PDA

View Full Version : There is a chance that I may be a soon to be dog owner

DriftyAlison0
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey all, I have a friend that knows of a friend that has a 4 year old rat terrier/Shih zu mix dog that was her grandmother's dog but she has had him since her grandma died and she can't keep him. She is trying to find a new home for him and if he doesn't find a home soon, he would have to go to the animal shelter. I know that if that would happen, the shelter is a low kill shelter and he would end up getting adopted at some point, however I know that being in a shelter can be stressful for any animal and she would rather find a new home rather then having to surrender him. I have no pictures yet, and I did tell her (with permission from my mom (live at home with my mom for college) told her that if all else fails, that I can have him (his name is Rocky).

The problem I see is the other pets particularly the cats (Cheyenne and Speedy is safe and I don't worry about them) esp. Peaches. Ashes and Alison has been around dogs before and been fine with them,however they have been around a big dog (lab and a German Shepard) so there is the concern there but not as much as it is with Peaches.Peaches came from the streets and I have no idea how she will react. Dunno how big Rocky is, but knowing the size of the Rat Terrier and the Shih zu (keep wanting to spell it shit zu) I am thinking he will be small. I am planning on leaving him in one room at least for the first few days (my mom's room has a door leading to the backyard so it would be perfect) but I don't want him to spend all of his life (or until I get a place and a job in a the next couple of years or I may stay at home to help my mom pay bills) in a room. So do you have any tips for me to help get Rocky and the other pets to get along/tolerate each other. I don't know how he is going to be like with the other pets pat. the cats but I just want to see what you all would recommend in case I do end up getting Rocky.

Karen
07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Definitely introduce them slowly, and ask her if he has any experience with other animals. If nothing else, say you can foster him for her, so if it doesn't work out, you have the option of finding him a new home, just in case.