wildlife rehab and exotic animal rescue. :)

aly
11-21-2002, 02:32 PM
I'm an Adoption Counselor / Animal Technician at an animal shelter. I enjoy it so much. I don't make much money, but I am doing what I love and what fulfills my life. I have also been blessed with 2 wonderful dogs from the job :D :D :D

I'm going to school and doing some internships to study Canine Behavior. When I get my degree and certifications, I want to be a behaviorist but just work strictly with shelter animals and rescue groups. I've looked into it and I will be making pretty decent money AND doing what I love :)

luckies4me
11-21-2002, 04:26 PM
ALY~

That sounds wonderful! I hope you make it through and are able to help all those pets in need. I went to your site and I love it. Keep up the dog work!

Lillycat
11-21-2002, 05:18 PM
my life has always revolved around children...i have directed a daycare center, taught in the head start program and now have been in public education for many years in different areas....mostly as a kindergarten teacher and for the last few years as a first grade teacher in the urban sector. i love what i do, but it has been getting more difficult over the years to make the kind of difference i wish to make.....still love it tho.;)

Miss Meow
11-21-2002, 11:12 PM
I was a career consultant for an IT company, helping people through an IT entry course and recruiting them into client companies when they had finished (and were ready for the interview process). Could have been the greatest job, but the IT sector fell in a heap and the company had to take anybody who had $10,000 for the course. There were lots of parents who forked out the money just to get rid of their children for three months :eek: . Dealing with people who don't want to work was hard. I have no idea what to do next. Well, I have a few ideas but the economy, start-up costs, fear of failure etc etc are all factors right now.

Sara luvs her Tinky
11-22-2002, 12:40 AM
I am a shipping and receiving coordinator at Nestle'. Unfortunatelly for me the economy is so bad .. cause I am desperately trying to get out of here... after 2.5 years and all the free candy I could ask for ... 16 extra pounds.. and I am ready to go. ... I am in school now to get my business management degree so I can open my own pet hotel... I can't wait... I will be getting paid to play with animals all day...which as perfectly put already... it calls to my heart... I am pretty sure it will be successful because there are NONE in my area... I would love to work for one now but the closest one is about a 45 minute drive from my house... so Nestle' it will be for now.:eek:

wolf_Q
11-22-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic

Sounds to me like you need a good swift kick in the pants! Don't be so down on yourself!!!!! How old are you? Where are you in the education process? What makes you happy?

LOL.

I'm 18. I graduated from high school in May 2002. Actually, I graduated with honors, and had a 3.9 gpa. I had no money saved up for college though, and my parents won't pay for any of it. I was really hoping to get a good art scholarship, and I think I devoted too much time to that...and well, I didn't get it...depressing.....anyway, so I did not end up at college this year.

I enjoy the pet grooming, but I'm not sure if I can do it. The other groomers say I'm "too nice." lol. What I would really LOVE is to open up some sort of pet store....not much market for it in Utah....buuut....like that has grooming, day care, and I could sell my own pet art and crafts. Oh boy what a dream, lol, unfortunately this would require $$$! Anyone wanna donate? ha ha

I don't know. Just clueless here. I'm not sure how to make a profession out of art. I can't TALK to people, it SUCKS being shy!! :( Sorry for rambling on here....

LoudLou
11-22-2002, 02:10 AM
My husband and I work from home. He's a Web Designer. Mostly for businesses related to the Music Industry. We both do Tour Itineraries for musicians and Backstage Pass Design. We also help manage a small band that is hopefully on the rise. Marketing and Convention Planning and Concert Promotion on a small scale. I also clean one little ice cream shop and help out at my sisters' coffee shop..... Busy but it keeps me out of trouble.;)

Vio&Juni
11-22-2002, 03:27 AM
I limited myself to say what I do now, not also what I dream to. I am glad people shared their dreams, it makes me share mine too.
I always wanted to have a flower shop - a nursery-garden. I love plants and I would make a lot of money too. Right now, I need $$$, of course. Fortunately, translations are paid well too and I manage to save a lot.

wayne0214
11-22-2002, 07:04 AM
I am retired, from the electronics parts wholesale industry, mostly in Tucson Ariz. Although for the past 6 years I worked as a maintenance tech, and lawns keeper in central Calif. Being retired, is the best, I do what I want, and when I want especially I enjoy talking on the internet. My 12 furkids force me to get off of my butt and clean up after them:D , Otherwise, I would become a couch potato -for the first time in my life. I have only become a cat "fancier" after learning about my kitties on this web site. I guess I have been a cat-lover all of my life, but never took the time to understand them or to get to know them. Now, I couldn't live without a furkid family around to care for each other. I enjoy watching the Pet Psychic on Animal Planet. There are times when I can communicate with my pets in the same manner,and get similiar results. ;)

emily_the_spoiled
11-22-2002, 12:15 PM
I have been one of those people that can never quite make up their mind about what they want to do.:( First I went to university and became a pharmacist. After working for (quite) a few years I decided that I was burned out (very very badly:() and I went back to university and got a business degree (MBA). But then I really didn't know what I wanted to do with that, so I went back AGAIN :eek: :eek: . Some people would call me masochistic or very sick, but I am now finishing up my PhD in economics. I am on schedule to finish up in early 2003, but then I will really have to make up my mind about "what I want to be when I grow up".

