PDA

View Full Version : Pa. monsignor1st US Catholic official convicted for covering up abuse complaints

Catty1
06-23-2012, 09:45 AM
I hope more of these cover-up people are busted!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/pa-monsignor-becomes-1st-us-catholic-official-convicted-225156216.html

pomtzu
06-23-2012, 10:31 AM
I hope more of these cover-up people are busted!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/pa-monsignor-becomes-1st-us-catholic-official-convicted-225156216.html

I'm with you on that one!

Seems Pennsylvania had a good day yesterday, convicting scumbags. This one and Sandusky too.

momcat
06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
In the course of doing my job for the past 30 years I've heard every story you can imagine and some that you can't. There was a case several years back that caused quite a stir, a woman said a priest from her parish was the father of her baby. Somehow it hit the news. It came up one day when I was at the salon for a haircut. The stylist, a very devout Catholic, asked how she could accuse a priest of such a thing. My response to her was that's not the question, the real question is how could a priest do that to a woman in his church.

Now a precedent has been set with a conviction based on the facts as presented to the court. May it be only the first.

Karen
06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
I am glad one of the higher-ups is being held accountable, at long last.

RICHARD
06-27-2012, 04:30 PM
In the course of doing my job for the past 30 years I've heard every story you can imagine and some that you can't. There was a case several years back that caused quite a stir, a woman said a priest from her parish was the father of her baby. Somehow it hit the news. It came up one day when I was at the salon for a haircut. The stylist, a very devout Catholic, asked how she could accuse a priest of such a thing. My response to her was that's not the question, the real question is how could a priest do that to a woman in his church.

Now a precedent has been set with a conviction based on the facts as presented to the court. May it be only the first.

I grew up as a Roamin' Catholic...I manage to roam far enough away not to have them really influence me..

There are some people who are so blinded to the idea that priests cannot do anything wrong.

Just like the people who believe that the law, medicine and politicians are 'without blame'.

-------------

The church is to blame for any coverups that happened and I think that they should bear the costs of rehabbing the victims also.

BUT......I find that the millions and millions of dollars in lawsuits did nothing for the victims.

So what do you do?

Rub cash on your afflicted parts?

Stash it into pillow cases and sleep on it? Hoping that the devils you have inside your brain will go away?

I dunno...

phesina
06-27-2012, 08:34 PM
They're fighting these lawsuits because the judgments are bankrupting them.

Their main concern is, how much this is costing and harming the Church and not doing that much for the victims after the fact..

I say: That's not the point. What they should be concentrating on: We have sinned, we have done grievous harm to untold numbers of innocent, vulnerable children. To even begin to atone, we must do whatever we can that might possibly help any of these victims in any way. If that wipes us out financially, so be it.

RICHARD
06-28-2012, 06:21 AM
They're fighting these lawsuits because the judgments are bankrupting them.

Their main concern is, how much this is costing and harming the Church and not doing that much for the victims after the fact..

I say: That's not the point. What they should be concentrating on: We have sinned, we have done grievous harm to untold numbers of innocent, vulnerable children. To even begin to atone, we must do whatever we can that might possibly help any of these victims in any way. If that wipes us out financially, so be it.

I understand the need to help the victims, but is tossing money at the problem the fix?

Religion can be a good thing, especially when a person has no other place to turn to.

I know that there are times when I look for a little 'extra' when dealing with a problem that does not have a clear answer.

When the EL Lay diocese began to give out settlements relating to their abuse cases?

People were being interviewed and giving pretty lame answers about what the money would do for them.

I remember thinking that they had been abused, physically and mentally, and their answer was all about having some money?

I wish someone would give me a pile of cash for having to overcome some psychic trauma, real or imagined, I have had in my life.

A million dollars won't get a person who is bedridden to walk again, but, it will provide them with the means to be taken care of.

People who can walk do not need to be taught to do so, they need to be taught to stay on their feet.

To make progress.

----------------------------

People who have lived in pain, for many years, because of what they have endured need care and patience.

You do not give a gambler or and addict a wheelbarrow of money and tell them to heal themselves.

They'll just find a way to sink deeper into a dark place.

There is a song about 'big money' and the lyrics may just apply here.

It's that old-time religion
It's the kingdom they would rule
It's the fool on television
Getting paid to play the fool

Big money goes around the world
Big money give and take
Big money done a power of good
Big money make mistakes
Big money got a heavy hand
Big money take control
Big money got a mean streak
Big money got no soul...

Edwina's Secretary
06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
The Diocese of Los Angeles has $58 million to buy the Crystal Cathedral. Apparently the Catholic Church still has some money socked away somewhere!:confused::confused:

RICHARD
06-28-2012, 06:55 PM
The Diocese of Los Angeles has $58 million to buy the Crystal Cathedral. Apparently the Catholic Church still has some money socked away somewhere!:confused::confused:

Oh Jesus, who really cares?

Edwina's Secretary
06-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Oh Jesus, who really cares?

Here in SoCal? Lots of folks. It is difficult to swallow a plea of "poverty" when getting into a bidding war for a glass house.

phesina
06-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Richard, do you have any better ideas than shelling out lots of money for ways that the Catholic Church can begin to make some kind of restitution to people they have harmed so badly?