PDA

View Full Version : Repeating a Request from Richard: I, too, need a huge favor from the Pet Talk Petizens.

mrspunkysmom
06-25-2012, 05:11 PM
A few years back, Richard posted this plea "I need a Huge Favor". (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?148681-I-need-a-huge-favor-from-all-of-you)

I'm asking y'all to do the same if you haven't kept up. :love:

I am also asking you to pursue good health care and ask for second opinions, whether the results of the tests are good or bad. I've had heart palpitations since I was 12 years old. I would mention it, but my heart would always behave during an appt. It even behaved when I wore a heart monitor for 24 hours about 20 years back. Because of my weight, the doctors would concentrate on cholesterol and congestive heart disease, not find any, and ignore my complaints that the palpitations were increasing in frequency.

The recent stress test was assumed to be correct because of my weight. I fussed over the racing heart diagnosis because I had lived with it for so long and was largely ignored. I wouldn't have argued about any findings if I had been told all the results. What got me the correct care was that my doctors weren't communicating with me fully and I wanted to know the whole truth.

So now I know that I wasn't imagining the palpitations that do stop me in my tracks. No other symptoms, but you can't ignore it. It's Atrial Fibrillation and who knows why it starts. I hope to find out lots Wednesday! :love:

So ask questions, ask for all of the information, and seek second opinions if you think you need one, whether the results be good or bad. Follow your instincts. You know yourself better than the doctor. And find a doctor who will be your partner and communicate and not just dictate.

And find a way to get some of the yearly tests. It's worth the peace of mind. Most of us do it for our critters. Now do it for yourselves! :love:

And yes, I have a Last Will and Testament and a Living Will. Both are simple, but will do for the time being. And these have been notarized. I might even send a copy to my brother and also provide him the data he needs to process the estate should something happen.

Thank You! And thanks Richard for writing this original thread! :D :love:

BTW, Richard! I was eating chocolate while writing this post! Yummy! :D

Anne

I don't usually ask for things but.....

And it does not involve CHOCOLATE!

Please go for all your annual tests, prostate, mammograms, blood and x-rays.

Don't hesitate! Don't put them off and don't think any ailment 'will go away' on it's own.

The next thing is to If you have an idea as to what you want to do with your possessions after you depart the planet-get your things in order.

It's sounds morbid but it's probably the best for everyone that you know and love.

-----------

Medicine is WAY more advanced now that it ever has been -some discomfort now is better than any pain and complications you or your loved ones may encounter later on.

Do it for yourselves and your loved ones.

Thanks.

cassiesmom
06-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Just to follow what has already been said. Most insurances cover preventive testing nowadays but if it is something not covered, please talk to the hospital. Most hospitals have a program in place to provide low- or no-cost care or they may know of organizations that can help. Try patient financial services or social services. They might require documentation like pay stubs, tax returns or receipts. If I'm not mistaken, a hospital that gets funds from Medicare or Medicaid also has to have a means of helping patients who are not able to pay for care. When I last worked in the hospital those applications were handled very sensitively, only a few people knew if a patient was in the program. Everybody got the same care whether insured or not. We also tried to respond promptly when the applications came in, so the care would not be held up.

mrspunkysmom
06-26-2012, 09:33 PM
I can't believe Mary's jaw issue is not covered by insurance. I hope she appeals.

There are supposed to be programs for mammogram testing. I ask for them but because I have insurance, I usually have to pay more than I like. I'm not trying to be cheap. These programs are through the insurance company that wants you to be preventative.

Do this folks!

smokey the elder
06-27-2012, 08:22 AM
(My apologies in advance for putting politics in here.)

The Health Care Act of 2010 ("Obamacare") provides for preventive stuff, but it might be struck down by the supreme court so make sure you schedule preventative stuff ASAP.

phesina
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
I've gotten a physical exam every year for I don't even remember how long.. forever. There was never any question that it was covered by whatever insurance I had at the time.

A couple of months ago I got a bill for $180 from my primary-care doctor's office. I called them to find out just what that was for. I was told they didn't know and I had to check with the billing company. (And how weird is THAT? but I digress..)

So I called them and was told it was for the physical exam I'd had a couple of months before.. neither Medicare nor my Medicare-supplement insurance cover routine physicals now.

In other words, preventive care is no longer on the menu.

Edwina's Secretary
06-27-2012, 01:25 PM
(My apologies in advance for putting politics in here.)

The Health Care Act of 2010 ("Obamacare") provides for preventive stuff, but it might be struck down by the supreme court so make sure you schedule preventative stuff ASAP.

Amen amen!

sasvermont
06-27-2012, 02:11 PM
I've gotten a physical exam every year for I don't even remember how long.. forever. There was never any question that it was covered by whatever insurance I had at the time.

A couple of months ago I got a bill for $180 from my primary-care doctor's office. I called them to find out just what that was for. I was told they didn't know and I had to check with the billing company. (And how weird is THAT? but I digress..)

So I called them and was told it was for the physical exam I'd had a couple of months before.. neither Medicare nor my Medicare-supplement insurance cover routine physicals now.

In other words, preventive care is no longer on the menu.

Just to be sure my visit is covered, I usually add a "can you look at my throat, it's been sore lately" so that the visit is a "sick visit" and then we do the other tests etc. I go every other year for just a checkup but end up in their offices between times for other things. This year, I have had so many issues, and every test available to mankind, I won't need to go through the annual visit.

Insurance companies and health care providers are always at odds about what is covered and what it not. I find it so odd that the insurance industry is run the way it is. Here in Vermont, we have great programs for people on fixed incomes or little to no income, where you pay based on your income, not on your worth, but INCOME. There are standard programs through employers etc. but if you don't have insurance via your employer, you can buy it through the state and it turns out to be much, much better than when I bought it through my employers. Go figure. Vermont is a great place to live (so far) if you have health insurance issues. And it is not Medicaid... just a subsidy via the state, for those who qualify. Anyone can sign up for it. It's called Catamount Health Insurance with Blue Cross of Vermont.

Wanna move to VT?

phesina
06-27-2012, 03:32 PM
My gosh.. Vermont, here we come!

Edwina's Secretary
06-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Insurance companies and health care providers are always at odds about what is covered and what it not. I find it so odd that the insurance industry is run the way it is. Here in Vermont, we have great programs for people on fixed incomes or little to no income, where you pay based on your income, not on your worth, but INCOME. There are standard programs through employers etc. but if you don't have insurance via your employer, you can buy it through the state and it turns out to be much, much better than when I bought it through my employers. Go figure. Vermont is a great place to live (so far) if you have health insurance issues. And it is not Medicaid... just a subsidy via the state, for those who qualify. Anyone can sign up for it. It's called Catamount Health Insurance with Blue Cross of Vermont.

Wanna move to VT?

Yes, I do! What people need to understand is that insurance companies do not make money by paying claims...they make money by NOT paying claims. I admit I am passionate about this topic. But I work with it and live it every day. Recently I needed eye drops. The doctor told me it would be expensive. Still...I was not prepared for....hold your hat...$336.00...for a tiny bottle. I said "no thanks." I thought about it and called back. They had "overlooked" that I have insurance. Now it is $34.00. That is morally wrong. The insurance companies and the drug companies:rolleyes::mad::mad:... So if I cannot afford insurance it is $336.00...if I can afford insurance it is $34.00. We cannot continue with the screwed up system we have!