wolf_Q: Not everyone knows what they want to do when they are 18 (I am a fine example of that). Don't be so hard on yourself, most of the time it is just a matter of perseverance and patience before you hit upon your passion :D

Cataholic
11-22-2002, 01:19 PM
Wolf Q- I am not going to let you off that easily, and as EmilyTSpoiled (and overly educated...LOL) said, not everyone knows what they want at 18..or if they do, it will prolly change by 25.

The thing that gets me though is doing 'nothing' towards ANY goal. I think we sometimes get so overwhelmed with the prospect of a four year program that we end up doing nothing towards it. And, a four year program is not for everyone. But, having said that, you better have a trade you can rely on. I think you need one or the other, and even having both doesn't guarentee you a job, career, or happiness.

I was very very fortunate- I had the vast majority of my undergrad paid for by my parents. I took out loans for law school, and am hugely indebt for it. I lived with my mom during school, and she paid most of my expenses...THANKS LILLLYCAT! But, loans are available. I would do it again- loans and all, because for me, the education was worth it.

So, if art is your passion, then look towards a fine art degree...with an emphasis in arts...or, get a business degree, I don't think it really matters...just get some more education, experience behind you...develop yourself more....learn ways to combat your shyness...we all can't be loud, assertive, and opinionated like me, but, maybe you can come out of your shell a little bit, with exposure.

There is that silly saying, "beauty is as beauty does" and the more you cap on yourself, the more you are going to stay down. I have a sister that was a little clam. She still is, kinda...but, she really works on it. She has come really far..course, she is nearly 35...but, I think anyone can do it. You certainly can write, and I wouldn't have guessed you as a shy person....

Maybe with the onset of the New Year, you can develop some goals, little ones, bigger ones, etc...and shoot for them!!! I hope you don't take anything I say as criticism...I just want to encourage you as others have encouraged me. Maybe you can move in with my mom and she can pay all your expenses, too!!!! Ha hah ahhahahahhahh

Cataholic
11-22-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
Some people would call me masochistic or very sick, but I am now finishing up my PhD in economics.

BOTH, you are both...:D :eek: :D

NoahsMommy
11-22-2002, 01:40 PM
I enjoy the pet grooming, but I'm not sure if I can do it. The other groomers say I'm "too nice." lol. What I would really LOVE is to open up some sort of pet store....not much market for it in Utah....buuut....like that has grooming, day care, and I could sell my own pet art and crafts. Oh boy what a dream, lol, unfortunately this would require $$$! Anyone wanna donate? ha ha

I don't know. Just clueless here. I'm not sure how to make a profession out of art. I can't TALK to people, it SUCKS being shy!! :( Sorry for rambling on here....
OK...I have several comments that I hope can help...

1. About the shy thing...join Toastmasters or another group. I know it's hard, but you need to make the decision to DO something about it. I'm really serious. I had to do it, and YOU have to do it to survive in this world. I got a job (where I work now) when I was 19 and was forced (I forced myself) to join Toastmasters because I was too afraid to give my opinion. This led to not liking my job, loss of my sence of value and not being very happy during the day. Toastmasters is a VERY supportive environment and after over 4 years I am finally getting my second designation and can't begin to tell you the conifidence I've gained.

2. Get a loan and go to school. There are many, many, many grants, loans and scholarships out there for anything you want. It's amazing how much funding there is out there.

3. I would suggest getting a Business degree with a minor in Art. That way, you can totally fullfull your dream job. (Which, by the way, sounds WONDERFUL!) :)

4. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. You are 18 and have a whole life ahead of you. Take a Career Planning class at a local community college...have you considered starting there? It's MUCH less money and you have time to find yourself.

5. Keep on keeping on...do the things you love and don't get discouraged...it's hard working and going to school AND paying for college. I do it and it's very hard...but I have my goals set and they will happen eventually.

emily_the_spoiled
11-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Catoholic, there are many days when I know that I must ahve been delusional when I agreed to enter the program. :D :D . Although some of the work that we have done has made a difference at both the national and state level. It has made people think about some of the consequences of some of the health policy that is made in this country. That is what makes it worthwhile, even though there are plenty of days when I am pulling my hair out ;)

emily_the_spoiled
11-22-2002, 02:02 PM
Wolf_Q,

Some of the more interesting things I have done over the years have been related to short courses that I have taken through a local community college. These have given me exposure to a wide variety of other potential areas for work. Just because you are young is no reason to sample some of the options that are out there. For example, the Americore program pays you a stipend to perform community work for one year and then provides money towards a year of post-secondary education. So there are plenty of opportunities out there, although you might need to use a little imagination to find them :)

Chinadoll
11-22-2002, 02:07 PM
What is Toastmasters?

