PDA

View Full Version : Vaccines vs. Titers

Freedom
06-22-2012, 09:32 PM
This is from Heidi Peter, on FB:

Most know that my Sasha girl was just blinded in her left eye, and it was verified that it was from her "annual shots." I have the pathology report (immune-mediated disease).

Although you should always take your pet to your vet annually (more so when older), annual shots should be discussed with your vet and you should research what is required. YOU are your pet's advocate!! I now follow Dr. Jean Dodd's protocol and read "Dogs Naturally Magazine."

We received cards in the mail recently that Max was due for his annual boosters. I was not about to go through that nightmare again. I knew that I could get "titer tests" done to check for their immunity to these diseases. There were two titers done (Parvo/Distemper $69 and Rabies $169). I just received the results back today for the Parvo/Distemper. Max is more than covered! What are we doing to our pets when we take them to get annual shots? I am now awaiting the results of the rabies titers. These "annual shots" should have them covered for years. Emergency vets see the damage the shots do, regular vets DO NOT. If it weren't for the 3rd vet I took Sasha too that LISTENED to me (emergency vet), she would be blind in BOTH EYES. Please err on the side of caution. Your pets are worth it.

I want this to be the POSTER CHILD of when the vet did not listen to me when I asked for "TITER TESTS" and was talked out of them by an ORDINARY VET that was my PRIMARY vet for 16 years!!! She told me that the benefits outweigh the risks! In THREE of my cases, the benefits did NOT outweigh the risks. She is BLIND in her left eye and she would have been blind in her right eye if the emergency vet did not listen to me (that it was the annual shots). $3,000 She has a glass eye and is now finally comfortable 3 months later.

** I have included the photo of Sasha; I just asked Heidi, she says Sasha is age 2 years. I've seen lots of discussions about titers on other forums; not so much here on PT.

wolf_Q
06-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Poor pup. :( I don't believe in yearly vaccinations....they have proved they last way longer than a year it is completely unnecessary. I haven't done the titer tests though. I do still get all of the dogs rabies vaccinations every 3 years, I wish it was longer than that but that's the longest any vets will say they last (though they've been proven to last much longer than that). I did get all of the dogs their full set of vaccinations as puppies and the booster the year after but I only do rabies vacs after that. I did yearly vaccinations on Nebo for like 4 years and I wish I hadn't. The rabies vaccination is required by law and I want the legal protection if somebody claims my dogs bite them or something. It drives me nuts that several vets in the area still will only do 1 year rabies on cats I tell customers to go somewhere else for their vaccinations....we have to take what the vet says as when it's due why go somewhere that says its only good for a year. I heard that the protocol changed this year I believe for vaccinations stating they should be given every 3 years (not just the rabies, all of them) instead of yearly.

chocolatepuppy
06-23-2012, 05:54 AM
My dogs and cats have been getting vaccinations every three years for a few years now, not yearly.

pomtzu
06-23-2012, 06:25 AM
The Fuzzbuttz no longer get routine yearly vaccines - their vet agrees that they aren't need.. They do get rabies vaccine once every 3 years, and I do keep up with a yearly Lyme's vaccine also, even tho it's questionable as to how effective it is. Sparky ended up with Lymes a few years ago, but it was caught and treated early.

Freedom
06-23-2012, 07:59 AM
If you are concerned about the rabies vaccine causing a reaction, discuss w/ vet. In many states, it is permissible for the vet to get a titer test and, if the result is high enough, they can obtain a waiver from the state veterinarian board, for you. Ask about the risks going this route if your dog does bite someone. I know of a few folks online who do this for rabies, but they have small house dogs and it isn't quite the same as for those of us who are taking our dogs out and about regularly, IMO.

While vaccine reactions seem rare, they are also becoming more and more common, and THAT is scary. Maybe the diagnosis is getting better, maybe the social media lets us share more to a wider audience, maybe the vaccines are stronger than 20 years ago, maybe generation by generation dogs' bodies are adapting differently, I don't know. But SOMETHING is changing.

Yes, the protocols did change recently, here is one link: http://www.dogster.com/dog-health-care/dog-vaccination-schedule

Jessika
06-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Yes, the protocols did change recently, here is one link: http://www.dogster.com/dog-health-care/dog-vaccination-schedule

A side note on that article alone: while there were many reactions to lepto vaccines back "in the day", the vaccines we have now are MUCH MUCH more safer and I've only seen maybe 1 puppy in the past 2+ years come in for a vaccine reaction at my clinic.

On the topic of titers vs vaccines, I think it is important for you to discuss this concern with your vet. Many are more than happy to run the titers for you in lieu of vaccination. But I do stress the importance of discussing it with your vet, because some areas have a higher risk of contracting certain diseases (ie lymes, lepto, etc) and you may not want to cut those particular vaccines out of your yearly protocol if your pet is at a high risk for them.

Freedom
06-23-2012, 07:45 PM
You also need to know your breed. Bichons have a very high rate of reaction to the lepto vaccine; we never give it to them.

Jessika
06-24-2012, 01:30 PM
You also need to know your breed. Bichons have a very high rate of reaction to the lepto vaccine; we never give it to them.
That is true in some cases, but we do regularly give lepto to Bicons with no reactions that I've been made aware of at my clinic. I have heard this though, and clients who purchased Bicon's from a breeder will oftentimes have a handout stating the breeder doesn't recommend the vaccine. We never push the vaccine on owners, but make it known that it is a known problem in this area and allow the owners to make the decision if they want to vaccinate for it or not. We serve the pet and client, not our pocket books (not that it matters, anyway, the cost for a DHLPP is the same as a DHPP at my clinic lol).