PDA

View Full Version : A most amazing flower has blossomed

Randi
06-22-2012, 09:21 AM
One gardener slept in the Botanical Garden to not miss it. You can see it open in this link. It is filmed over a period of 20 hours and shows 3 minutes:

http://politiken.dk/poltv/nyheder/videnskab/ECE1665958/timelapse-se-ligblomstens-liv-i-20-timer-paa-tre-minutter/

It's only happened 134 times before - the flower 'Amorphophallus titanum', in Danish "the greatest mutable penis" - has flourished under artificial cultivation.

But right now the convent gardener Rasmus in the Botanical Gardens in Copenhagen quite excited about his "penis changeable flower 'is reaching its climax. Amorphophallus titanum is difficult to cultivate as it requires a very precise wate...ring and an environment where there are high ceilings, high temperature and high humidity. There may be many years - up to 17 - before the plant flowers and flowering items most a few days.

Here are some other pictures from Copenhagen's Botanical Garden:
- I was invited for a dinner party years ago, with all the employees there, while John was working there. What fun it was! :)
http://www.google.com/search?q=botanisk+have+copenhagen&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0n_kT_WFGIbHsgaCmb29CQ&ved=0CEMQ_AUoAQ&biw=956&bih=698

phesina
06-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Wow!

happylabs
06-22-2012, 10:10 AM
I must say, that is an unusual penis.

Karen
06-22-2012, 11:15 AM
It was funny watching the time-lapsed photography, as it included some rain, sun and darkness as well!

pomtzu
06-22-2012, 11:34 AM
I've seen this flower on t.v. before. It's also called the corpse flower because of it's foul fragrance that is said to smell like rotting flesh. I think I'd prefer just to view it in pictures tho, and let those with a strong stomach, view it up close and personal! :eek:

Freedom
06-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Like Ellie, I also know it as the corpse flower, due to the smell.

The time lapse image is fascinating!

Randi
06-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Karen, it must have been something else you've seen, because the plant is inside in the palm house. ;)

The flower does smell like rotting meat and is also called a "Corpse Flower", like some of you mention. I didn't go and see it.

Karen
06-22-2012, 01:35 PM
It must have a sprinkler system in the greenhouse, which made it seem like "rain!"