Is it some sort of group to overcome shyness?

I was extremely shy...still am to an extent. I guess that was part of the reason I majored in Communications...to push myself to get over the shyness...can't tell you how many presentations and speeches I sweated through.

The funny thing is if I was talking about subjects that truly interested me(as oppsoed to those assigned) like animal caretaking, spay/neuter pets, popular books, dance I was perfectly at ease. I guess I'm just weird.

Uabassoon
11-22-2002, 02:12 PM
The funny thing is if I was talking about subjects that truly interested me(as oppsoed to those assigned) like animal caretaking, spay/neuter pets, popular books, dance I was perfectly at ease. I guess I'm just weird.

I know exactly what you mean. I used to volunteer for an HIV clinic (eventually stopped because I my emotions couldn't handle it anymore). But one thing I did was safe sex workshops, I could get up in front of a large group of people and talk about sex and safe sex and those kinds of things. But when I meet someone new on a one to one level I just stand there and don't say anything because I'm too shy to talk.

Cataholic
11-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Toast Masters is a national organization that assists individuals with speech related topics...like, working on speaking in large groups, improving your presentation skills, etc. I think EVERY medium sized city would have at least ONE group. Cincinnati has four or five toastmaster's. They meet differnent times, places.

Edwina's Secretary
11-22-2002, 02:28 PM
When I was in college I had to give a speech at a commencement activity. I was HORRIBLE. I sounded like I had just run a two minute mile. I decided to take public speaking classes.

I'm now practiced at public speaking -- do it all the time (I teach as a SME). I think of it as a performance. But without a script I'm like UABASSOON...

But when I meet someone new on a one to one level I just stand there and don't say anything because I'm too shy to talk

What I've learned about one-on-one conversation is....ask questions! It is far easier (and more fun) to ask questions and learn about other people. What brings you here? Are you from ____? What was it like growing up here (or there)?

BTW....I think Toastmasters is wonderful and often recommend it for employees.

Cataholic
11-22-2002, 02:33 PM
And, something I tell people...when you are nervous...it is soooo much of an ice breaker to say to someone, "I 'm nervous, large crowds get to me" or something similar. There are very few people that won't go out of their way to assist another.

I was told when I first started out as a claims adjuster to let the other person know I was 'new' cause it creates a situation where you are immediately put at ease, and the other person 'wants' to help.

Wolf Q- are you sorry now that you just didn't say you were so on target with life, loved large crowds, and blah blah? Who knew we would all jump in to help? See? That proves my point!!! Put your self out there, and let others know what is going on...the world will rush to help you...he he he...:)

NoahsMommy
11-22-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Chinadoll
What is Toastmasters?
Is it some sort of group to overcome shyness?

The funny thing is if I was talking about subjects that truly interested me(as oppsoed to those assigned) like animal caretaking, spay/neuter pets, popular books, dance I was perfectly at ease. I guess I'm just weird. Toastmasters is an international public speaking club. We have two clubs in the office I work in and have six clubs in our offices in California alone. If anyone is interested, the website is www.toastmasters.org

I've given about eighteen speeches and so far have been nervous for each one. Just not too bad anymore...there were times I would even show up or pray to get into a car accident. Those fears led me to do a speech on the fear of public speaking...it's Number One!! Even over dying!

The best part about these clubs is that most times, everyone else is just as scared as you are. My biggest challenge now is working on word choice when I speak...I tend to hurry through my speeches.

All the speeches you give, you can talk about whatever you want...just in a certain format or context. I've given many speeches on my cats! My last speech had to be a demonstration, so I demonstrated how to "Grow a Healthy Cat". I brought in lots of cat stuff and talked all about it...I even went over my time of 10 minutes.

OK, my commerical is now over... :D

Chinadoll
11-22-2002, 03:10 PM
hmmm..toastmasters sounds interesting...depneding on how brave I am, I'll check into it.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But when I meet someone new on a one to one level I just stand there and don't say anything because I'm too shy to talk
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've learned about one-on-one conversation is....ask questions! It is far easier (and more fun) to ask questions and learn about other people. What brings you here? Are you from ____? What was it like growing up here (or there)?

I'm so much better talking to people one on one than in larger groups. Yep, when I run out of topics to talk about I start with the questions.

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-22-2002, 03:11 PM
I am the IT Manager/ Network Administrator/ Senior Programmer for a Fortune 500 company. I do not work in head quarters, but in one of their GA branches.

In my free time, I coach rowing to kids and heavily involved in cannine rescue. I also am a mentor for girls with eating disorders.