PDA

View Full Version : Groucho and the Vet

momcat
06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Groucho had his check-up with the white coat yesterday. He was really calm about it and almost fell asleep on the examination table while waiting for Dr. Pearson. As things turn out, the vet said he has a slight heart murmur. She said on a scale of 1 to 6 it's barely a 1 but we'll have to keep watching it. Along with that Dr. Pearson said she felt something on his thyroid and explained that this isn't unusual with cats and could have something to do with his heart murmur. She ordered a blood work-up to determine his thyroid level and will do a few other standard tests.

There's a major change going on at home. In about another 3 weeks Soncat will be leaving for the Dominican Republic where he'll be a missionary. Around the time all this started to happen, Groucho started leaving "Groucho Bombs" around the house. He stopped using the litter box for pooping - something he has never done. Usually Groucho is back and forth between both of us but around the time the litter box thing started he hasn't left Mike at all. There were a few other minor behavioral changes too. My thought was (and still is) that Groucho knows something is going on and is reacting to it. Mike doesn't agree. When I told Dr. Pearson about this, she agreed these changes are his way of reacting to something he's aware of but may not understand.

For now, the vet has him on prescription canned food and something for his thyroid (don't remember what it is). Dr. Pearson said results of his lab work should be in tomorrow and she'll call me about what's going on. Fortunately Groucho has always been very healthy but at 11 years old I guess certain things are to be expected. Meowmie over here is nervously waiting and a bit dreading Dr. Pearson's call tomorrow.

Karen
06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Cats certainly know when something is going on, and by changing their litter box habits, are communicating in the best way they know how. Here's hoping his blood tests come back okay, or at least with an indication something is fixable!

Laura's Babies
06-21-2012, 02:54 PM
I hope the white coats have nothing but good news when they call!

momoffuzzyfaces
06-21-2012, 03:17 PM
All paws and fingers crossed here for our pal Groucho!!! :love:

phesina
06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Groucho KNOWS that big changes are in the works in his household.. Cats can read minds, as we all know!

Here's hoping the vet comes back with a good report and/or something that is not hard to treat.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
06-21-2012, 04:50 PM
I hope Soncat leaves a t-shirt of his behind to help Groucho. I hope all his blood levels are ok. Maybe a pet psychic reading would help in that Groucho could be helped to understand all this a bit better.

Take it easy, Groucho - you have a law practice to maintain.:love::love:

cassiesmom
06-21-2012, 04:53 PM
All paws and fingers crossed here for our pal Groucho!!! :love:

Crossed here, too! :love: :love:

lizbud
06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
I hope whatever's wrong is just behavioural in nature & easily fixed in time. I agree, we cannot hide anything
from our little 4 pawed critters. Prayers for a good update tomorrow.

Pinot's Mom
06-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Groucho, Pinot here; friend - I've tried the poop where it shouldn't be - it doesn't work. It just makes the humans cranky. I know you have an inkling your world is about to change and I do sympathize. Give me a call on the Catberry if you need to chat. We've all called on you plenty! Love you, buddy!:love:

Bengalz
06-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Aw Groucho - it's tough knowing somethings going on and you can't explain your feelings about it. You are not alone buddy ... every time mom and dad go away I have this scary feeling inside and even though my cat sitter loves me to death and spoils me rotten, things are never "good" til mom and dad get home again. They call me velcro kitty on those days:rolleyes:. Mom thinks its separation anxiety because I was abandoned as a kitten:(. I just know it doesn't feel good unless I get to go too:).

Don't worry so much - you'll get lots of extra lovings and maybe even treats and pretty soon it will al be better.

Love, Eve:love:.

mrspunkysmom
06-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Groucho, purrayers that you get good news from the white coats. I got upset the morning of meowmie's first heart cath. I was picking up on her silent nervousness. Snuggle up on soncat's shirts and he'll be closer to you while he's gone.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sam

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Dearest Groucho, my sisters and I, we are all crossing our paws and tails for you!!
:love:Your Flemish sweety Inka:love:

momcat
06-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Dr. Pearson called about Groucho's lab tests today. She said his thyroid level is okay but his white blood cell count is up a bit and there's protein in his urine. She said there's nothing to be too concerned about, along with the prescription food Doctor has him on an anti-biotic that might clear up any infection he may have. She wants to see him again in 2-3 weeks as long as things stay as they are now - he's eating and drinking normally and seems to have perked up a bit. At his next visit Dr. Pearson will check his blood pressure and possibly do another CDC panel. Soncat and I will be watching him closely.

RICHARD
06-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Dr. Pearson called about Groucho's lab tests today. She said his thyroid level is okay but his white blood cell count is up a bit and there's protein in his urine. She said there's nothing to be too concerned about, along with the prescription food Doctor has him on an anti-biotic that might clear up any infection he may have. She wants to see him again in 2-3 weeks as long as things stay as they are now - he's eating and drinking normally and seems to have perked up a bit. At his next visit Dr. Pearson will check his blood pressure and possibly do another CDC panel. Soncat and I will be watching him closely.

Hey Groucho!

At one of my "white coat encounters" my doc told me that a lab test showed that I had an elevated glycol level and some other abnormality that showed up with people that showed signs of malnutrition!

So, I had been drinking antifreeze and starving.

I laughed and in the next test I was o.k.!

Wishing you good health and a smile!

catmandu
06-23-2012, 09:40 AM
We are all praying at the Found Cat Hotel for our Pet Attorney Lawyer Groucho:love::love:
What would we Pets do without Grouchos legat intervention, and his stea
Bless be well Groucho, we love you and your steadfast fast protection of Animal rights everywhere:love::love:

mrspunkysmom
06-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Praying Groucho continues to feel better.

krazyaboutkatz
06-23-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're not yourself these days Groucho.:( I hope that the new food and medicine will help you feel better soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.