PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Nail Caps/Soft Paws?

Jessika
06-09-2012, 04:30 PM
So I am pretty against declawing, I feel there are better alternatives to doing it, and in my experiences thus far if you give your cats furniture they CAN claw at, they tend to leave your stuff alone.

But then I got Voltron. He's a little over a year old now, and up until this point, we've not had any problems with him clawing things. But it doesn't seem that he is actively clawing at things, but rather doesn't understand how to appropriately do things without using his nails... for example, when he kneads now, he fully extends his nails into whatever he is making biscuits on. It doesn't bother me as much when it's a fleece blanket so much as when it's my lap/arms/face. It hurts. He also has this new habit where he will stretch up or jump onto objects/furniture and use his nails to climb said object.

It isn't like he is stretching out and ripping my couch to shreds, he is just using his nails inappropriately. And we trim both cats' nails on a very regular basis. They have scratching posts and multiple scratching pads that they do use a lot. Pretzel, on the other hand, has absolutely perfect nail etiquette. And so did Voltron only until lately!!

He has scratched up my boyfriend's brand new bedroom set (the mirror, the headboard, the frame, our drawers...) just from doing normal things like walking or stretching!!!, and we just ordered new couches that will be delivered in a week and after paying as much as we did I really want to make sure this won't remain a problem.

Is anyone familiar with Soft Paws? I've never had to use stuff like this before and this really is the only alternative because I'm pretty against declawing a cat, especially at his age.

Freckles
06-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Click on above search. Might answer your questions.http://petoftheday.com/talk/search.php?searchid=108384

Now try the link. Should work!!

Jessika
06-09-2012, 04:52 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/search.php?searchid=108317

Click on above search. Might answer your questions.

No matches via that link, but I'll try it, thank you

krazyaboutkatz
06-09-2012, 05:40 PM
I've never used these before. Does he like catnip? If so then I'd buy some catnip spray and then spray it on the scratching posts. Hopefully this will get him to use those more. I have my couch and recliner covered with furniture covers. You might want to try to do this so he won't start scratching the new furniture too. Most cats don't like the smell of citrus so maybe you could spray the bedroom furniture with this. Does he have to be in your bedroom? Maybe you could just keep the bedroom door closed. I have to do this with my 4 younger cats so they won't get into things in my bedroom. Good luck.

Jessika
06-09-2012, 06:01 PM
I've never used these before. Does he like catnip? If so then I'd buy some catnip spray and then spray it on the scratching posts. Hopefully this will get him to use those more. I have my couch and recliner covered with furniture covers. You might want to try to do this so he won't start scratching the new furniture too. Most cats don't like the smell of citrus so maybe you could spray the bedroom furniture with this. Does he have to be in your bedroom? Maybe you could just keep the bedroom door closed. I have to do this with my 4 younger cats so they won't get into things in my bedroom. Good luck.
He isn't being destructive on purpose, though; he uses the cat furniture very well. It's more of just having poor nail etiquette when he jumps, kneads, stretches, walks across stuff, etc. He doesn't -have- to be in the bedroom but he will yowl and paw/claw at the carpet outside the door if we close him out (even accidentally). Again, I don't want to punish him because he isn't being bad/destructive on purpose, I just think he has bad manners about when/where/how he uses them.

I really hope this all makes sense. =/

krazyaboutkatz
06-09-2012, 06:14 PM
He isn't being destructive on purpose, though; he uses the cat furniture very well. It's more of just having poor nail etiquette when he jumps, kneads, stretches, walks across stuff, etc. He doesn't -have- to be in the bedroom but he will yowl and paw/claw at the carpet outside the door if we close him out (even accidentally). Again, I don't want to punish him because he isn't being bad/destructive on purpose, I just think he has bad manners about when/where/how he uses them.

I really hope this all makes sense. =/

Well if there's enough room in your bedroom, then maybe you could put some scratching posts near the bedroom furniture. I have two cat condos in my bedroom and steps covered with berber carpet for my 4 older cats to scratch on. I really don't know what else to suggest. Good luck.:)

Jessika
06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
He isn't scratching on purpose though, just from normal things like walking or trying to jump up on the furniture. He uses the scratching posts and cat furniture that we have already just fine.

We're getting our new couches in a few weeks and I would hate for him to "make biscuits" on them and tear them up.