PDA

View Full Version : HOW to Greet a Dog -

Freedom
06-18-2012, 07:46 PM
I wish this was taught in schools. I especially love the line: Show my dog some RESPECT!!!

I had the 3 fluffss at the Rehab to visit Dad for Father's Day. One CNA was SO excited to see them lying on his bed, she passed the door to his room so she could put something down, then she JUMPED backwards into the door way, arms up (like a "stick 'em up" pose) and screeched! :rolleyes: I now had 3 scared dogs barking like mad. I had to tell her to put her arms down, and not to make eye contact. Lucky for me, I had a baggie of cheese with me. Once I got them settled, I had to come in slowly, extend a hand and let them sniff, NO EYE CONTACT. She did get to pet them after that.

Later on the way out I saw her again, I advised her, "don't EVER do that to a dog you don't know! You could get bit in the face!" Darn idiot

snakemama
06-18-2012, 10:30 PM
How to greet a dog was the first lesson we learned in vet tech school. I was shocked at how many people wanted to work with animals but didn't know how to approach an unfamiliar dog!

MoonandBean
06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
I am guilty of the big smoochola on the muzzle but not until I have bonded with the dog. Still....I always know it's a risk as any dog can bite a stranger if they feel threatened. I just can't help myself :D

Taz_Zoee
06-19-2012, 09:41 AM
The reach your hand out so they can sniff is the most common thing you see people do. In fact I do it too! But I'd never approach a dog without asking the owner if it's okay in the first place. At the dog park I don't approach dogs. I let them approach me then I'll pet them if they want it.

I've come across children who are obviously taught puppy manners by their parents. They ask if they can pet the dog first. That's the BEST thing to teach a child, along with the above items.

pomtzu
06-19-2012, 10:26 AM
That's great info, Sandie. I for one, am guilty of bending over and letting them sniff my hand, but I don't try to touch them unless the owner gives the okay. And the only place I do this, is at the vet's office or Petsmart, since I have no need to go to a dog park and I don't live in the burbs where there are a lot of dogs being walked.
Heck - even your own dogs can be unpredictable. One of my RB Lhasas sent me to the ER to have my lip stitched up, after I put my face right up to his. My fault tho - he was growling and telling me to back off, but I didn't listen to his message, so I paid the price. :(

Freedom
06-19-2012, 09:06 PM
We often encounter the same children as we walk the neighborhood; and we have a large apartment complex we walk through so the children change. I always instruct them to ask first before petting. If the same child doesn't "get' it after 2 different times, I won't allow that child to pet my pups the third time, lol. One little girl got upset and ran and told her mum. Cute little 4 year old, told her mom the WHOLE story! Mom came over and thanked me for not letting her pet them ha ha haaaa

Jessika
06-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I would also love to add to that -- ask permission first before coming up to a dog and petting it! For children mostly, but adults too. I was recently at a pet event with Jamie and while she is VERY well behaved and tolerant of strangers petting and hugging on her, many many MANY children would just run up to her and hug on her or pet her (some out of nowhere) and the parents didn't even correct them! But many children did ask permission first (and I thanked them for it!). I know that Jamie is fine, but what if she had been a face-shy dog? That child would have been bit, and I would have been the "bad guy"! And not to mention, it's just the polite thing to do.

Karen
06-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Anyone who wants can use me - yes, me - as an example.

When I was 4 years old, a neighbor dog who I had only ever seen over the fence before got loose and ran into my yard. Reggie was a smallish dog, maybe small beagle size but skinnier, a little terrier mix. Being the child I was I told him to sit and then gave him a big hug. He instantly chomped down on my face - my bottom lip to be exact, and I let go, cried out and was just stunned! As my mother was trying to wipe the blood of my face as I cried, I clearly remember her telling me, "Karen, not all dogs are hugging dogs. You always have to ask permission. Reggie probably thought you were trying to squeeze him to death, he just bit so you would let go."

And if you meet me in person, I can show you the scar to this very day. It's only obvious when I make certain faces, but it IS there!

