PDA

View Full Version : My Dad Has Major Computer Problems

krazyaboutkatz
07-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi, my dad's windows XP has some kind of a really bad virus. He has norton for his security and this virus deleted some of those files. He's contacted people at Norton many times and they don't even know how to help him. He's able to get online by using F8. He tried running several anti-spyware/malware programs and they still can't clean up his computer. He's also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling his Norton but it's still not working properly. He also tried a system restore but this really messed up his files and now he's trying to gradually reorganize them which is taking a lot of time. In the past he's been able to get the help that he needed to clear up whatever virus his computer has picked up but not this time. Is there anything else that he can try? He's not one for hiring a computer technician because he doesn't want to spend the money and I also don't think that he'd trust them to work on his computer. He'd rather just have the right info and do it himself. Thanks in advance.:)

pomtzu
07-07-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't have any advice on how to fix, but when he does get it fixed, the first thing to do is get rid of Norton. I had nothing but trouble when I was with them. I've used the free version of AVG for several years now, and never had a problem.

krazyaboutkatz
07-07-2012, 03:52 PM
I agree. I get Norton free with my comcast subscription but I have other security programs that I also use. I don't trust Norton by itself because it misses too many things. I know that no security program is perfect but Norton seems to not be as reliable as many others. My dad actually pays for his Norton progam too.

Catlady711
07-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Only thing I can suggest is a fresh install of Windows. I used to love Norton until they went with a one disk "internet security" instead of 2 separate disks for antivirus/firewall. The combined program was like a virus itself. Had good luck with AVG for a year then it did same thing and missed some virus. Tried Trend Micro for 2 years but the interface was difficult to use, but did seem to work fairly well until I got a new mouse. After that it would randomly stop my mouse from working until I would turn off the Trend Micro & back on again. Weird. I've been using Kapersky for a year now. Can't say the interface is any easier, but seems to work ok, will be updating it again for another year since I don't have any major problems with it. I do hate the newer software that doesn't let you run Adaware and Spybot at the same time though.

SWHouston
07-07-2012, 04:42 PM
There may be one more possibility from Norton that he hasn't tried, go to...
http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx
and try running this elective scan on his system, may/may not help ?
Probably wouldn't hurt if he downloaded it to his computer, then ran it with his INTERNET connection on-line.

I use Norton, and haven't had a problem with it (probably luck) but, I keep my settings so tight, that my computer squeaks when it's booted, and...

I know it's a little late for this advice, but...
I have created a separate Folder on C:, I named it "Incoming" not that it matters. EVERYTHING that I create (.doc, .xl, pictures, copies of my Farorites and Documents folder) is either saved directly to that Folder, or copied frequently to it.
Then, I happen to have an external Hard Drive, which once a month or so, just copy the complete Incoming folder over to it. One can additionally make a CD as well. I then have a working copy of ALL my files.
OK, it can be as much as 30 days old, BUT, it's better than nothing.

What's important about doing it that way is...
That the Folder is NOT in the Windows system, or Program Files where most of the Virus guys like to send their attacks to. So, if/when you do have a problem, you can just re-image or replace a Program, and you do not have to loose any of your created files or pictures.

If you need to know...
Open the "Computer" file from your desktop.
Click on C:,
Right click with your mouse, and select "new folder",
Enter a name like "BACKUPFILES', and close.

Then, move EVERYTHING that you want over to that Folder, by sub-folder if you want,
and you'll have a separate from system place, to keep your important files.

Good Luck.

Catty1
07-07-2012, 07:16 PM
www.malwarebytes.org

Did he try that in Safe Mode (F8)?

He may have a rootkit which is a horrid thiing to get rid of. Trend Micro has a great free one: http://downloadcenter.trendmicro.com/index.php?regs=NABU&clk=result_page&clkval=drop_list&catid=6&prodid=155

Tracy, the best thing is for him to back up his files on an external drive, and run System Recovery. That reformats the hard drive.

Does he have a Windows XP Disk?

Also - the free version of this will give the type and product key of whatever Microsoft Office program is installed: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

I have used all the programs above and had no issues.

I can also remote in to his computer but I don't know what I can really do. Run the Trend Micro rootkit buster first then the other stuff and see what happens.

FeatheredMonkey
07-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Before I went to "Mac's" I used the AVG software and did not run in to problems.

Norton was a PITA!!:rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
07-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone.:) I'll see him tomorrow so I'll copy this thead and give it to him. Hopefully something from this thread will help him.

snakemama
07-08-2012, 02:27 AM
My father in law troubleshoots computers (both PCs and mac) for a living. I'll PM you his contact info. :)

Freedom
07-08-2012, 09:15 AM
No ideas to help, sorry.

I just was surpised to read some of the comments. I had awful issues with McAfee and stopped using it some years back. I switched to Norton and have not had one issue in 5 years now. Oops, hope I didn't jinx it! LOL Anyway, it was interesting to me that so many folks didn't like Norton.