PDA

View Full Version : Our first day at the shelter...

NoahsMommy
11-18-2002, 01:28 PM
My husband and I had our orientation at the local (well...over an hour away...but at least we have one) Humane Society. It was so great, we met all the dogs, cats and even the beautiful hawk and a bald eagle! (I think their names were Glory and Liberty). We learned how to take the dogs out for walks and how to get them back in their cages.

We had about an hour free before we had another appointment to get to, so we played with the cats outside in their "pen". It was so great! There was a cat named Kit that I just can't stop thinking about. She licked our hands, snuggled up next to us, played with a ball and laid in the sun. She's a sweetie. There were so many really great cats there, I just know they will make someone very happy.

This shelter get's pretty busy (people wise)...so hopefully these sweeties wont be there that long. It was an amazing day...I'm so glad we are doing this...time well worth spent.

toughCookie
11-18-2002, 01:53 PM
congratulations! I bet that was so fun, and it is wonderful of your and your husband to volunteer! I bet the humane society is happy to get 2 new, caring volunteers :) it will be hard to not want to take them all home! kind of like working in a bookstore or craft store, or clothing store, you are tempted by all that you see! when do you start ? you will be a great volunteer, the doggies and kitties are lucky!

lynnestankard
11-18-2002, 02:09 PM
Way to Go Kelly!!!!! What a wonderful thing for you both to do.
You're going to have to be sooooo strong and not come home trailing lines of furbabies behind you!!!:D :D

Carry on with the good work. :) :)

Lynne

kimlovescats
11-18-2002, 02:14 PM
That is so wonderful! Alot of my kitties came from our local Humane Rabies Shelter as well. I would have a very tough time not taking them all home too! ;) But what you are doing is GREAT!

jenluckenbach
11-18-2002, 02:33 PM
Helping keep the animals at a shelter socialized is probably more important than people think. The cats/dogs are in cages or runs forgeting what is was like to have a family. That makes it harder to adjust to a new family when they are lucky enopugh to get adopted. The more contact with people that they can have the better.......What I am trying to ay is....WAY TO GO....And thank you from the animals.

NoahsMommy
11-18-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Helping keep the animals at a shelter socialized is probably more important than people think. The cats/dogs are in cages or runs forgeting what is was like to have a family. That makes it harder to adjust to a new family when they are lucky enopugh to get adopted. The more contact with people that they can have the better.......
This is the EXACT reason that I don't feel I need to take them home. I've told myself that I'm preparing them for their destined owner...that and I have two cat hating cats at home...Basil, however, loves other cats. I mean...no he doesn't. :)

The animals are so loved and they have so many volunteers! There were at least twenty volunteers there while we were there. The person that did the orientation is a full time employee and said there is a couple that lives on premises so that the animals have 24 hour care. Neat huh? Talk about a dream job huh?

Lillycat
11-18-2002, 04:23 PM
what a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful thing you are doing ......and you are so right in thinking your time there will help them acclimate to their new home-to-be!!!

smokey the elder
11-19-2002, 08:03 AM
Wow! Where is this paragon of animal care? On the right coast it's all we can do to get any volunteers. Please send some of these guys to NY.:p

Christiansmommy
11-19-2002, 09:22 AM
That's really neat that you and your husband are volunteers. Those animals can use all the love that they can get!! :) Once my son is older and maybe in Kindergarden (right now he is at home with me)...I wouldnt mind volunteering at the local shelter. I love visiting the shelters and seeing all of those cute dogs and cats!! Its wonderful that people love animals so much that they volunteer...animal lovers are the friendliest people around!!

wayne0214
11-20-2002, 06:45 AM
Remembering the day I adopeted Amy. I went to the Visalia, Calif. animal shelter about 2 weeks earlier, and picked her up from her cage. She was so loveable, that I thought to myself, "I am sure someone will take her before long". Yet, I returned 2 weeks later and she was still there, so I adopeted her. If there was an animal shelter of considerable size close by, I would volunteer my services also. But even now, I am considering driving the 100 mile round trip in order to be with the pets.

................wayne

jenluckenbach
11-20-2002, 03:52 PM
Wayne, you ARE an animal shelter !!!!!

that's what my vet always tells me, anyway.

wayne0214
11-21-2002, 05:05 AM
jen. you know, I never thought of that:D OK, so I am operating my own private animal shelter, the only difference is, I suppose, is that mine are not caged up.;)

........wayne

jenluckenbach
11-21-2002, 06:14 AM
Not all shelters cage their animals. Well, the SPCA or county humane societies do, bit we have quite a number of rescue organizations in my area and several of them have bulidings for their cats. Roaming freely with the other cats. I think this is the best not only for the cats, but the cats act more natural toward their perspective people this way. You, as an adopter, can interact with them better than when they are caged............SOOOOOOOOOOOO.....you (and I, and several others) qualify !!!!!!!:D

Cataholic
11-21-2002, 08:13 AM
I want to qualify, too! How many more do you think I need before I become a cattery?

jenluckenbach
11-21-2002, 01:56 PM
OK fellow "independant cat shelters" what do you think???? 4 maybe 5 more?

Barbara
11-21-2002, 02:48 PM
I guess a dozen is minimum to change from a herd to a shelter.

wolflady
11-21-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

The person that did the orientation is a full time employee and said there is a couple that lives on premises so that the animals have 24 hour care. Neat huh? Talk about a dream job huh?

That would be a dream job! How neat! Which Humane Society is this again? I really would love to have a career with animals someday. It could happen! ;) Enjoy your volunteering experience!
**hugs**

NoahsMommy
11-21-2002, 03:30 PM
A cattery....hee hee!! :D

Karen, the shelter is in Ojai, CA. But don't you get any ideas! We're coming UP THERE. :) ;) :p

And guess what....our Thanksgiving is becoming a huge family drama...so, we're coming back early (Friday) and we get to go see the animals on Saturday now!!! YAY!!! :D

Lillycat
11-21-2002, 05:23 PM
i think any number over 4 should qualify......my three keep me verrry busy!:eek:

wayne0214
11-21-2002, 05:36 PM
There is a rescue place in Bartlesville, Okla., who has about 36 cats (I think) who allows them to run through the building. The only problem is that it is difficult to clean up after them, and more than an few volunteers are needed. This is the same place that denied me a flame point siamese that I wanted to adopt, because they said I have too many cats already!

............wayne

smokey the elder
11-22-2002, 08:42 AM
Don't take it personally. My rescue group looks really hard at people with >10 cats because of potential hoarders. Usually personal and vet references, and the home visit, put our worries to rest.

Besides, maybe your RB kitty was telling the shelter folk, No, he needs to adopt Otis.
:)

wayne0214
11-24-2002, 06:33 AM
Smokey the elder, OK on the Otis adoption. I wouldn't trade him for anything. I enjoy his maturity and patience, which is somethint that none of my other furkids seem to posess. It could be their ages -all are less that 2 years old.

Speaking of hoarding cats, did you all see on Animal Planet in Detroit, Mich. where this man allowed cats to multiply under his house. The "animal cops" stated that they got 247 cats out from there. Of course they were all living in filthy conditions, and all of them were feral. What a sad situation for all those kitties. I often wonder if any of them could be domesticated, if someone had the time to work with them?

........wayne