PDA

View Full Version : I'm shrinking!

catnapper
07-09-2012, 02:57 PM
I gained too much weight over the past few years, and the bulk of it over the fall and winter last year. I was so heavy that I had to huff and puff when going up and down the steps with the laundry baasket. I had heel spurs that left me crippled. I was diagnosed with a myriad of health issues: High cholesterol, sugars, Trilglicerides. Arthritis in my ankle, knee, and hip. Lastly, Sleep Apnea.

In short, I was a mess.

I was so unhappy that I'd cry at the drop of a hat (severe sleep derivation didn't help the crying). I decided enough was enough -- no more excuses!

Here I was in January:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/me-1.jpg

And now, 60 pounds lost
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/Me-60-pounds-down.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/Me-profile-60-pounds-down.jpg

I took those photos two weeks ago and lost an additional 5 pounds since.

Along the way, I've learned a few things: people get jealous at other's successful weight loss. I learned its easy when you're doing it with your husband. I learned how seriously in denial we were towards our eating and exercise habits. I learned to CRAVE strawberries (something I was so-so about before). I learned to try new foods. I learned to speak up for myself and my preferences in restaraunts (which lead to me speaking up elsewhere).

I'm now down to normal sizes and feel awesome! I am almost to my goal; just 9 pounds away. I never expected to get this far! I have to laugh because so much has changed. I have had to rebuy EVERYTHING. I just ordered new glasses because my old ones kept sliding off!!! They were sized to a much wider face. I even made new necklaces, and re-beaded old ones to fit my thinner neck.

When I started it, I said I always like to think of weight loss in terms of what I know. 65 pounds is a Cameron and a Mystic. Wow. Two living beings (one human and one kitty).

Karen
07-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Congratulations, you look great, and I bet you feel even better than that!

pomtzu
07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Congratulations - you look fantastic. Keep up the good work.

Not to hijack, but my son just hit the 100 lb weight loss since last Sept, but he did the lap band. He's now where he should be. He lost a whole me. :p And yes - you're correct, as other people he knows that have had the same procedure are extremely jealous of his success, where they haven't come even close to his.

How's your hubby doing?

krazyaboutkatz
07-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Congrats!!! This is wonderful news.:D You look great and also sound so much happier. I bet you also have a lot more energy now too. Keep up the good work.:)

Kirsten
07-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Congrats, Kim, you look great - and happy! :) I know from my own experiences that it feels fantastic losing so much weight (I lost almost 90 pounds - 40 kg - within a little more than a year; from 2008 to 2009). The best thing was when I bought my first pair of jeans in a shop with "normal" sizes after I couldn't buy there for almost 10 years.

mrspunkysmom
07-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Congrats on your weight loss! I am jealous but in a good way. :D I am inspired. I'm supposed to be dieting and I actually like the foods that are good for me, but I get lazy.

It does make a difference!

:love:

Freedom
07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
HOORAY well done, you! EXCELLENT JOB!!!

Taz_Zoee
07-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Wow, you look amazing!! And I am also inspired. I am such a lazy butt. I know what I need to do, but lack the motivation to do it. I watch all the weight loss shows too. You'd think I'd get motivated, but I have a HUGE book of excuses. I wish I had someone to do it with me (boyfriend says he will but never does). I also need to lose about 50 lbs. And you did it in about 6 months............that's awesome!!
My current excuse is waiting for the new gym to open that we signed up with back in March. They were supposed to open in April. Then it was postponed to May, then June, and well.........they still are not open yet.:rolleyes: All the equipment is in, so I'm hoping to hear from them soon.

Congrats on your success!!! :D :D

Karen
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
I wish I had someone to do it with me (boyfriend says he will but never does).
Hey, we could do it together - motivate each other long distance!

Taz_Zoee
07-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Hey, we could do it together - motivate each other long distance!

I would love that! I think someone did start a thread to do that, but it died. :( And it is very easy for me to make excuses over the internet too. LOL I need someone in person to kick my butt in gear. But online motivation could help. It will be much easier once the gym opens though. It's too darn hot to exercise outside. And since I'm paying for the gym.......I WILL use it!!

Karen
07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I need to figure out where I can put my stationary bike where it won't be in the way, but WILL be usable in this apartment. I managed to use it successfully without getting too bored if I did so while watching something on TV, have to figure out some way of doing that here!

Scooter's Mom
07-09-2012, 08:45 PM
You look terrific! Congratulations!
I bet you feel great, too! :)

happylabs
07-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Wow...congrats! You look great!!!

I struggle with my weight. It seems I am on a new diet every year.

I did low carb for a year and a half and lost about 30 pounds. Then I somehow strayed and am struggling once again.

