PDA

View Full Version : Update: results from my last doctor's visits

mrspunkysmom
07-01-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm sorry I didn't post the findings right away. I had a horrible sinus infection and I was feeling most annoyed at my current situation. Plus infection makes me dumb, not just ditzy (I was born blonde and have always blamed it on that :D ) I can't stand not being on the intellectual edge.

As for the sinus infection, many antibiotics interfere with the coumadin, mostly making it easier to bleed. Some work against the coumadin, and others have no effect. These last ones are also the ones the infection does not want to respond to. I had to make a fuss with my Internist to get a decent antibiotic. I told him the docs were forcing me to make a choice between blood thinners and antibiotics. One has immediate effects and the other (coumadin) is only a potential risk. Do the math.

I did find out that antihistamines don't reduce swelling, but steroids do. So I have a nasal steroid spray for two weeks along with a stronger antibiotic. Apparently the swelling could take 8 weeks to reduce if it is bad enough. This is from the reaction to the first blood thinner.

The rheumatologist says there is something going on, but the blood tests are negative for a specific immune disease. I just have too many symptoms. So he's keeping me on the plaquenil for the time being. I'm curious and suspicious about this. I've never had a rheumatologist do this.

The cardiologist read the heart event monitor in front of me. He didn't see any arrhythmia, but then I am on medication. One thing that I wasn't told after the heart cath: the blood pressure inside my heart is "ungodly high". It's higher than my arm pressure? The heart pressure during the cath was 150/100. I asked if that was the pressure I feel in my chest and he said it could be. I'm assuming that if it had been dangerously high I would have been put on more BP meds immediately. I was given more to take: another diuretic that is potassium friendly and another BP med to lower pressure. This is on top of the other meds. It appears to be working. The chest pressure appears to disappear for long periods of time and I am breathing easier.

I goback to my internist and cardiologist in 5 weeks.

Despite my very recent luck and good fortune with the medical profession, I despise the medical profession as a whole. I am beyond white-coat syndrome. Honestly? If the whole professions were swallowed up in a great chasm, I would jump for joy!

So now to lose weight now that I can feel even more oxygen flowing through my body and perhaps get off of some of these medicines. :love:

Wish me luck!

Karen
07-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Good luck, sounds like progress is being made!