PDA

View Full Version : Cat Litter Toxic...

redbird
07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm waiting to hear the full report on the evening news but I keep hearing that cat litter could be toxic to us, especially women. Can't wait to hear the full report later. Geez, what would we do if we can't use litter???

moosmom
07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I know it's toxic to pregnant women. Toxoplasmosis is what is toxc to pregnant women. I'll be interested to hear how it affects women in general.

pomtzu
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Geez, what would we do if we can't use litter???

I don't know about you, but I'd go back to using the toilet. :D Okay - bad joke - but I couldn't resist. :p

Like Donna said, I've heard about the dangers to pregnant women, but nothing beyond that. And I cleaned litter boxes both times I was pregnant, and my kids weren't born with 2 heads or parts missing, so I don't know what changed over the years.

There is always litter made from other products such as corn or pine - maybe that's the answer.

redbird
07-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I know it's toxic to pregnant women. Toxoplasmosis is what is toxc to pregnant women. I'll be interested to hear how it affects women in general.

Yes I've heard that also about pregnant women, I hope this is nothing serious.

pomtzu
07-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Supposedly it can make women suicidal because of the "T-Gondii" parasite in cat feces. Yet it's reported that 1/3 of the population carries this parasite without issues. Oh please researchers - what next??? :rolleyes:

chocolatepuppy
07-06-2012, 07:34 AM
I suppose thousands of cats will be thrown outside or dumped in the shelter due to this report!!!:( Mine, I'm keeping them. It's simple, don't put your hand in your mouth after cleaning the litter boxes unless you wash your hands.:rolleyes:

pomtzu
07-06-2012, 08:02 AM
I suppose thousands of cats will be thrown outside or dumped in the shelter due to this report!!!:( Mine, I'm keeping them. It's simple, don't put your hand in your mouth after cleaning the litter boxes unless you wash your hands.:rolleyes:

There are always those who will respond to this new finding by going off the deep end! However, the parasite is found mainly in cats that are allowed outside, since they pick up this parasite from killing mice, rats, and other small animals that carry it. Humans can also get the parasite from handling raw meats and vegetables, so now do we eliminate them too??? :rolleyes: Wash your hands, people, and quit pushing the panic button.

Catty1
07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I read an article on that issue. It DID say that people who are more prone to suicidal behaviour might be more sensitive to T Gondii in the first place. Other way around, if you see what I mean.

pomtzu
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
We should all quit eating, drinking and breathing - just to be on the safe side - since just about everything anymore, carries health hazards. :p:D

catnapper
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Hmmm... maybe there is something to a neuro-toxin parasite in litter..... I mean, how else could we explain the existance of cat crazy women? ;) :p :rolleyes:

I was sane and normal one day. Then *pow* I had a household of cats. It was the litter! Thank goodness I have a diagnosis. Whew.

pomtzu
07-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Hmmm... maybe there is something to a neuro-toxin parasite in litter..... I mean, how else could we explain the existance of cat crazy women? ;) :p :rolleyes:

I was sane and normal one day. Then *pow* I had a household of cats. It was the litter! Thank goodness I have a diagnosis. Whew.

LOL!!!

No - it's not the litter - it's what you scoop out of the litter. Kitty Krap! If there's a way to eliminate that, then the problem is solved. :D

smokey the elder
07-06-2012, 09:52 AM
I did a massive facepalm when I read this because it'll lead to more dumped cats, IMO. When just some common sense (which isn't, unfortunately) like washing your hands after cleaning the kitty boxes will prevent problems.

mrspunkysmom
07-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Well, everybody is sensitive to something somewhere. Look at the allergies on this board. Earlier this year I was on a BP med that causes panic attacks. But they don't advertise that. I think they enjoy scaring people.

chocolatepuppy
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
There are always those who will respond to this new finding by going off the deep end! However, the parasite is found mainly in cats that are allowed outside, since they pick up this parasite from killing mice, rats, and other small animals that carry it. Humans can also get the parasite from handling raw meats and vegetables, so now do we eliminate them too??? :rolleyes: Wash your hands, people, and quit pushing the panic button.

Only problem with inside cats, where were they 'before' I adopted them. Tessa was in a feral colony. Angel, who knows if she was ever outside? Tessa and Angel where around many cats at Petsmart and in foster homes on cage breaks. Missys mama cat went outside, she never did. RB Sassy, I found on the street. Just hoping people don't worry about that. I'm not.;) Why would you not wash your hands after 'digging for gold in the litterpan'? :D
Good heavens, imagine the diseases and germs from my dogs? And I let them on my bed!!!:eek:

Jessika
07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Only problem with inside cats, where were they 'before' I adopted them. Tessa was in a feral colony. Angel, who knows if she was ever outside? Tessa and Angel where around many cats at Petsmart and in foster homes on cage breaks. Missys mama cat went outside, she never did. RB Sassy, I found on the street. Just hoping people don't worry about that. I'm not.;) Why would you not wash your hands after 'digging for gold in the litterpan'? :D
Good heavens, imagine the diseases and germs from my dogs? And I let them on my bed!!!:eek:

Absolutely. And cats can shed toxo without ever showing clinical signs of having it.

Bottom line, this is no bigger of a deal as it was before the news blew it out of proportion. That's their job, you know, scare tactics.

Oocysts passed in a cat's feces are not immediately infectious to other animals. They must first go through a process called sporulation, which takes one to five days depending on environmental conditions. Once sporulated, oocysts are infectious to cats, people, and other intermediate hosts.

