PDA

View Full Version : Dear Dad....

RICHARD
06-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi Dad,

I thought about you a lot yesterday.

I was out in the garage putting together some shelves for the closet and you were on my mind.

Actually?

I think about you quite a bit when I am doing stuff like that.

I think about all the times I sat at your side, asking stupid questions about fixing a water line, putting in a light switch or doignn stuff around the house.

When I get into a bind and sit back and think about the problem at hand I'll stop and wonder how YOU would handle it.

Believe it or not? You have helped me thru so many projects and held my hand when I thought there was no way to get things done.

Thanks Dad, for showing me that a tantrum wasn't anything to be thrown at a problem, only determination, elbow grease and a little ingenuity.

When the going gets tough?

I often hear you say, "You are not going to beat me....." when something comes up. I repeat that same mantra, just like a secret prayer or magic saying, and you know what?

It does work.

-------------

Thanks for teaching me that a Sunday car trip wasn't a destination.

It was an adventure and long before GPS told you where to go, you went where you wanted to go. Sometimes it was not where you thought you were taking the clan, but it was always somewhere interesting.

Thanks for the camping trips and the non-conventional tent.

I can never go near old canvas without thinking of that evil, smelly tent.

And that GD centerpole that had the spinters or pinched you hand.

--------

Thanks for teaching me how to improvise when I had a problem to solve and for being more creative than MacGuyver.

(Dad, McGuyver had more hair and a cool Swiss Army Knife, but he only showed up on TV and wasn't there when I needed him.....)

Thanks for teaching me about teflon tape, how to change a tire and all the simple little things to get stuff done.

If the truth were known? I think that 95% of all the handywork I have done in my life has a root in what you taught me.

------------

Thanks Dad, for teaching me patience, that sometimes not saying anything gets more mileage than a tirade and how to treat a woman.

Thanks for a bunch of little things that have a root in what you taught me.

Thanks for taking me to a ball game, playing catch and speding time with me.

Thanks for not buying me everything I ever wanted. Thanks for putting up with me during my AH years and letting me help you during your last ones.

Dad, You have been gone for 11 years now....nope, you haven't been really gone.

You have been here, by my side and in my heart and especially when I have to sit down and think things thru.

I wish you were here to see who and what I have become in the years since you left.

Somehow, I don't think you would care.

You gave me enough of yourself so that you would never have to worry about who I'd become.

Happy Father's Day, a day late?

But then again, everyday is Father's Day, when I think about you.

pomtzu
06-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Wow - LES here, darn you!

If only all kids had a dad like that - including my own kids.......:(

You're a very lucky man, Richard.

Bengalz
06-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Richard your post is fantastic - you make your Dad proud:love:.

Laura's Babies
06-18-2012, 11:16 AM
You made your Dad proud!

That is one of the most touching posts I have ever read on any forum anywhere!

katladyd
06-18-2012, 12:30 PM
That was one of the best posts ever on this site. Sadly, I could never write something like that about my dad. Alcoholism robbed me of a father. But I sure could about my mom! Thank you for making me think about all the wonderful things she taught me.:)

Catty1
06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
:love:

phesina
06-18-2012, 03:11 PM
That's beautiful, Richard. Thank you.

happylabs
06-18-2012, 05:38 PM
That is so special. What a nice tribute.

sana
06-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Aw! Richard, that was a lovely post. I especially love the last three lines,

You gave me enough of yourself so that you would never have to worry about who I'd become.

Happy Father's Day, a day late?

But then again, everyday is Father's Day, when I think about you. :love:

That was really sweet! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=51044&d=1298182034

gini
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Richard, how very very proud your father must be of you. Oh yes, he knows.......and he is watching. And he loves you.