PDA

View Full Version : Bills..-sigh-

slleipnir
11-18-2002, 02:00 PM
I know this doesn't have anything to do with pets, but anyway.

My dad made me and my bro open a checking account, and then he gaves us both 1000 dollars. Why? He wants us to learn the responsibility of paying the bills on time. We have to get checks, write them out, and deliver them our selves. I personally think its a good idea that maybe more people my age should be doing. I'd rather get in the habit of it now (When it's not my money to mess up on!!:rolleyes: lol, jk) so I'll be better off when I'm living on my own. I just thought of that as I just got another bill (which I just paid off not to long ago!! :mad: ) lol, well, you probably think I'm crazy now :p

Cataholic
11-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Nice papa, that one of yours. I opened my first checking account while in high school, and live by a pretty simple rule..spend what you can afford to, use credit sparingly, save early. What sort of stuff do you have to pay for? Food? Clothes?

Logan
11-18-2002, 02:06 PM
When my daugher, who is 11, starts "wanting" lots of stuff, I sit her down and share our monthly expenses with her. When she sees what it costs, just to live (food, car payment, house payment, clothing, power bills, water bills, etc, it gives her a dose of reality. I'm assuming this is exactly what your dad is trying to accomplish! I'm impressed with his decision, Audrey. It will make you a much better money manager when you're out on your own!!

Good luck!!

HoneyBunny
11-18-2002, 02:12 PM
That's a neat idea. I've been wondering how to teach my future children about money. I was a finance major in school and I grew up in a family with very little "moo-la", so this subject is important to me. It's so hard to know how to teach them without overburdening their minds with adult responsibilities. I think your dad has a wonderful idea! Did he give you the electricity bill? I know that's one that my husband would want to pass along so the kids would learn to turn lights off when they leave the room. He's a fanatic about that... even with me. :rolleyes:

Cataholic
11-18-2002, 02:14 PM
HB- to this day, I don't leave a room with a light on..and I usually only have one light in the house on...well, it is only me and six cats.

WHY? Cause I was 'fined' a nickel every time I forgot to turn a light off as a kid...sheesh..those nickels added up fast!!!

HoneyBunny
11-18-2002, 02:15 PM
Ha, ha! That's so funny. I love these kid tips... someday I'll need them.

Cataholic
11-18-2002, 02:23 PM
It's kinda funny, but, when my friends kids come over, I say things like, "hey, stop walking with your hands "(when they trail their hands down my freshly painted walls), "are you airconditioning the kitchen?" (fridge opened), "why don't you tryp a small piece first" (wasting food is a major problem with me)...

slleipnir
11-18-2002, 04:33 PM
What sort of stuff do you have to pay for? Food? Clothes?

No, just bills for the house. I got internet and cable bill (Only cause I wanted an extra one) and my bro has the electricity. I'm glad I have my licence though, I have todrive pretty far for one of them, but thats ok, I like to drive. I'm really glad my dad is making us do this, I know myself I do leave stuff on that I shouldn't, like I have 2 comps now, and sometimes I leave the one I'm not using on, and before I never actually knew what my dad paid for this, but now I get to look and see for myself..

NoahsMommy
11-18-2002, 05:00 PM
Do they not have a mail service in Canada that can deliver bills? That would be hard for me to have to hand carry my bills to each company...or, can you pay online?

slleipnir
11-18-2002, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I can, but I only have 2, and dad wants us to learn this responsibility, not just paying it online, he says thats too easy or something.

catland
11-18-2002, 06:32 PM
I think that your Dad is doing a great thing for you. I know plenty of adults who never got this kind of education when they were young, and they are paying for it now! They don't know how to save, their credit history is a shambles, and everything costs them more because they don't qualify for low interest rates on loans.

I'm happy to say that I managed to remove myself from the vicious credit card cycle some time ago.

Cookiebaker
11-18-2002, 08:46 PM
Bills *sigh* is right. I was paying bills tonight, and when I got done I was thinking, "wow, I actually have some money left over!!" That lasted until I realized the property tax bill is due next week *gulp* and somehow I had over looked the credit card *gulp again*. I knew it was too good to be true. *sigh* I hate paying bills...so take as much enjoyment now while you can because soon it gets awful.

lynnestankard
11-19-2002, 04:01 PM
Audrey - I think you're Dad's got such a great idea. Wish I'd have thought of it when my two were at home and convinced that money grew on trees!! When grandchildren appear on the scene I'll pass this on to their Mums and hope it helps them. LOL.

Lynne

mugsy
11-19-2002, 04:41 PM
Your dad is a smart man!! The earlier you learn it, the more of a habit it will become. I've had to learn the hard way. Good luck!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-19-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
It's kinda funny, but, when my friends kids come over, I say things like, "hey, stop walking with your hands "(when they trail their hands down my freshly painted walls), "are you airconditioning the kitchen?" (fridge opened), "why don't you tryp a small piece first" (wasting food is a major problem with me)...

I'm the same way, and was raised the same way, and sometimes it is soooo irritating because obviously Terry wasn't, and he leaves lights on, doors open, stands and looks in the fridge with the door wide open, etc., etc.... I try and get him to "see the light" so to speak ;) but it usually doesn't work, and since he pays all the "house" bills, there's not much I can say. The one thing I'm glad I've gotten him to do is turn the heat down further at night. I was raised in Northern WI, and I love cold nights when you snuggle under all the covers piled on top of you, and I couldn't do it when he didn't turn the heat down. The cost of it all doesn't bother me because I know he can afford it, but it's the needless waste that bothers me. If everyone would just do a little bit, just think of all the energy we could save - and how much less dependent we'd be on that darn Middle East for their oil (sorry to anyone who may live over there, but us Americans are just way too wasteful for my taste).

slleipnir, your dad is really doing a great thing by making you responsible before you're actually out on your own and getting yourself in financial trouble. More parents should do something like this. :)

PS - another thing I was taught that obviously Terry wasn't was - if you open a door/drawer, close it; if you use something, put it back where it belongs :mad: He's great about putting things back where they belong when it comes to his tools and things, but other than that.....:mad: Sorry, I digress..... :)

mugsy
11-19-2002, 06:32 PM
Hey T&PM, where are you from in Northern Wisconsin?? My parents had a home just north of Hayward on the Eau Claire Chain.