SWHouston
06-20-2012, 01:05 AM
Without that simple compassionate explanation, you could have become a Dog Hater, instead of a Dog Lover.

A very wise woman...your Mother. ;)

pomtzu
06-20-2012, 05:56 AM
And if you meet me in person, I can show you the scar to this very day. It's only obvious when I make certain faces, but it IS there!

Same here Karen, but in the years since the bite, I have acquired a lot more lines so it's hard to tell one from the other - bite line from age line. :rolleyes: Mine runs from just below my nose into my top lip, since when he latched on to me I pulled back in surprise, so it was a nice tear. Talk about a fat lip..........:eek:

Suki Wingy
06-20-2012, 09:50 PM
I usually squat down to the dog's level enough away from them so that I don't scare them with the downward motion, then extend a closed fist for them to come to. And I never ever put my hand above their face unless I slide it from their neck up to their back.

mrspunkysmom
06-21-2012, 10:00 PM
I just stand or sit still and let the dog make the first move. And ask permission first always. Most of the time I just talk to the owner since I don't know what type of training they have implemented and I don't want to mess it up.

Shouldn't treat cats that way either. Might get slapped or clawed before the cat runs. Or have the cat chomp on your hand. RB Rose bit me hard in the hand once and for no reason. She was chronically grumpy. When I approach Sam, I have to extend my hand and get his approval first. The same with Ash, the store cat.

While I was visiting my friend's pet supply store nearby, a lady and her children came in looking around. noisy lot. The mom came over to Ash, the store cat, and stuck her face in the cat's face and aid all that silly screechy, cute kitty stuff, before I could grab Ash. Ash restrained herself rather well. She's been known to slap. One of her children tried to follow suit and Ash was in my arms seeking refuge. I found her a high refuge after some reassuring loving.

People need to engage the brain cells and learn to respect all others.

SWHouston
06-21-2012, 11:22 PM
This probably wrong, but...

I think it has a lot to do with the demeanor of the person, how they carry themselves (non threatening) possibly scent as well.

I rarely have to ask someone given that the animal usually approaches me first. I usually just extend my hand (palm down and relaxed) watch their reaction, and most times, they give me permission to give them a gentle stroke on the head. They can tell you love them, even if you don't own them. :love:

IF I don't see that "receptiveness", it's back off time. :eek:

BTW, I got both sides in my guys, Becca never met a stranger, and Sneakers doesn't like anyone (else). :confused:

Freedom
06-22-2012, 07:32 AM
This probably wrong, but...

BTW, I got both sides in my guys, Becca never met a stranger, and Sneakers doesn't like anyone (else). :confused:

To me, that's the fun of having multiples -- you get to see many different personalities, and how they interact with one another, with people, if one waits and lets the other go first, etc. I find it fascinating!

SWHouston
06-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Freedom,

You've touched on something that's near and dear to my heart. that being "personalities". I've had a lot of animals in my life, and am continually amazed, flabbergasted, and pleased, with the vast diversification and individual characteristics of each. (ok, I admit I'm a Dog person).

I have for quite some time now, been very careful about "my" influence in raising one of my animals. I have often said "let them be Dogs", and beyond the basic training (recall/sit/stay) I try to coax out (most times by omission of directing them) their natural instincts. That is the key (IMHO) to their individual development of their personality.

And, excuse me for doing a little breast beating, but, I've had some very rewarding results, however, I readily admit, all I do is just open the door.

Freedom
06-22-2012, 06:05 PM
I think I am more proactive. I try the raise my pets as I think I'd have raised children, helping them to develop to their full potential. Which with some such as Willy, also helps the full IMP out! :p

SWHouston
06-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Well, just from his picture, he radiates rascalness, you may have had nothing to do with it. :D :D

Freedom
06-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Ha ha haaaaa, he is a fun boy to have around, bit of a challenge, much improved in the almost 2 years we've had him.

beeniesmom
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
LOVE IT! I saw it a few weeks ago and posted to my FB!