PDA

View Full Version : how kiwis (that's me NZer's talk)...

carole
07-02-2012, 05:49 AM
i thought i would post these for fun, most of you know i am a kiwi , and this is how we are supposed to sound or rather pronounce words apparently,e.g amejen = imagine, ear robucks = aerobics, so if you are down under any time, you might want to take this with you .:D i am more than happy to translate if need be lol.

Freedom
07-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Hahahaaaaa, good one! Do you speak that way, Carole?

sana
07-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Haha! :D Nice! :D Thank You carole!
Now I want to listen to you guys speak! :P

pomtzu
07-02-2012, 07:17 AM
OMG -- just so funny. So do YOU pronounce the words like that? I'm certain that the way they are posted on that list, is very much exaggerated. (eggs zajjer ate Ed) :D

Karen
07-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Hee hee! I can hear them in my head as I read them! :) Thanks for sharing with us!

carole
07-02-2012, 03:42 PM
you know what i think i probably do speak that way, i am not sure,,we honestly do pronounce things like that, i think maybe some are exaggerated, anyhow i am not a typical kiwi, as raised by scots, i do talk a bit different, but yes a real kiwi does talk pretty much that way ,was interesting to me as well.:D

I did have an old message i did on PT, where you could hear my voice, and i was going to post it, but came up with an invalid file, so sorry no can do, and i don't have a way to do it anymore.

We do actually talk quite different to the aussies ,but i know just as we think canadians and americans sound the same, although i can hear the difference myself,, most people think kiwis and aussies are the same, but take it from me we are NOT!!!:)

Karen
07-02-2012, 04:28 PM
We do actually talk quite different to the aussies ,but i know just as we think canadians and americans sound the same, although i can hear the difference myself,, most people think kiwis and aussies are the same, but take it from me we are NOT!!!:)

Paul has very acute hearing, and can pretty accurately tell the difference between Aussies and Kiwis - I'm not as accurate as he is! But when people meet me, they sometimes ask where my "Boston" accent is, but they don't realize not all of Massachusetts is Boston, and in fact, not even all of Boston has that accent, either! I have one friend who only has a "Boston" accent when she's drunk!

carole
07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
yes we assume a lot , i had an online friend from boston, and i assumed everyone talked like him, i love the accent,it is so different, but now i know not everyone talks like that, same with kiwis,some are really like the this thread i posted,others are not, i am not typical ,but that is because of my scottish heritage, and i have been brought up with the a different dialect, everyone comments on how my sister and i talk so different on the phone and in person when we talk to our parents, it is just natural to us, we were raised with it, and i would sound ridiculous speaking scottish to scottish people,but i do pronounce my words different when i speak to my parents, the kiwi leaves me lol.:D:)

Catty1
07-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Carole, reading that list brought it all back to me! I could probably fake it somewhat...lol.

carole
07-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I am sure you could candace, i remember you visited my little country a while back, well if you come again you can take this with you and give it a go and see what response you get, would be interesting he he.:D

phesina
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Hi Carole, many many years ago I spent more than a year on the west coast of Ireland in a little fishing village that also was a center for traditional Irish music. It was a popular tourist destination, and many people from many different countries around the world passed through.

I spent an afternoon with a couple of women from New Zealand who were backpacking their way around the world. I mentioned to them that I noticed that New Zealanders always had their flag sewn on their backpacks and asked them about it. They told me "That's so people won't mistake us for Australians!"

I said, "Oh, like Canadians always have their flag on their packs so they won't be mistaken for Americans!"

I could kind of pick up the differences between Australian and New Zealand accents. The New Zealand seemed somewhat like the South African accent to me, more than the Australian did.

I of course may be way off base with that! Do you think you sound much like South Africans?

carole
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
To be honest Pat, to me no we don't sound like that, but you know you don't hear yourself the same as others do, we often think we don't even have an accent,but we do, i think the south africans are a little different in their accents, my hubby's workmate is south african and my son's fiancee is half south african, but she is born here, so no accent, but interesting to read this.,hey maybe we do.

yes the aussies and kiwis have a bit of a rivalry going, sometimes in fun, sometimes not so much, we accuse them of stealing all our famous people which they do actually and claim them for their own, and there is the debate about pavlova, a yummy dessert we make here, we claim we own it, the aussie say they do. i don't really know .

I imagine the canadians and americans have a similar thing going .:D

david p
07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Sis, even other people in the U.S. think that people in Pittsburgh have an accent and a language all their own. For proof look up Pittsburghese.com. There is even a Pittsburghese/english translator!

carole
07-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Oh My GOSH really, that is amazing David, yep we are a funny lot with our accents, they say the south islanders here also speak a wee bit different to the north islanders too.:D