So you'd have to be in pretty unsanitary conditions, your cat is not a good groomer, or you yourself never wash your hands or bathe. Not saying you still couldn't get infected, but this isn't a very common thing. So clean your box every day, and don't allow your cat to walk across food preparation areas. You know, things we should already be doing lol

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/toxo.html

redbird
07-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Supposedly it can make women suicidal because of the "T-Gondii" parasite in cat feces. Yet it's reported that 1/3 of the population carries this parasite without issues. Oh please researchers - what next??? :rolleyes:

Well I'm glad to see some information on this. I had watched the early and late newscast yesterday and they never mentioned anything on this subject. I knew if I came to a cat board, someone would know something. After reading this, I will not throw Autumn out of the house :p I love her too much :D

pomtzu
07-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Well I'm glad to see some information on this. I had watched the early and late newscast yesterday and they never mentioned anything on this subject. I knew if I came to a cat board, someone would know something. After reading this, I will not throw Autumn out of the house :p I love her too much :D

I didn't see anything on the news either, but I was curious after you posted about it, so I Google'd it. Good old Google - all you ever wanted to know at your fingertips! :p I really don't think my findings are anything to lose any sleep over tho.

Glad Autumn will keep her happy home. :D

happylabs
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Yea...ho hum. I don't put much thought into these government studies. Next week they will be telling us to eat cat litter for its nutrients. :rolleyes:

Randi
07-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Next week they will be telling us to eat cat litter for its nutrients. :rolleyes:
Oh, that may be why Fister does it - and he is sixteen! :p

ChrisH
07-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Are women who own cats a suicide risk?

“Cat ladies are more likely to commit suicide,” The Daily Telegraph states, evoking images of sad and lonely self-harming spinsters surrounded by hordes of meowing kitties. The reality is somewhat different.

The Telegraph’s story is based on a study that found that Danish mothers were more likely to have developed antibodies to the parasite Toxoplasma gondii if they self-harmed at a later date. T. gondii is a parasite that can cause toxoplasmosis, and hygiene is key to preventing it. It can be caught from cat faeces, unwashed vegetables, undercooked meat and contaminated water. It can also pass from a woman to her unborn baby if she is infected during pregnancy.

Toxoplasmosis reportedly affects approximately a third of people worldwide. In most people it causes no symptoms, but it can cause severe problems in pregnant women and in people with a weakened immune system. Previous studies have linked T. gondii infection to schizophrenia and self-harm. The current study investigated this link.

Just over a quarter of a cohort of 45,788 women who gave birth had T. gondii. Of the 45,271 mothers who had not previously self-harmed, only 1% later self-harmed. Women with antibodies against T. gondii were 53% more likely to go on to self-harm. However, this study does not prove that T. gondii infection actually caused the women to self-harm. There may have been various mental health, medical, personal or social causes which this study has not explored. Furthermore, this study looked at the association between self-harm and women with antibodies against T. gondii rather than those who owned cats. There is no need to get rid of Tiddles just yet.

There is a lot more to the article, if you would like to read on go here (http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/07July/Pages/toxoplasmosis-in-cat-faeces-and-suicide-risk.aspx).

Cataholic
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I have/had toxo. :) And, baby J is fine. I think. I get enraged when people use yet another reason to dump animals- this time, cats:

"Exposure to cats is not the only way that humans can be exposed to the parasite. In fact, it is not the most common way. In the U.S., ingestion of infected meat sources is the most common method people come in contact with the parasite. Although it is thought to be very rare, it is possible that some people are exposed through inhalation of dust contaminated with Toxoplasma oocysts."

I silently gag when I hear pregnant women say, "oh...no changing the litterbox anymore for me".

Asiel
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
I only know that I cannot go near cat litter because of my immune system-- and I am not allowed to have cats or even be near them, much less pet them...if I do pet one then I have to wash my hands and use alcohol to rinse them. The doctor did explain the whole thing but it was long ago and I really don't pay much attention to all the details. I know it has something to do with cats harboring something in their gut... about all I do know,I just followed orders and don't have cats.

Cataholic
07-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Asiel, I think things have changed....BUT, of course, only do what you feel comfortable with. :)

krazyaboutkatz
07-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes, a lady I know had e-mailed me a link about this. Here's the link is any one wants to read it: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/05/15/healthwatch-human-behavioral-change-my-be-tied-to-cat-parasite/#.T77nNI1scGA.email. I'm not afraid to be around cats or to clean their litter boxes. All of my cats are indoor only and they've all been dewormed too. I'm not going to be getting pregnant either so no worries there. There's always something on the news that tries to scare people and there are so many every day things that they now say can cause cancer. We can't live in fear because if we do then why live at all.

mrspunkysmom
07-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Well, everybody is sensitive to something somewhere. Look at the allergies on this board. Earlier this year I was on a BP med that causes panic attacks. But they don't advertise that. I think they enjoy scaring people.

Some of those women that died might well be sensitive to toxoplasmosis. But I think they jumped the gun drawing conclusions. There are still too many variables to explore.

One Percent of us are sensitive to wheat flour. Maybe we should ban that!

I always use gloves when working in the kitty room. Sometimes I wear a face mask if the litter is dusty.

Yes, a lady I know had e-mailed me a link about this. Here's the link is any one wants to read it: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...nNI1scGA.email. I'm not afraid to be around cats or to clean their litter boxes. All of my cats are indoor only and they've all been dewormed too. I'm not going to be getting pregnant either so no worries there. There's always something on the news that tries to scare people and there are so many every day things that they now say can cause cancer. We can't live in fear because if we do then why live at all.

I agree. I've heard tales about cat scratch fever my whole life. I've met women whose Ob-gyn insisted they get rid of the cats. I believe it's different if the women have been around cats their whole life, but that's my opinion.

Why do people keep harping on cats and disease? It's like our own version of BSL. Blaming the dog and not the owner. JMHO!!