PDA

View Full Version : [warning: graphic image]One of many reasons to spay/neuter your pets

Jessika
06-20-2012, 10:08 AM

What you are looking at is a healthy uterus and ovaries on the right of a 35# dog.

The one on the left is the uterus and very diseased ovary of a 9# cat.

Biopsy results came back yesterday.... BOTH ovaries were cancerous :(

These owners had adopted this cat under the impression/understanding that she'd already been spayed. I'm unsure of where they got her from, but someone (intentionally?) misinformed them, and now she is paying the price for someone's negligence. She's still doing well, but the lab gave her a guarded prognosis. Poor girl :(

pomtzu
06-20-2012, 10:24 AM

What you are looking at is a healthy uterus and ovaries on the right of a 35# dog.

The one on the left is the uterus and very diseased ovary of a 9# cat.

Biopsy results came back yesterday.... BOTH ovaries were cancerous :(

These owners had adopted this cat under the impression/understanding that she'd already been spayed. I'm unsure of where they got her from, but someone (intentionally?) misinformed them, and now she is paying the price for someone's negligence. She's still doing well, but the lab gave her a guarded prognosis. Poor girl :(

Can you please move this to the Dog House section if you must post it at all.

Karen
06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
I moved it to The Dog House for her.

pomtzu
06-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I moved it to The Dog House for her.

Thank you. It may be reality, but it was disgusting to view.

Jessika
06-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Thank you. It may be reality, but it was disgusting to view.

I apologize for that, but I did put a warning in the title stating there was a graphic image.

pomtzu
06-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I apologize for that, but I did put a warning in the title stating there was a graphic image.

I know - but the warning message was cut off - and as soon as I clicked on the first part of the title - the picture came up. If I had been able to see the warning, I would not have opened it.

No problem - but I thought perhaps others that would not care to see it, would do the same as I did.

sasvermont
06-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Jessika, most, if not all, of us do spay and neuter our pets here at Pet Talk. I was surprised at the imagine and did not see the warning until I opened the thread.

Pet Talk folks are usually intelligent, up to date people who "get it". I am not sure this post is necessary. I suppose if it wakes up one person who is asleep, then fine.

To each his own.

Too graphic for me.

Jessika
06-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Jessika, most, if not all, of us do spay and neuter our pets here at Pet Talk. I was surprised at the imagine and did not see the warning until I opened the thread.

Pet Talk folks are usually intelligent, up to date people who "get it". I am not sure this post is necessary. I suppose if it wakes up one person who is asleep, then fine.

To each his own.

Too graphic for me.

I am not, and never did, imply that anyone here did not spay/neuter their pets. This post was moreso just reaffirming the reasons WHY we do it. And I was also saddened by the fact that the cat's life is now going to be cut much shorter than it needed to be because previous owners didn't spay her. Her current owners are great people, and I am saddened by the whole thing.

I know - but the warning message was cut off - and as soon as I clicked on the first part of the title - the picture came up. If I had been able to see the warning, I would not have opened it.

No problem - but I thought perhaps others that would not care to see it, would do the same as I did.

I can see the entire title on my monitor from the forum, but I can understand how those on smaller resolutions/monitors may not see it or it may get cut off. Thank you for pointing that out, and I will move it to the beginning of the title instead. My apologies again.

happylabs
06-20-2012, 02:05 PM
I have a 21 in monitor and the warning did not show up here either. I was wondering why.

I agree with the others...graphic...and we don't need to be reminded why we do it.

Karen
06-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Remember, Pet Talk folks, many, many people "lurk" here, or browse our forums and read threads without ever joining Pet Talk, or logging in if they are members. I convinced Jessika to keep the thread open, as its existence may indeed convince someone the importance of spaying, even if you and I never know about it. If you ever view "who's Online" and see many "guests" active, you'll see what I mean.

Also, if you - as someone who already knows the importance of spaying female dogs and cats - runs into someone who says "Well, my cat will be indoors, so she doesn't need to be spayed" or any of the other excuses people give, you can point them to this thread, and that very graphic image. With some people saying "it helps prevent cancer" just sounds like a meaningless platitude, but that image, as scary as it is, might stick in their minds.

We all run into ignorance from time to time, and can add this example to your arsenal to combat it, if you want. Education can only help!

sasvermont
06-21-2012, 06:43 AM
All of this confusion could have been avoided in the first place, if the photos had been "attached" so that the reader has the option of viewing them or not!

Thanks for changing them to an attachment! Much better!!

moosmom
06-21-2012, 07:31 AM
We kinda got off point here.

Spaying a cat can save their life. If a female is not spayed, the chances are greater of her contacting pyometria. Pyometria is a deadly infection that can kill both the cat and any babies she may have.

My Munchkin had pyometria. Her breeder spent thousands of dollars trying to stop it because she wanted her to have babies. She almost died.

Bottom line is, it's very important to get your pets spayed/neutered for their own health and well being.