PDA

View Full Version : Meeting a bunch of English Labs today - maybe potential puppy in September?

CountryWolf07
07-01-2012, 09:17 AM
So, Mike and I finally agreed on the English Labrador Retriever (no surprise, there!) - We shopped around, looked at registered breeders, and we think we may have found the correct one, who has been around for quite a while. Their website is: http://www.highlandlabradors.net/index.html (http://www.highlandlabradors.net/index.html) - We are meeting them this afternoon, get a feel of how the dogs are, and how they interact with us and mostly talk with the breeders and they wanted to get to know us. I guess I am excited, I may just want to take them all home with me! ;) We also have came up with a couple names in mind - we will want a male puppy. So we will have to wait once we meet him and figure out which name suits him best.
The potential puppy we may consider are from these parents:

Nitro - Fox Red - Dad
http://www.highlandlabradors.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/NITRO_SNOW_HAPPY.jpg

and

Shiloh - Cream - Mom
http://www.highlandlabradors.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/SHILOHEXCELLENTBODY1_opt.jpg

This is one of Shiloh's puppies - now 2 years old and serving as a Police Dog - "Tank"

http://www.highlandlabradors.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/TANK007_opt.jpg.w300h303.jpg

Will keep you guys updated! :)

cloverfdx
07-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Do the breeders actually sell them as English Labradors? or the correct name of Labrador Retriever?

Good luck on possibly getting a new family member :).

happylabs
07-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Excellent choice! I bet those two make beautiful puppies. :love:

I love the Fox Red color too. That is the only color of Lab I have never owned before.

Hope it works out. Cannot wait to see Labrador puppy pics!!!

CountryWolf07
07-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Do the breeders actually sell them as English Labradors? or the correct name of Labrador Retriever?

Good luck on possibly getting a new family member :).

English Labradors. They're completely different than American. I think the key word is just English or American, but really, it's the Labrador Retriever :)

CountryWolf07
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Excellent choice! I bet those two make beautiful puppies. :love:

I love the Fox Red color too. That is the only color of Lab I have never owned before.

Hope it works out. Cannot wait to see Labrador puppy pics!!!

We met the breeder - VERY nice guy, very informative. We met every single dog he had - and wow, they were amazing. Awesome personalities and great temperaments. ALL they want is LOVE. :) We also met the 6 month old puppies they had from the previous litter(s) they kept as "pick of the litter" - really calm deposition, great personality. I think we are pretty sure we want a Fox Red, but if not, we'll go with Yellow/Cream. :) We are still talking about it, then once we decide, we will put down a down deposit to reserve and the rest will be done in late August/early September.

We had a great experience and we left happy. We just have to decide on the color, but we know we want a male. There will be 4 litters to look at in early September, so we'll have to just play with each puppy and just see who's meant to come home with us.

Here is a picture of me with Nitro, he's about to turn 6 and he is a national hunting champion dog. VERY sweet and all he wanted was to lay on top of my feet and just wanted to be petted. Yes he's a big boy!

Karen
07-02-2012, 11:22 AM
They are both Labrador Retrievers - the "English" version tends to be stockier, and more bred for working, whereas the "American" version tends to be a bit taller and narrow, bred more for pretty looks. It's just slight variations acceding to the different breed standards.

happylabs
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
We met the breeder - VERY nice guy, very informative. We met every single dog he had - and wow, they were amazing. Awesome personalities and great temperaments. ALL they want is LOVE. :) We also met the 6 month old puppies they had from the previous litter(s) they kept as "pick of the litter" - really calm deposition, great personality. I think we are pretty sure we want a Fox Red, but if not, we'll go with Yellow/Cream. :) We are still talking about it, then once we decide, we will put down a down deposit to reserve and the rest will be done in late August/early September.

We had a great experience and we left happy. We just have to decide on the color, but we know we want a male. There will be 4 litters to look at in early September, so we'll have to just play with each puppy and just see who's meant to come home with us.

Here is a picture of me with Nitro, he's about to turn 6 and he is a national hunting champion dog. VERY sweet and all he wanted was to lay on top of my feet and just wanted to be petted. Yes he's a big boy!

That is what I love about Labs! I would love to just go give him a big HUG. Such a handsome dog.

And, I have always like the English version of Labs.

bckrazy
07-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Wow, you NEVER see English Labs who are also working dogs! That's awesome, and they do all the health tests imaginable. :) I love it when breeders find balance between good looks & working ability. I really like the looks of their dogs... super cute and beefy without looking like yellow Rotties, like some of the more extreme show Labs. And it's great that they have moderate temperaments too. I'm sure your puppy will be amazingly cute!

Actually, working labs are almost always more compact and lanky, with moderate heads. It's the show/bench type that is super stocky. Like borderline obese. These dogs look like a nice medium, still with rounded heads and bulkier bodies but athletic. "English" Labs really are just a type, not a breed. It's annoying when people act like it's a different breed, like people who make it seem like "English Creams" are different or more superior than Golden Retrievers. No, they're just white and chubby.