Did you follow a specific plan?

kitten645
07-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Congrats! You look amazing! Younger, healthier, happier. I'm on WW and it's working but it's a slow go. I lost 60 lbs several years ago and need to loose a few more to get to goal. It really isn't about "dieting". It's about getting sick and tired of being sick and tired! It's a lifestyle change. I know pizza will always be a treat and not part of my lifestyle. It's about choices.
Taz, if you don't mind the hike, the WW meetings I go to are right next to the old El Balazo! I know you know where that is! LOL!
One of the FEW things I like about getting older is you ARE wiser! I'm not eating differently to change how other's see me. I'm doing it to feel better. Just me. And people DO get jealous and try to undermine you. You just got to stick to your guns. I don't tell people I'm on WW. I just say what I want and that's it. And I totally agree with you that it reflects on other parts of your life. No, I don't want to supersize anything. And NO, you can't dismiss my opinions.
It also helps that I'm doing it with a friend. I'm sort of accountable that way. :) If you need some support Kim, or anyone else for that matter...please PM me.
Excellent job Kim! Love the perky do as well! Keep it up!

catnapper
07-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks everyone :love:

I am simply just logging my calories into the computer on a calorie counting/journaling website. I also log my activities. I started out on a site that just logged calories in, but I came to realize I needed to do both the calories in as well as calories out. I noticed since I started both in & out, I am eating less and much more active. My husband is the same. Its like a game: who can end the day with a higher calorie burned ratio :rolleyes: :p

Its working for him really well too. He's lost 70 pounds. It was very slow going for him in the beginning. He was logging everything, but not as accurately as he could have. He had issues with what real serving sizes were, and he said "that is a cup of mashed potatoes" without measuring (a cup logged of mashed potatoes that was actually a cup and half adds up.) Now he measures everything and knows what a cup of rice/potatoes/cereal looks like and logs accurately.

Once he got the accuracy thing down, the weight started melting off him too. It wasn't til two months ago that he started seeing real results, which is encouraging him to stick to his daily calorie limit. In the beginning, he might have ended up with 2400 calories in the log (which would have truly been 3000 because of the under-estimating thing) and he didn't really care because it was close enough to his 2000 calorie daily limit. Now, if he has a 2400 calorie day, he's really upset unless he did the extra yard work to expend the extra calories.

I start the day with my cereal and fruit. Anything else gets logged onto the computer or cell phone before I eat it to see what it does to my calorie intake (I NEED to save 200 calories for my ice cream snack at night :)) I bought a smart phone just so I can log my food. Its like checking your bank balance before splurging on a new pair of shoes. Oh? and when I started out logging everything on the smart phone? My coworkers laughed at me. Who's laughing now? hmmm?

smokey the elder
07-10-2012, 09:19 AM
That is just super. Other people who I know who have sustainably lost weight basically had to change their habits. Awareness is the key, I think. I know I have had fewer fast food meals since they started posting calorie counts...yikes and a half!

Asiel
07-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Wow-- you look fabulous. Love the new glasses, they really fit in well with the new you. Congratulations- keep up the good work.

phesina
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Well done! That's fantastic.

You deserve to be very proud of yourself!

robinh
07-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Congratulations - you look fabulous!

Don't let anyone take away the sense of accompishment for having worked so hard to get where you are.

Alysser
07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Wow, you look REALLY good!! I am so glad you found something to work for you! I am really glad to hear about your husbands results to, I remember how worried you were about him. He must be so happy now! :D

carole
07-10-2012, 08:47 PM
fantastic effort, well done, i know how hard it is , always battling with it myself, keep up the good work, and reward yourself with something nice and special, not food of course,:)

CountryWolf07
07-11-2012, 10:57 AM
That is AWESOME! You look fantastic! I am also on WW but doing it on my own. I started mid-May and it is almost mid-July so I have lost about 10 lbs. I can tell I am losing my 'double chin', my legs getting toned into shape after walking for the last 2 months, I keep track of the miles I walk, so I've done almost 75 miles after today (once I do my walk) and my arms are shrinking, and my stomach/abs are getting flatter, and most importantly, my 'mushroom top' is shrinking as well. I feel better and I look thinner as well. I walk almost everyday between 2-5 miles! I have now learned how to like going out and just walk. I quit pop! I feel great. NO more cravings for that either. I just drink water, iced tea, or coffee, and once in a while, a beer or two or a glass of wine. My boyfriend is also doing it with me. He lost about 20lbs already. Men seem to lose it faster than women! But, I couldn't be any happier. I am still needing to lose another 10lbs, but I have noticed that WW is pretty slow but it doesn't bother me. As long I'm losing weight and getting back into shape, being more active, I'm all for it. :)

Two years ago:

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/249930_193754254005776_580030_n.jpg

A year ago: (this past Christmas)

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/397059_278249805556220_2068949826_n.jpg

Current:

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/523962_389537324427467_219385412_n.jpg