View Full Version : Poor kitty

cat lover
06-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Don't let your cat get this overweight.

http://www.dump.com/cattraining/

Jessika
06-24-2012, 05:13 PM
That is so sad :(

Sadly, many people don't even see that their cats (and dogs!) are overweight, even when the vet tells them they need to lose some weight. They're so used to seeing them at a certain size, that when/if they lose enough weight to be at their ideal size, they think they're now "too thin". :(

mrspunkysmom
06-24-2012, 05:44 PM
That is sad. My two Big Guys can still jump. Sam can jump to the top of his 4 foot tree in one leap. he still has a waist. I'm trying to get him interested in some catolympics. Not much luck but I shall endeavour.

I saw a show once that had overweight dogs on it. One of the owners would not accept that her dog was overweight. Sad.

Taz_Zoee
06-24-2012, 07:04 PM
That cat didn't appear to be THAT much over weight. We have a cat at the shelter that was about 45 pounds when he first came. A volunteer got him down to just under 40 and now I think he is around 35. He was adopted then brought back (that's another LONG story).
My Taz weighed in at 21.5 lbs at his heaviest and he could still jump up on counters and in the windows.

But yes, it is very sad when the owners do not realize what is going on. They just want to make their pet happy and feeding them is one way to do that. :( Oh wait.........that's my problem too with myself! :p

Jessika
06-24-2012, 07:36 PM
That cat didn't appear to be THAT much over weight.

He doesn't to me, either, which makes me wonder if he's arthritic... in which case keeping the weight off is even more important!

snakemama
06-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Sherpa used to carry about an extra 2lbs, but his asthma was getting really bad, and our vet said getting the extra weight off would help. It has! Poor Sherpa was free-fed before I moved in and he thinks I'm the kitty torturer, starving him. But he's fit and perfect now!

chocolatepuppy
06-24-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't think that cat is really that fat either. Could lose a bit of weight. As for jumping up on something, my Missy has never been much of a jumper. Once in a while she surprises me and jumps on something I never thought she could!

catmandu
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
We are sorry that that Poor Cat is ahving problems:(
We are sorry and we pray his Vet can help him out:love::love:

mrspunkysmom
06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Chocolatepuppy, Jessika, and Taz: I was thinking the same. Comparatively, Bertie, was much fatter, and she could jump on a chair, but not higher. That cat may well have arthritis or just might not be a jumper. Losing weight would help, but the owner should check into it.

Spunky, who is a trim 9 pounds, can't jump higher than a couch seat. I place furniture and have step stools so he can get to higher places. I'm afraid he will injure himself and then there's the breaking of things. He climbs well, though.

My cats are at a much healthier weight than I am. :D

lizbud
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
If someone removed the mat laying on top of the furniture, it would make it easier for the cat to get up there.
It probably feels unsteady to jump up on a mat that slides when he touchs it.

Karen
06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
A well-known and respected vet once said on the radio show with me that if you run your hands down your cat's sides, you should be able to easily feel that there are ribs underneath the fur. Anything more than that, like if you have to press hard to find ribs, and the kitty is overweight.

Jessika
06-25-2012, 07:43 PM
A well-known and respected vet once said on the radio show with me that if you run your hands down your cat's sides, you should be able to easily feel that there are ribs underneath the fur. Anything more than that, like if you have to press hard to find ribs, and the kitty is overweight.
Yup, similar with dogs - should be able to feel the ribs without seeing them, that's a pretty good weight.